Player Discussion What is Simon Benoit's ceiling?

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
I would not be unhappy if we get this level for 3-4 years, at around 1M.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not unthinkable to see him improve from here, after all at age 25 he used to be known as the worst defenceman in the league (source: JFresh Twitter) and here is now making a huge impact as a #4 on a top team in the East.

I read Beauchemin the other day and I think that'd be a dream outcome.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I would say a Ben Chiarot type of player is the ceiling - Chiarot was a bottom pairing guy until his 5th season around age ~27 or so.

Benoit is 25 in his 3rd season. So likely a #5ish guy, but can maybe push up to become a solid stay at home top 4 guy.

Reactions: KapG and arso40

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Looks more and more like a 4 for me. His hockey IQ has surprised me, he rarely makes the wrong decision. He’s starting to pinch and join the rush too and hasn’t looked bad. I don’t see why he can’t be a solid second pair D man, he’s obviously improving as we speak.

Reactions: Sypher04 and arso40

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Benoit has been a revelation this season, yet it looks like he's lost his place on this team.

He's been stellar defensively and been one of the best hitters this team has seen in years. The second point shouldn't be understated given how bad this team has been in this category for so many seasons.

It just seems wrong that he finds himself off the team when he was so good when called upon.

I don't get it. I don't like it.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Benoit has been a revelation this season, yet it looks like he's lost his place on this team.

He's been stellar defensively and been one of the best hitters this team has seen in years. The second point shouldn't be understated given how bad this team has been in this category for so many seasons.

It just seems wrong that he finds himself off the team when he was so good when called upon.

I don't get it. I don't like it.
When Lily gets caved in the playoffs, they will wish Benoit was playing.

Keefe is a moron, first Robertson and now Benoit, not sure what his deal is

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The fact Keefe couldn’t even rotate Benoit in for a game to let Boosh rest is just bad coaching. You keep Benoit somewhat fresh, keep his confidence up, let him know he’s still part of the solution AND you let a bruised up D man you obviously want for the playoffs heal a bit. The kicker, easily Boosh’s worst game on Saturday, he was off all night.

Brodie will bury this team come playoffs, he has Holl 2.0 written all over him.

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
When the position is crowded the coaching staff needs to rotate players in. I don't get why Benoit was scratched for so long. Rotating them keeps players both rested and tested.

I have disagreed with Keefe a lot over the past few months. I feel like he's picking the wrong starter goalie (woll for both boston games?), he's screwing up the line chemistry (ho can't Robertson get in with Marner out?), and he's scratching the wrong players.

Cup or he's fired, IMO.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Not unthinkable to see him improve from here, after all at age 25 he used to be known as the worst defenceman in the league (source: JFresh Twitter) and here is now making a huge impact as a #4 on a top team in the East.

I read Beauchemin the other day and I think that'd be a dream outcome.
What does that tell you about there stats? There’s so many factors into why his numbers were the worst and yet people keep shoving his stats down our throats. There needs to be context behind numbers.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I have a lot of time for someone who works his butt off like Benny. Tough to see him sitting. That hard work is really valuable and it's rare that people are willing to sacrifice his body in regular season game 47 like he does

Reactions: aingefan and horner

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Is there a chance Keefe knows his worth and is just keeping him rested healthy and hungry for round 1? I think there's no chance Benoit is in the press box for round 1. Keefe needs to get Boosh and Edmundson reps while he can so I kind of get what's happening.

horner

May 22, 2007
Is there a chance Keefe knows his worth and is just keeping him rested healthy and hungry for round 1? I think there's no chance Benoit is in the press box for round 1. Keefe needs to get Boosh and Edmundson reps while he can so I kind of get what's happening.
With Keefe probably

I have a lot of time for someone who works his butt off like Benny. Tough to see him sitting. That hard work is really valuable and it's rare that people are willing to sacrifice his body in regular season game 47 like he does
He is willing to do anything for his team

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
When the position is crowded the coaching staff needs to rotate players in. I don't get why Benoit was scratched for so long. Rotating them keeps players both rested and tested.

I have disagreed with Keefe a lot over the past few months. I feel like he's picking the wrong starter goalie (woll for both boston games?), he's screwing up the line chemistry (ho can't Robertson get in with Marner out?), and he's scratching the wrong players.

Cup or he's fired, IMO.
shanahan first.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why is this guy capped out but Lilly isn’t?

Lily is a 1st rounder who has been developed for 7 years in the system, so the TLC the team shows to him is going to be different than Benoit. But I think we need both.

Lily is not a high impact, neither offensive nor defensive defenseman who has untapped raw abilities. You hope his ratio of impact to headaches levels out and he can not get eaten alive in a matchup series.

Benoit is a darkhorse who could grow into a Chariot, Edmundson, maybe a more do everything big minute guy like a Beauchemin or something. They’ll fill different roles.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad