Player Discussion What is Simon Benoit's ceiling?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Like Justin Holl, we'll be calling for his head in the not so distant future. So enjoy him while he's cheap and not played too far up the lineup.
I don't think that's going to happen. I don't see similarities between Benoit and Holl that would lead us to jump on Benoit. Benoit is more physical and isn't as prone to egregious errors like Holl. Holl also thought he was some kind of offensive dynamo when he wasn't.

Reactions: arso40

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think Benoit could become a solid #4 playing next to an offensive D. He has not played a lot of games, and he moves the puck well, albeit safely.

The only real hindrance is in the offensive zone, but if he can work on that a little, just make solid simple plays and maybe improve his skating a little, he could be a solid player for him.

Either way, I irrationality love him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A gritty #5 defenseman with #4 defenseman upside next to a more offensively inclined partner.

He might be Treliving's best signing. He fits really well on a league min deal with RFA control.

If we had a prime Muzzin level D as our #3, Benoit could make a decent #4.... but I think on his own, he's a 5/6 guy. Now that doesn't mean just a Muzzin type in play style... it could be a Forsling or Hanifin type guy too... But just a partner that is that good, that they can raise their partners game.

Reactions: TMLAM34

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Ceiling? I'm not sure of the ultimate ceiling...but 'practical ceiling' (something he has a 50-50 chance of acheiving) is a very good 7th guy....who can step into a bottom pair roll without a problem, and in a pinch can play a few games on a 2nd pair.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Ceiling hit. Now there's patch work to be done.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think that's going to happen. I don't see similarities between Benoit and Holl that would lead us to jump on Benoit. Benoit is more physical and isn't as prone to egregious errors like Holl. Holl also thought he was some kind of offensive dynamo when he wasn't.
Nailed it.
Holl is solid if he doesn’t think he is Makar.
Holl problem was getting caught and not just keeping it simple.
I can’t see Benoit ever not keeping it simple.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Benoit is a 3rd pairing LD that will block shots and lay hits.

There is no offense to his game, he should cost 900k-1M for 2 years and by then he will be 28 years old, if no other options emerge you could do another 1-2 year deal if the price is right but after 30 you'd probably want to move on.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I would say a Dion Phaneuf type

Phaneuf gets a lot of crap because he was played higher than he should have been but he was still a hell of player. No way I see Benoit reaching anywhere near Dion’s level (maybe tail end of his career Dion). This is coming from a guy who loves Benoit, but if he gets paid 2.5+ and plays top 4 he’s no longer a positive asset. I think every team needs a Benoit type on their bottom pairing and at a team friendly cap. Something I thought Schenn would have been this year for us.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
They could use two more like him. His potential is as a #4 four defenseman at best but the Leafs defense being devoid of physicality other than him and McCabe is a problem in the playoffs. Top three D should all have some offensive upside and at least one with a bit of snarl. Bottom three all need to be physical with at least one puck mover in the group. Benoit does his job well. He plays a hard physical in your face game and doesn’t try to do too much with the puck. It’s a low event game both ways when he’s on the ice and on an erratic Leafs team that’s valuable.

Reactions: TMLegend

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I believe we are witnessing his ceiling. Sure he can get better, maybe spend some time on the second pairing with a strong partner. However, I suspect what you see is what you're going to get with him. No problem with that though, its important for us.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's a bit of a personal question but I'm going to guess smooth and an off-white or grey.

Unfortunately popcorn ceilings went out of style a few years back now.

• Haha
Reactions: Buds17

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
He's at his ceiling. Dependable 3rd pair guy, who can step up for stretches of games playing over 20 minutes without hurting you.

He's too low event to be a long-term contributor on a 2nd pairing, unless he's paired with a hero. I'm a big fan. I mentioned him a few times in the offseason as a potential target before any news connected him to TO. But the ceiling is there.

Reactions: Buds17

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I had high expectations for Benoit this year.

So I'm glad to see he's performing well. No offense to Benoit but I think we all know what we got here. Normally he would be a bottom pairing defenseman on a SC contending team.

But on the Leafs he might be second pairing next year.

That's not a knock against Benoit either. It's a knock against a Toronto Maple Leafs organization that thinks having guys like Benoit in the top four is good enough. Scary to think about on its own.

Even scarier when you consider Lyubushkin might be on the top pair.

This is what you get when you gamble on the payroll and roster construction. Cheap plugs like Benoit playing over their heads. It worked so well in Anaheim.

I'm sure Benoit will be fine playing twenty minutes a night here in Toronto.

Last edited:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I think some people are understating his ceiling a little bit. I don't see any reason why he can't be a compliment to a puck moving D or form a shutdown pair with another strong defender in the top 4 one day.

His ice time has been trending up the last month or so as well, often in the high teens or low twenties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad