What is Sweeney Doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If we are going in to a rebuild, I'm only in if they go in all the way, not half-way. We should be looking to move the likes of Rask, Chara, Kelly etc and go with a bunch of kids. Even if we aren't going to a rebuild please get rid of Kelly. The only way to really do it correctly is to bottom out and get those top 5 draft picks, not picking between 12-15.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Exactly.

In my fandom lifetime.

WHA reams Bruins. Everybody leave?
Bobby Orr walks away to Chicago. Everybody leave?
79 epic failure. Everybody leave?
Take Bourque to arbitration? Everybody leave?
Trade joe Tinman Thornton. Everybody leave?
Completely mis judge lockout season loss. Everybody leave?
Trade Phil which way to the gym Kessl. Everybody leave?
Trade Tyler i get older they stay young Seguin. Everybody leave?

Hell No!

Now trade Dougie Hamilton and we are supposed to leave?

Get a ****ing grip.

we had nearly the same list haha
except yours goes back further :wally::heart:

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
I think most of the defense problems started when Boychuk got traded.....what did the vaunted Chirelli get for him? Two seconds and a third. Islanders then signed him for a seven year deal.

Hamilton had to step up, and did so in a big way and came out wanting 2 million a year more than Boychuk signed for with the Islanders and Boychuk had more experience.

In a seemingly similar type of move Sweeny at least got a first rounder to go with the seconds.

The defense wasn't good with Hamilton, keeping him and hog tying yourself cap wise makes no sense, even if he might be a star, he can't play 60 minutes this is a team sport after all

ASIF

Jun 28, 2015
Can't believe it

I live in Ontario and been a Bruins fan for 50yrs.Never seen anything like this before.If i was Jacobs I would fire everyone.We could of had Barzal and Conner and those guys.Even if they pan out who cares that is beside the point. I'm pissed, I don't think I can cheer for them anymore, last time I felt like this is when they traded Thornton, but this is worse l can't believe it I'm embarrassed.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Is it a rebuild or a retool? Bruins brass hasn't made up their mind since last season

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
I don't see the moves of the weekend as a rebuild, I see it as fixing the problems the entire system have had for a while and we're starting to come to a head.

1. Totally in trouble with salary cap. Hamilton was asking way too much and Lucic did not pack the punch needed for the money and only had one year left.
2. Prospects in the system. Say what you will about how we got the picks or if someone else might have been a better choice, every single one of them has "Bruins" written all over them. not just best player available. They also filled in some at all positions.....which has not always happened the past couple years. This was great to see for a restock.
3 defense was already screwed when Boychuk was traded, I don't know how we can blame that on Sweeny but I'm sure someone will try.
4. Free agency leaves monies for 6-7 to spend on ufa. Hopefully that will net one solid dman and a scoring winger.
5. I also like it when there is 1-2 clearly open spots for youngsters to win. Gives them incentive to work hard over the summer and earn it.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Exactly.

In my fandom lifetime.

Hell No!

Get a ****ing grip.

I agree, and personally I don't plan on going anywhere.

But (and there's always a but)

I don't think it's as much of a sure thing as you might think, solely because the newer generation of fans aren't as patient and require immediate gratification to stick around. That's a whole new factor being introduced into your list, probably up to the Seguin trade, that wasn't really in play before. Even with the Seguin trade, the team was still a contender so it wasn't as prevalent.

Personally, I'm fascinated to see how this all plays out.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I don't see the moves of the weekend as a rebuild, I see it as fixing the problems the entire system have had for a while and we're starting to come to a head.

1. Totally in trouble with salary cap. Hamilton was asking way too much and Lucic did not pack the punch needed for the money and only had one year left.
2. Prospects in the system. Say what you will about how we got the picks or if someone else might have been a better choice, every single one of them has "Bruins" written all over them. not just best player available. They also filled in some at all positions.....which has not always happened the past couple years. This was great to see for a restock.
3 defense was already screwed when Boychuk was traded, I don't know how we can blame that on Sweeny but I'm sure someone will try.
4. Free agency leaves monies for 6-7 to spend on ufa. Hopefully that will net one solid dman and a scoring winger.
5. I also like it when there is 1-2 clearly open spots for youngsters to win. Gives them incentive to work hard over the summer and earn it.

You don't see losing 2 of our top 6 players in exchange for players who will contribute in 3 years as a rebuild? Man I thought I was the hopeless optimist on this site, lol.

The Rask rumors were legit. If they were even thinking about a Rask trade, you don't think they have their pulse on the reset button? Man come'on.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It can't be that we unload Hamilton and Lucic and go into next season as we are.

In see both Jones and Miller on the team next year. Miller had a very good year in the AHL last season and seems ready for Big time.

Jones could give Rask a chance to play far less games and would give us a chance to win the games he plays in which is something we sorely lacked last year.

I refuse to believe Kelly is still on the team come October even if that means a buyout.

So if we buy Kelly out that leaves us with almost 15M to sign our RFA'S and Trade/Shop .

It may look something like this

Erikkson/Krejci/?

Marchand/Bergy/Connolly

Smith/Spooner/Pasta

Ranadall/Kemppainen/Ferlin

?/Chara

C.Miller/Morrow

McQuaid/Krug

Miller?Trotman?

The arrival of Colin Miller likely means one of our D is going to be moved. Hopefully Sieds.

Connolly and Spooner should get bridge deals not exceeding 2.5 for 2/3 years so let's say5M for both even though that's probably a little high.

About 2M for the 4th line .That's 7M leaving us about 8M.

Another 2.5 goes to filling in the D and G, leaves us about 5.5M

Now if we can unload Sieds we have 9.5M to spend. If we can trade Kelly rather than buying him out that becomes 10.5.

Other trades could be worked out where we take on salary while moving out salary for an up gradea at a small increase in cap hit.

I was crushed on Friday after all that took place but if you think about it this can be salvaged .

There are many possibilities.Let's let Sweeny et al finish their work and let's see what the finished product looks like before we hang anyone.

habslive

Apr 27, 2014
It's weird. I'm so shocked by what Sweeney/Neely have done this week that I've been thinking more about your team than my own. I think the real kicker (aside from trading a future stud defenseman at age 22), is the fact that he could have traded down and still acquired all of those players.

So- my question to you Bruins fans- it seems really Sweeney (new accepted synonym for stupid) to stop halfway. Do you expect to see guys like Chara, Seidenberg, Kelly, even Krejci/Bergeron, Rask etc shipped out for picks and prospects?

I know Kings goalies have a track record of overperforming in LA, but Martin Jones is going to be a stud nonetheless. Tuukka is a fine goalie, but may have been helped by the overall stellar defensive game of the Bruins of recent years. I think trading him would be a wise move, whereas it wouldn't have been a week ago.

I'd be furious if I was Bergeron or Julien.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland

Yes, we already had problems on D before the draft and I get trading hamilton given that it's possible that he didn't want to be here. Still, I don't like the fact that we went in to the draft needing to fill that defensive hole and no come out with no potential 1st D.

Also, we'll see about if FA is going to be any good...Management will have to be very careful about big contracts, since that could mean another cap hell following pretty soon after this one.

I'm a bit disheartened to see that the obvious dead weight in terms of cap is still on the roster as well. The players we picked were generally fine, but some of them could have been available later as well.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
Exactly.

In my fandom lifetime.

Hell No!

Get a ****ing grip.

a hell of a lot of people did leave after this, that's why they were so many changes with MOC and Sinden out and Chiarelli in.

There were tons of empty seats for a few years at that time, to the point where they were running promotions like $10 seats for college students on Thursday nights.

Old man Jacobs didnt change course or open his checkbook until the fans finally voted with their dollars in the early 2000s

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
You don't see losing 2 of our top 6 players in exchange for players who will contribute in 3 years as a rebuild? Man I thought I was the hopeless optimist on this site, lol.

The Rask rumors were legit. If they were even thinking about a Rask trade, you don't think they have their pulse on the reset button? Man come'on.

Lucic hasn't been top six for at least a couple years, fan favorite? Yes. Top six, not even close. His offensive production has been awful and he was very sporadically physical last year.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It can't be that we unload Hamilton and Lucic and go into next season as we are.

In see both Jones and Miller on the team next year. Miller had a very good year in the AHL last season and seems ready for Big time.

Jones could give Rask a chance to play far less games and would give us a chance to win the games he plays in which is something we sorely lacked last year.

I refuse to believe Kelly is still on the team come October even if that means a buyout.

So if we buy Kelly out that leaves us with almost 15M to sign our RFA'S and Trade/Shop .

It may look something like this

Erikkson/Krejci/?

Marchand/Bergy/Connolly

Smith/Spooner/Pasta

Ranadall/Kemppainen/Ferlin

?/Chara

C.Miller/Morrow

McQuaid/Krug

Miller?Trotman?

The arrival of Colin Miller likely means one of our D is going to be moved. Hopefully Sieds.

Connolly and Spooner should get bridge deals not exceeding 2.5 for 2/3 years so let's say5M for both even though that's probably a little high.

About 2M for the 4th line .That's 7M leaving us about 8M.

Another 2.5 goes to filling in the D and G, leaves us about 5.5M

Now if we can unload Sieds we have 9.5M to spend. If we can trade Kelly rather than buying him out that becomes 10.5.

Other trades could be worked out where we take on salary while moving out salary for an up gradea at a small increase in cap hit.

I was crushed on Friday after all that took place but if you think about it this can be salvaged .

There are many possibilities.Let's let Sweeny et al finish their work and let's see what the finished product looks like before we hang anyone.

I'd agree that Seidenberg and Kelly will be gone.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
If we are going in to a rebuild, I'm only in if they go in all the way, not half-way. We should be looking to move the likes of Rask, Chara, Kelly etc and go with a bunch of kids. Even if we aren't going to a rebuild please get rid of Kelly. The only way to really do it correctly is to bottom out and get those top 5 draft picks, not picking between 12-15.

We are not in a total rebuild. I think they are trying to change the style of play somewhat to get more in touch with the new NHL. I am not saying they are having a great start with it but at least they are doing something. Chiarelli just sat on his hands and did nothing for a year and a half.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
Lucic hasn't been top six for at least a couple years, fan favorite? Yes. Top six, not even close. His offensive production has been awful and he was very sporadically physical last year.

his career high 259 hits last year begs to differ.

as does him being a weapon again as soon as they stopped sticking him with unskilled AHLers

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

I encourage you to see where his 42 goals in the last 2 years places him amongst our leaders.

Hint: It's 3rd among all our forwards

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
For our situation right now he is too old, especially if Kelly and Seids are still on the roster.

- big cap hit
- new contract next year and will get a raise, too old for that with us.

But I would take Seabrook(sekera/seabrook is a must pretty much) here if we get rid of those 2, their cap hit would go straight to Seabrook's and we'd still have what 7M after connolly, spooner, jones re-signings.

I'd like us to go after Skinner, age would fit into our group or if that fails sign St louis to a short deal and get him off the books when our young guys are ready and have millions to spend on the roster fillings.

Skinner gets concussions from the slightest of bumps, I don't think he has many years left in the NHL.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
a hell of a lot of people did leave after this, that's why they were so many changes with MOC and Sinden out and Chiarelli in.

There were tons of empty seats for a few years at that time, to the point where they were running promotions like $10 seats for college students on Thursday nights.

Old man Jacobs didnt change course or open his checkbook until the fans finally voted with their dollars in the early 2000s

If the team is competative or even entertaining the loss if any will be minimal.
Hamilton is in no way the same impact. The core left behind is much better than Joe and his pro Joe buddies that were dumped.

I think many are raving just because they enjoy being miserable. But thats me.

Ive lived through far, far worse times with this club. This isnt earth shattering in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad