Speculation: What is the best use of our assets this offseason?

Who should we target in the offseason

• Total voters

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
ROR would be the best fit, but he’d cost the most. In the case that we traded for him, Fabbri would likely be involved. After the deal, I think we’d probably go after Kovalchuk to fill that void on the left side(RHS). If not him, we’d need to trade for a Silfverberg type guy to go in our middle 6.

Something along the lines of

Schwartz-O’Reilly-Schenn
Kovalchuk-Thomas-Tarasenko
Steen-Berglund-Kyrou
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov/Jaskin
or

Steen-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Berglund-Thomas-Silfverberg

That’s a roster full of scoring and two way play, which would appeal to most fans.

I would love Kessel though, and I think in that case, we’d just throw our winger depth in the faces of the UFA centers. There’s no way Stastny wouldn’t have his best year with the Blues with Fabbri and Kessel on his wings. That and they wouldn’t even be the first line. Everyone also thought he’d bring back more in his last trade, and TOR retained too.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am having a hard time because I don’t see this acquisition as a one scenario situation. The timing of such a trade is huge factor for who I would select. If we signed Tavares, then I would go one way. If we had to select a player at the draft, I would go another way. If we signed Stastny, I would select someone else. If...... I just can’t see a sure fire answer here.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I am having a hard time because I don’t see this acquisition as a one scenario situation. The timing of such a trade is huge factor for who I would select. If we signed Tavares, then I would go one way. If we had to select a player at the draft, I would go another way. If we signed Stastny, I would select someone else. If...... I just can’t see a sure fire answer here.

That maybe all we have though. If the Win. 1st is in play, then we would have to make a move prior to UFA. It is a really tough position to be in because we don't know if we will wind up with any of the 3 UFA centers.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
That maybe all we have though. If the Win. 1st is in play, then we would have to make a move prior to UFA. It is a really tough position to be in because we don't know if we will wind up with any of the 3 UFA centers.
Do we have to trade the 2018 first or can we trade the 2019 1st instead?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I didn't vote because I don't think we can make a decision until the Tavares lottery is over.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Every time I see a Blues lineup with Kovalchuk in it I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

He’s not my first option whatsoever, but it’s an Army move, and he’s got Tarasenko and Brodeur here. The guy still has a wicked shot, and he’d help our awful powerplay. If we don’t trade Fabbri, we don’t have to worry about it anyways lol.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Before making any blockbusters, Id sure like to see what Fabbri, Thomas, Kyrou and Kostin can do. Id move Berglund and Sobotka and play all 4 of them from game 1.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He’s not my first option whatsoever, but it’s an Army move, and he’s got Tarasenko and Brodeur here. The guy still has a wicked shot, and he’d help our awful powerplay. If we don’t trade Fabbri, we don’t have to worry about it anyways lol.

How is it an "Army move"? Not to call you out specifically, but people say that to justify a lot of trades/signings. Usually awful ones. I don't think Army has an MO anymore really. He jumps around so much in what he does. It means the team lacks an identity and it is sometimes hard to figure out what he will do. Maybe signing an aging vet would have been an Army move in the past (but he usually had a connection to them), but he is trending younger now. Examples are letting Backes and Brouwer walk. We kicked the tires on Jagr but didn't sign. As for signing KHL players, he has only done that twice and both players we had the rights to (Lehtera and Sobotka). He has never done it with a UFA. He is trying to trend faster, and Kovulchuk is slow. For a lot of reasons, it doesn't make sense. And maybe that is what makes it an Army move lol but I am curious as to why you call it an Army move

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
How is it an "Army move"? Not to call you out specifically, but people say that to justify a lot of trades/signings. Usually awful ones. I don't think Army has an MO anymore really. He jumps around so much in what he does. It means the team lacks an identity and it is sometimes hard to figure out what he will do. Maybe signing an aging vet would have been an Army move in the past (but he usually had a connection to them), but he is trending younger now. Examples are letting Backes and Brouwer walk. We kicked the tires on Jagr but didn't sign. As for signing KHL players, he has only done that twice and both players we had the rights to (Lehtera and Sobotka). He has never done it with a UFA. He is trying to trend faster, and Kovulchuk is slow. For a lot of reasons, it doesn't make sense. And maybe that is what makes it an Army move lol but I am curious as to why you call it an Army move

Mainly just because of the connections with Brodeur, Robinson, and potentially Tarasenko asking to bring him in.

I do agree that Armstrong has been better lately, but I think with the big prospect pool, other gm’s are gonna try and rob him in deals. Maybe he gets frustrated and goes after a UFA who fills a hole. In this case, we’d have already traded assets like Fabbri for a 1C as well.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Depends what it takes but I would like Kessel. He provides speed, RHS RW, and is a goal scorer. Also has 75 points in 83 playoff games. I wanted to trade Oshie+ for him when he was available from Toronto so I would like to see us at least inquire about him this time.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Mainly just because of the connections with Brodeur, Robinson, and potentially Tarasenko asking to bring him in.

I do agree that Armstrong has been better lately, but I think with the big prospect pool, other gm’s are gonna try and rob him in deals. Maybe he gets frustrated and goes after a UFA who fills a hole. In this case, we’d have already traded assets like Fabbri for a 1C as well.
Feels like tenuous logic at best. Frankly I don't see Brodeur or Robinson lobbying hard for a 35 year old Kovalchuk over other options, and Tarasenko was telling folks about Panarin and we all know how that one went.

Crazier things have happened, and we do have a legitimate need for a RW...but I would be very surprised if the Blues seriously pursued signing Kovalchuk. Plus, even if the Blues were interested in him, I haven't seen any indication that Kovalchuk would be interested in St. Louis.

Reactions: Dbrownss

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
In terms of preference:

1- Jeff Skinner
Goal scoring LW that I think would mesh very well with Vladdy. Probably costs the least in terms of assets given how dysfunctional Carolina is right now. Would give us 2 reliable tandems to build the top 2 lines around.

2- Mike Hoffman
Same as Skinner except the price would be higher.

3- Phil Kessel
If Vladdy is kept with Schwartz/Schenn; he would give us an anchor to build the 2nd line round. The cost would be very high though.

4- Tyler Johnson
He isn't an ideal fit for what we need; but he is a RHS and a center and probably won't cost a ton to get so we could do worse. We'd have to find him a strong pair of wings, though, as he doesn't have the goal scoring ability to really anchor a line IMO.

5- Ryan O'Reilly
LHS; not a goal scorer; bad contract; probably costs a ton to acquire; off-ice issues at all of his previous stops
Frankly; I want nothing to do with ROR. Let somebody else make that mistake.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lets have them all + Tavares

Skinner - Tavares - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Kessel
Hoffman - ROR - Johnson
Steen - Berglund - Fabbri

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
In terms of preference:

1- Jeff Skinner
Goal scoring LW that I think would mesh very well with Vladdy. Probably costs the least in terms of assets given how dysfunctional Carolina is right now. Would give us 2 reliable tandems to build the top 2 lines around.

2- Mike Hoffman
Same as Skinner except the price would be higher.

3- Phil Kessel
If Vladdy is kept with Schwartz/Schenn; he would give us an anchor to build the 2nd line round. The cost would be very high though.

4- Tyler Johnson
He isn't an ideal fit for what we need; but he is a RHS and a center and probably won't cost a ton to get so we could do worse. We'd have to find him a strong pair of wings, though, as he doesn't have the goal scoring ability to really anchor a line IMO.

5- Ryan O'Reilly
LHS; not a goal scorer; bad contract; probably costs a ton to acquire; off-ice issues at all of his previous stops
Frankly; I want nothing to do with ROR. Let somebody else make that mistake.

What makes you say that Johnson isn't an ideal fit for what we need? I don't get how he isn't an ideal fit but Skinner and Hoffman don't match that description. We are in much bigger need of another top 6 C or RW than LW. Schwartz, Schenn and Tarasenko are our undisputed best players at each forward position at the moment. Steen is miles better than the next best proven option at C or RW. Fabbri is a question mark, but might be better than any option we have for the 2C or 2RW. As of now, potential 2Cs and 2RWs are Bergie, Sobtoka, Thomas, Kyrou, Jaskin, and Thompson. Bergie is also better on LW than RW in a pinch and Sobotka is probably better as a LW than RW at this point as well. There is an argument to be made that we have 4 LWs better than our 2nd best RW at the moment and none of Schwartz, Steen, Bergie or Fabbri have demonstrated that they can play RW at a top 6 level. Johnson has proven that he can be a top 6 C or RW, while Hoffman and Skinner have only proven that they can play LW in the top 6.

We're in desperate need of a RHS in the top 6. Johnson is a RHS while Hoffman and Skinner are both LHS.

We need to get faster and Johnson is a pretty speedy player. He is arguably a better skater than Hoffman and certainly plays at a faster tempo in Tampa than the Sens play. I'm honestly not sure who is a better skater between Johnson and Skinner, but my viewings of each tell me that Johnson uses his speed more effectively than Skinner.

I'd rate Hoffman as the best 2 way player of these three, but Johnson isn't too far off while Skinner is a distant 3rd.

What about Johnson isn't an ideal fit?

Reactions: BleedBlue14

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What makes you say that Johnson isn't an ideal fit for what we need? I don't get how he isn't an ideal fit but Skinner and Hoffman don't match that description. We are in much bigger need of another top 6 C or RW than LW. Schwartz, Schenn and Tarasenko are our undisputed best players at each forward position at the moment. Steen is miles better than the next best proven option at C or RW. Fabbri is a question mark, but might be better than any option we have for the 2C or 2RW. As of now, potential 2Cs and 2RWs are Bergie, Sobtoka, Thomas, Kyrou, Jaskin, and Thompson. Bergie is also better on LW than RW in a pinch and Sobotka is probably better as a LW than RW at this point as well. There is an argument to be made that we have 4 LWs better than our 2nd best RW at the moment and none of Schwartz, Steen, Bergie or Fabbri have demonstrated that they can play RW at a top 6 level. Johnson has proven that he can be a top 6 C or RW, while Hoffman and Skinner have only proven that they can play LW in the top 6.

We're in desperate need of a RHS in the top 6. Johnson is a RHS while Hoffman and Skinner are both LHS.

We need to get faster and Johnson is a pretty speedy player. He is arguably a better skater than Hoffman and certainly plays at a faster tempo in Tampa than the Sens play. I'm honestly not sure who is a better skater between Johnson and Skinner, but my viewings of each tell me that Johnson uses his speed more effectively than Skinner.

I'd rate Hoffman as the best 2 way player of these three, but Johnson isn't too far off while Skinner is a distant 3rd.

Completely agreed. In terms of cost of acquisition I feel like Johnson would be the most attainable as well. The versatility of Johnson being a C/W allows us to give a little bit of time and have flexibility to see what we have in Thomas and Kyrou up and down the lineup. If we go all in on a ROR type player I'm sure the cost would be very high but on top of that Thomas is essentially limited to 3rd line duties if he is to stick at C. The last thing I want to do is move Schenn back to RW with the year he just had at center.

With Johnson if we feel Thomas or Kyrou is the better center option (although I'm not sure Kyrou is much of a center at the next level) we have the flexibility to move Johnson over to the wing. Although Skinner and Hoffman are great top 6 forwards I just don't feel like they add an element that we would need to help the powerplay. We still would be running everything through the left side with most of our scoring threats being left handed. Although, I don't know if Johnson holds the one-T option that would surely help from the right side he is a more than capable playmaker who is right handed allowing a Schenn to play the spot he played in Philly for a one timer option. It at least adds another dynamic to our attack as opposed to what we are currently running.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I agree that the price on ROR has probably gone up. Given they got the 1st pick in draft, the Sabres probably think they're ready to turn the corner now. ROR will cost a lot.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Lets have them all + Tavares

Skinner - Tavares - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Kessel
Hoffman - ROR - Johnson
Steen - Berglund - Fabbri

Vau, olet sellainen peikko. What is your plan to improve the team, Peikko? I know you'd like it best to do nothing so you can continue to complain and laugh at Blues fans for caring about the team. No matter who people talk about getting to improve, you make fun of it. So what should Armstrong do to get better? You are the king of complaining. Why not offer something constructive for once?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I agree that the price on ROR has probably gone up. Given they got the 1st pick in draft, the Sabres probably think they're ready to turn the corner now. ROR will cost a lot.

Not to mention that the 2nd rounder they got in the Kane trade just became a 2019 1st rounder when SJ re-signed him. They currently have an average-to-good prospect pool, which will jump up significantly when they select Dahlin in a few weeks. They aren't in cap trouble at all and shouldn't be for the near-future. ROR has zero trade protection in his contract, so he should be a moveable asset at any time if he is surpassed by Mittlestadt and/or they hit a cap crunch.

Eichel's extension kicks in this year and you have to assume that Dahlin and Mittlestadt will be on the roster. I don't think they have any desire to move ROR for futures and struggle through a season for a high draft pick. If they move him, I think it will largely be for a return that address immediate needs on the NHL roster that have some term/team control. If they're not blown away by an offer, they don't need to move him. They can keep him in their top 6 at center, continue deploying him with tough minutes and ease Mittlestadt into the NHL as a 3C.

I just don't see any Blues trade for ROR that doesn't include one of Ed/Dunn and another significant asset that we don't want to part with.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
-Parayko, Thompson, Barbs & 1st(2019) to EDM for Draisatl
-Kostin, Walman, J-Bo, 1st(2018) to OTT for Hoffman
-Schmaltz, Berglund, 3rd(2018) for Mayfield
-Sobotka to Whomever for 5th(2018) and 6th(2018)
-Thorburn to PIT for 6th (2018)
-UFA: Tavares, Grabner, Roussel, Brodziak, Hutton
-RFA: Edmundson, Schmaltz, Fabbri, Soshnikov

Hoffman--Tavares--Tarasenko
Schwartz--Schenn--Draisatl
Steen--Thomas--Kyrou
Roussel--Brodziak--Grabner
Fabbri-- -- -- -- -- -- --Soshnikov

Edmundson--Pietrangelo
Dunn----------Mayfield
Mikkola-------Bortuzzo
Reinke

Allen
Hutton

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (14)
Right wing: V. Tarasenko ($7,500,000) - L. Draisaitl ($7,000,000) - J. Kyrou ($758,333) - M. Grabner ($1,750,000) - N. Soshnikov ($850,000)
Centre: J. Tavares ($11,428,571) - B. Schenn ($5,125,000) - R. Thomas ($894,166) - K. Brodziak ($1,350,000)
Left wing: M. Hoffman ($5,187,500) - J. Schwartz ($5,350,000) - A. Steen ($5,750,000) - A. Roussel ($2,100,000) - R. Fabbri ($950,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: A. Pietrangelo ($6,500,000) - S. Mayfield ($1,450,000) - R. Bortuzzo ($1,150,000) - M. Reinke ($925,000)
Left: J. Edmundson ($2,250,000) - V. Dunn ($722,500) - N. Mikkola ($1,100,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
J. Allen ($4,350,000) - C. Hutton ($2,125,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $80,000,000
Bonus Overages: $150,988
Cap Hit: $77,717,058
Cap Space: $2,282,942

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I have to agree with the majority here (pun intended ;)). Skinner and Hoffman are good players but ranking the two LW's (our strongest position up front) ahead of Kessel, ROR and Johnson makes pretty much zero sense to me.

All things considered (cost), Tyler Johnson looks like our most realistic target right now. With Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev all being LHS, I think he's a guy we can get without giving up one of Dunn or Edmundson. Schmaltz as a RHS could be expendable from our end, so perhaps pairing him with a young forward like a Thompson or Fabbri could get the ball rolling there.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Vau, olet sellainen peikko. What is your plan to improve the team, Peikko? I know you'd like it best to do nothing so you can continue to complain and laugh at Blues fans for caring about the team. No matter who people talk about getting to improve, you make fun of it. So what should Armstrong do to get better? You are the king of complaining. Why not offer something constructive for once?

Trade away Berglund, Steen, Gunnarsson and Jbo for picks this or next year draft. Give all The tools for Bill Armstrong. I know this is same laughable compare your Kessel, Johnson etc. acquireisons.(is this Even word?) But I view Bill is The guy who has build this team and he is The key for success.

Army needs to pull another sick off-season to acquire top6 forward. Last year off-season prove he can, but I don't lose My sleep If he can't.

Names: on afraid its something like Bozak type of shitload what is really available.

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

I say that because of how I look at our top 6. I see the top 2 lines being Schwartz-Schenn-X and X-X-Tarasenko.

When looking at what forwards to go after, the primary concern is how that player fits with Vladdy. IMO Vladdy doesn’t need a playmaker next to him. Vladdy doesn’t have a 1-timer so pure passers aren’t a good fit. What Vladdy needs is a goal scorer on his line to open up some space on the ice.

Skinner and Hoffman are both legit goal scorers. It would be better if they were RHS, but they are goal scorers and that is the biggest need.

Johnson is exactly what you said; a speedy playmaker. He is a good player and would be a upgrade at C, but he is not a fit next to Vladdy and that knocks him down the list IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad