Speculation: What is the best use of our assets this offseason?

Who should we target in the offseason

• Total voters

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If that’s the case then, what options do we have to be better?

I want a PPG center. Don’t get me wrong there, but Tavares is our only shot at this point (barring something completely unforeseen). Thomas looks like he could reasonably be a low end #1, but I would estimate that is in the 60 point range. That’s the going rate for a bottom end #1. O’ Reilly was 33rd in C scoring this year with 61 points. That’s essentially what I hope Thomas can become (hopefully better, but I am trying to be reasonable).
It's about cost. I've said in a vacuum he's an absolute positive. I see Parayko for ROR, and that's a bad trade. Adding anyone from Buffalo on defense makes the deal even worse. Some said....sign a FA, well let's just sign Tavares because FA is a crap shoot.

If the Blues can get ROR for expendable assets, then I'm all for it, but I doubt that's the case.

I'm starting to see and hear 3OA for ROR.....if that's an option then Armstrong has to walk away and not look back

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It's about cost. I've said in a vacuum he's an absolute positive. I see Parayko for ROR, and that's a bad trade. Adding anyone from Buffalo on defense makes the deal even worse. Some said....sign a FA, well let's just sign Tavares because FA is a crap shoot.

If the Blues can get ROR for expendable assets, then I'm all for it, but I doubt that's the case.

I'm starting to see and hear 3OA for ROR.....if that's an option then Armstrong has to walk away and not look back
I don't disagree. The only point I am making is that a 60 point player (in a vacuum) combined with what we have is better than anything we had in the near past.

In the 14-15 season we probably had our best center lineup:
Backes 58 pts
Stastny 46 pts
Lethera 44 pts

= 148 pts

If we can expect the same production from Schenn and O'Reilly next year, as they had for this year, then our team might look something like this:
Schenn 70 pts
O' Reilly 51 pts
Thomas 40 pts
= 161 pts

Thats a pretty good lineup, as you essentially have a mid-end #1 C, a top end #2 and a mid-end #3. Like you, the cost the will be the tipping point for me.

If ROR costs us Parayko, then we better have a #2D coming back. Two way defensemen are not easy to find, nor are they cheap. We can ill-afford to not have a very stable defensive presence on the second pairing. With Dunn in that position on the left, that leaves Parayko's spot to fill the defensive rock, and RHD are even harder to find.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So, if Tavares and ROR are out, then what are our options? It seems we will be in a very tight spot next year without one of them.

What I don't want is a 40-45 point center. That just makes us a worse team. I would almost rather make larger, more risky trades at that point.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So, if Tavares and ROR are out, then what are our options? It seems we will be in a very tight spot next year without one of them.
For me, see what you have with Thomas. I also dont see this team plus ROR making alot of noise anyways.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

What I don't want is a 40-45 point center. That just makes us a worse team. I would almost rather make larger, more risky trades at that point.

Bozak and Kyle Dubas will chase Army in the corner and put him pay a lot to acquire Bozak.

Mikkola + 2nd/3rd <-> Bozak

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't disagree. The only point I am making is that a 60 point player (in a vacuum) combined with what we have is better than anything we had in the near past.

In the 14-15 season we probably had our best center lineup:
Backes 58 pts
Stastny 46 pts
Lethera 44 pts

= 148 pts

If we can expect the same production from Schenn and O'Reilly next year, as they had for this year, then our team might look something like this:
Schenn 70 pts
O' Reilly 51 pts
Thomas 40 pts
= 161 pts

Thats a pretty good lineup, as you essentially have a mid-end #1 C, a top end #2 and a mid-end #3. Like you, the cost the will be the tipping point for me.

If ROR costs us Parayko, then we better have a #2D coming back. Two way defensemen are not easy to find, nor are they cheap. We can ill-afford to not have a very stable defensive presence on the second pairing. With Dunn in that position on the left, that leaves Parayko's spot to fill the defensive rock, and RHD are even harder to find.

O'Reilly hit 61 points this year, not 51. So the 160 number is doable with some regression from Schenn/O'Reilly or if Thomas struggles to hit his stride immediately and clocks in at 30 points.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Bozak is a free agent.
Ty, I was thinking that he would had 1-year left in his contract. So Bozak is our answer and doesn't even cost us anything.

Shhhh.....let him enjoy his misguided Army bashing

giphy.gif

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
O'Reilly hit 61 points this year, not 51. So the 160 number is doable with some regression from Schenn/O'Reilly or if Thomas struggles to hit his stride immediately and clocks in at 30 points.
So even better. Thanks for the correction. On a bunch of meds, so things are a little fuzzy right now.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
If Tavares is not an option and the ask for ROR is significant I would push for Stastny on a ~4.5/5m 3 year contract with front loaded payout and easy to move terms.

I personally would look to add a center through free agency over trade, and use our assets for a winger. Addition of something like Stastny and Simmonds would actually be a satisfactory offseason IMO. Thinking of that as sort of a bridge until our youngins mature.

I alternatively will not at all be upset if we sit pat and do nothing. If we can’t make substantial improvements this offseason I am ok with a year of transition and maturation of our prospects. Look for available term forwards at the deadline, and await free agency. Tyler Seguin is a palatable addition if that’s a possibility.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Tavares is not an option and the ask for ROR is significant I would push for Stastny on a ~4.5/5m 3 year contract with front loaded payout and easy to move terms.

I personally would look to add a center through free agency over trade, and use our assets for a winger. Addition of something like Stastny and Simmonds would actually be a satisfactory offseason IMO. Thinking of that as sort of a bridge until our youngins mature.

I alternatively will not at all be upset if we sit pat and do nothing. If we can’t make substantial improvements this offseason I am ok with a year of transition and maturation of our prospects. Look for available term forwards at the deadline, and await free agency. Tyler Seguin is a palatable addition if that’s a possibility.
Tyler Seguin is not a possibility. He’s even less likely than Tavares. And I’d be surprised if he left Dallas, I can’t think of any reason he would.

There could be a few other solid options but standing pat and waiting until next year isn’t really acceptable. This is 100% NOT a transition year. The last 2 years were transition years. If we make it 3 you’re entering a rebuild. That’s awful.

But luckily that won’t happen. The Blues need to make the playoffs and judging by Armstrong’s comments he won’t settle for another year like last season, I’m sure of that.

Reactions: Brian39

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd agree Seguin is less likely then the not very likely Tavares. With that said, he hasn't really tasted long term success in Dallas. He may wait to see how Dallas does this year.

As for Standing pat or making moves. It just depends on what were looking to do. Gutting the team/prospects for a guy like ROR isnt that path IMO but signing guys like Bozak or Stastny, were still not going anywhere imo.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd agree Seguin is less likely then the not very likely Tavares. With that said, he hasn't really tasted long term success in Dallas. He may wait to see how Dallas does this year.

As for Standing pat or making moves. It just depends on what were looking to do. Gutting the team/prospects for a guy like ROR isnt that path IMO but signing guys like Bozak or Stastny, were still not going anywhere imo.
Seguin has already won a Cup so it’s not like he’s desperate to chase one. At this point in his life as a young guy I’d say lifestyle is probably more important to him and based on everything I’ve read he loves Dallas and is great friends with Benn. So like I said, I’d be very surprised if he left because they’ll pay him what he deserves.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Seguin has already won a Cup so it’s not like he’s desperate to chase one. At this point in his life as a young guy I’d say lifestyle is probably more important to him and based on everything I’ve read he loves Dallas and is great friends with Benn. So like I said, I’d be very surprised if he left because they’ll pay him what he deserves.
Yea, I'm not really disagreeing. I think hell tease the market though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad