What is Sweeney Doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Wally, fans did stop caring, and it led to O'Connell being fired. That's why half the seats are black, they were tired of how empty the arena was during those lean years when they started missing the playoffs.

Fans will leave, and it won't take long, if they are as bad as some of us fear. No one is going to be interested in a struggling team after they trade Seguin and Hamilton, their two best young players. You can sell hope, you can't sell mediocrity.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If the team is competative or even entertaining the loss if any will be minimal.
Hamilton is in no way the same impact. The core left behind is much better than Joe and his pro Joe buddies that were dumped.

I think many are raving just because they enjoy being miserable. But thats me.

Ive lived through far, far worse times with this club. This isnt earth shattering in the least.

Very dismissive of lots of people that put a lot of thought and energy into this team.

I don't enjoy being miserable. I'm ****ing disgusted. So my opinion is worthless because it's negative?

Was I just being miserable for the sake of it when I hated the Seguin deal or the Boychuk deal?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'd agree that Seidenberg and Kelly will be gone.

If the McQuaid signing is any indication, I see no reason to assume Seidenberg and Kelly are going anywhere. Sweeney referenced McQuaid being a part of their leadership group and having an "edge" and element of physicality that it was important for the Bruins to maintain. Seidenberg and Kelly seem to fit the same bill to some degree...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Very dismissive of lots of people that put a lot of thought and energy into this team.

I don't enjoy being miserable. I'm ****ing disgusted. So my opinion is worthless because it's negative?

Was I just being miserable for the sake of it when I hated the Seguin deal or the Boychuk deal?

Myself as well. I was infuriated by Boychuk trade, more so by Hamilton trade.

We've now traded TWO top 4 D with no replacement anywhere close. Morrow could be a #4-5 someday....

Chara is a #1
Seids is a 4 probably now
everyone else is a 5 or 6.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Wally, fans did stop caring, and it led to O'Connell being fired. That's why half the seats are black, they were tired of how empty the arena was during those lean years when they started missing the playoffs.

Fans will leave, and it won't take long, if they are as bad as some of us fear. No one is going to be interested in a struggling team after they trade Seguin and Hamilton, their two best young players. You can sell hope, you can't sell mediocrity.

We were mediocre last season even with Hamilton. I still believe the Bruins have a good core.... some of that core is aging but hopefully have a couple more years left in the tank. Now they just need to add some quality players and stay healthy.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Youre better than thatMike.

Read some of the stuff being posted here. Cmon.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

If its a rebuild you don't trade a young D-man like Hamilton you build around him. You move old players like Seidenberg, Chara, Kelly and useless players like Smith and maybe someone like Loui.

Before people cry about well what kind of return would they have gotten........um what kind of return did they get for Hamilton? People happy because Hamilton and Lucic cleared salary cap space but moving the vets would have done the same thing.

Seems fans and the brass are both confused over what this team is doing or should be doing.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
We were mediocre last season even with Hamilton. I still believe the Bruins have a good core.... some of that core is aging but hopefully have a couple more years left in the tank. Now they just need to add some quality players and stay healthy.

Just add some quality players, easier said than done.

Unless you mean trade for Sharp? (Barf).

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

We're sort of doing the opposite. The one's we're adding won't be playing any time soon. Success is coming later. It sure won't be this year or next.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Youre better than thatMike.

Read some of the stuff being posted here. Cmon.

No, you are better than that. I dont think anyone here is being as negative as me. I want SweeNeely fired right now. Right now.

I thin they have a bottom 5 roster *bottom 8 with Rask).

So that's because of what? I want to be miserable? Or I see a team of holes with a horrendous defense even though they traded two young studs in three years?

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
It's weird. I'm so shocked by what Sweeney/Neely have done this week that I've been thinking more about your team than my own. I think the real kicker (aside from trading a future stud defenseman at age 22), is the fact that he could have traded down and still acquired all of those players.

So- my question to you Bruins fans- it seems really Sweeney (new accepted synonym for stupid) to stop halfway. Do you expect to see guys like Chara, Seidenberg, Kelly, even Krejci/Bergeron, Rask etc shipped out for picks and prospects?

I know Kings goalies have a track record of overperforming in LA, but Martin Jones is going to be a stud nonetheless. Tuukka is a fine goalie, but may have been helped by the overall stellar defensive game of the Bruins of recent years. I think trading him would be a wise move, whereas it wouldn't have been a week ago.

I'd be furious if I was Bergeron or Julien.

I can't believe this is still a thing.

Rask is more than just a fine goalie. He is elite. Boston's D has not been what it used to be for a while now and he still had solid numbers this year after adjusting. Granted, he did get overworked towards the end, but that just means we need a reliable backup. He was also an absolute beast after the first game on team Finland in the Olympics, despite us having one of the worse defensive cores in comparison to the rest of the big 6.

Does he get help from the D? Absolutely, but no more than other goalies on good teams. The fact that 92.2 is a down year for him is ridiculous and, iirc, the D dealt with injuries the year he got the Vezina too.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm not sure if this is even technically a rebuild. Sweeney may actually believe that the Bruins can be stronger stylistically or something without Lucic and Hamilton. The delay for if/when Sweeney's plan doesn't work out and him getting canned, coupled with subsequent Sweeney-led drafts, could set us back quite a long way. I may even feel better if he acknowledged everything needed to be torn down now, but that doesn't seem to be what he's doing. Like, we still have the obvious "it's the coaches fault" period. It's going to be quite a while before Sweeney and Neely are shown the door even if things go poorly from the start.

Andrew83

Dec 15, 2010
Boston
I liked Hamilton too, but it was a little troublesome that he put up 42 points but still had a -3 plus/minus. By contrast, Krug put up 39 points and was +13.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
No, you are better than that. I dont think anyone here is being as negative as me. I want SweeNeely fired right now. Right now.

I thin they have a bottom 5 roster *bottom 8 with Rask).

So that's because of what? I want to be miserable? Or I see a team of holes with a horrendous defense even though they traded two young studs in three years?

i respect your opinion as well as your emotion. It serves no useful purpose right now for us to continue.
Its still too raw.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I liked Hamilton too, but it was a little troublesome that he put up 42 points but still had a -3 plus/minus. By contrast, Krug put up 39 points and was +13.

Quality of opponents was world's apart. Dougie was drawing top line duties while Krug was being sheltered.

No knock on Krug, just pointing out their usage was very different.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Skinner gets concussions from the slightest of bumps, I don't think he has many years left in the NHL.

I don't know, lots of people have been talking that those concerns are way overblown.

But we need an honest top6, we needed 1 to6 rw and now we need badly a top6 lw too :laugh: Fun times.

Rick Nash is still my crazy guess in this masterplan :laugh:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

I'm far from a Hamilton supporter, but you can't look at it that way. He didn't get sheltered this year, whereas Krug is one of the most sheltered players in the entire league (not really a fault though; they've identified his role, and that's what he should be utilized as). I still have huge questions about Hamilton in a top pairing role though. His D-game isn't nearly up to par yet.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The troublesome thing IMO is the way two GMs seemed to trade thier two most valuAble assets like a hot potato and couldn't wait to get rid of them ,

That being said seems like Hanmy played a Kessel and made it difficult on where he'd play .

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Quality of opponents was world's apart. Dougie was drawing top line duties while Krug was being sheltered.

No knock on Krug, just pointing out their usage was very different.

Won't be this year the way things are shaking out. Can't wait to see what the armchair scouts think of Krug-McQuaid part 2 Middle Pairing

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
i respect your opinion as well as your emotion. It serves no useful purpose right now for us to continue.
Its still too raw.

Im not taking passive aggressive shots at people that are positive and saying they are only happy because they are blind homers (dont believe that anyway).

I am not commenting on the motives of people who are saying this is all good and fine. I am stating my opinion and defending it without questioning the emotions behind the opinions of people I dont agree with.

So please dont dismiss my feelings, or anyone else's, by saying we are only complaining because we love to be miserable. Its not true and its unfair. You think everything is fine, okay, great, why? Ive certainly stated why I think everything is ****.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Won't be this year the way things are shaking out. Can't wait to see what the armchair scouts think of Krug-McQuaid part 2 Middle Pairing

I still think Krug will be in his usual third pairing role, although his total minutes are going to go up again. They still have Chara and Seidenberg there that they can split up on the top two pairings. Not that that trio is all that great due to Chara and Seids' play last year, but there's at least some level of reliability there. It's the right side where things get incredibly dicey.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

If I am the Jacobs I am looking at this from a business standpoint like what the hell? They own the team and their main goal is to win championships and make money. Actually I would have been pissed if I was one of them a few years ago with some of these trades and contracts.

They raised prices on tickets and look to be icing a sub par team. People will leave and they will lose money.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
If I am the Jacobs I am looking at this from a business standpoint like what the hell? They own the team and their main goal is to win championships and make money. Actually I would have been pissed if I was one of them a few years ago with some of these trades and contracts.

They raised prices on tickets and look to be icing a sub par team. People will leave and they will lose money.

And the people who leave will be complaining about how hard it is to get tickets when the team is winning again.

That's what happens. You have to roll through the sucky times to enjoy the good times. Other than Detroit, most teams aren't going to go on extended runs of being in the playoffs.

Yes, it's frustrating and I don't like what happened this weekend, but I don't think that there's going to be this mass exodus to send a message to the FO that a lot of folks here seem to be banking on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad