What is market value for Jake Gardiner?

What do you think?

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How does Gardiner get under 6 with Sekera, Boychuk and Yandle contracts. Insane to think he is under 6. Dennis Wideman, a point producing + good corsi + brain farts type D signed for 5.25 like 6 years ago.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Gardiner continues to be the most underrated player on HF. Only bright spot if he leaves will be watching everyone suddenly "see" how good of a D is and how elite of a player he is. All people see is a game 7 but he has two years before that and is off to that start again of just elite play after elite play. Then people will claim it was Leaf fans who were hard on him on here haha.

All due respect, but Gardiner and being an elite player are not combinations that I think we'll ever see outside of Toronto.

You have fun with that.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Remember when a segment of the Toronto fan base would argue that Phaneuf was a #1D?

And it all came down to him playing hard minutes, and just not being all that good with them.

I don't think Gardiner is more than a #3 on a good blue line. He's a player who is clearly benefiting from playing on one of the best offensive teams in the league, and that suits his style, but that's quite a bit different from being a game driving offensive defenseman who can create that without that kind of situation.

Someone will probably want to pay him 6+. Maybe even as much as 7. I would be livid if that were my team, and I think it's one of those contracts that won't take much time at all for the regrets to start. Some people might want him on their team, but I'm hoping my team's GM stays well away from him.

Reactions: wintersej

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
And it all came down to him playing hard minutes, and just not being all that good with them.

I don't think Gardiner is more than a #3 on a good blue line. He's a player who is clearly benefiting from playing on one of the best offensive teams in the league, and that suits his style, but that's quite a bit different from being a game driving offensive defenseman who can create that without that kind of situation.

Someone will probably want to pay him 6+. Maybe even as much as 7. I would be livid if that were my team, and I think it's one of those contracts that won't take much time at all for the regrets to start. Some people might want him on their team, but I'm hoping my team's GM stays well away from him.
I'd be mote livid if I had keslers corpse

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Gardiner's market value is 6.5-7.0mil. Mind you, I don't think that that's what he's worth. But market value isn't the same thing as a player's worth. If a D produces, they get paid.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'd be mote livid if I had keslers corpse

Oh, riposte. You have put me in my place. What ever will I do with such a witty retort? What an amazing argument about Gardiner's worth.

The grade school equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?" You, sir, have shown me.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Obviously, the Leafs are not the only "contenders" in the league though. There's quite a few.
The Leafs are a top 5 -7 team in the NHL, with an improving young core. Very few teams can expect to be top teams for at least the next 5 years. Most of his contract.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He'll get 6 or 6.5. he might take a discount to stay with the Leafs, but not a huge one. 5.5 or 6 at best.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Remember when a segment of the Toronto fan base would argue that Phaneuf was a #1D?

Remember when Kessel was a cap dump and locker room cancer, and you couldn't win with Kessel when LEaf fans were shopping him on the thread boards?

It goes both ways. And Phaneuf played the hardest minutes in the NHL a few years in a row while putting up 30 poins. He wasn't a star #1 D but was undoubtedly a top pairing D. Yet Leaf fans heard he was a #4 D at best.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
for about 2 or 3 seasons with Toronto he was pretty solid. Not elite or anything, but good for 40 points (or 40 point pace), and played some REALLY tough minutes. He started to fall down the depth chart with the Leafs. Rielly and Gardiner started to get more ice than him by the end of his time with Leafs.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Oh, riposte. You have put me in my place. What ever will I do with such a witty retort? What an amazing argument about Gardiner's worth.

The grade school equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?" You, sir, have shown me.
I mean ironic considering this reply is a second grade version of... teacher he isn't playing nice.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I mean ironic considering this reply is a second grade version of... teacher he isn't playing nice.

Oh, am I telling on you?

No, no I am not. I don't care. Your response was irrelevant to my point.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He's comparable to Jake when he was 23.
If he stays that way, what will he get at 28?

At 28, Theodore will still be getting $5.2M.

Vegas took a risk here. Theodore put up the one good season, but I'd argue it was better than Gardiner did at 23. He was a few tenths of a decimal from a 40-point pace, which is something that took Gardiner, what? 5 years? 6? That's beside the point. The real point is that Vegas, despite it being a risk, has guaranteed that Theodore will only cost them $5.2M for the next 7 years. He could put up 40-50 points from this season until the time he's 28, and they would still only need to pay him $5.2M.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
At 28, Theodore will still be getting $5.2M.

Vegas took a risk here. Theodore put up the one good season, but I'd argue it was better than Gardiner did at 23. He was a few tenths of a decimal from a 40-point pace, which is something that took Gardiner, what? 5 years? 6? That's beside the point. The real point is that Vegas, despite it being a risk, has guaranteed that Theodore will only cost them $5.2M for the next 7 years. He could put up 40-50 points from this season until the time he's 28, and they would still only need to pay him $5.2M.

I guess he'll have to play a full season then.
As I've been told paces are nothing...

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I guess he'll have to play a full season then.
As I've been told paces are nothing...

Paces aren't nothing, but they aren't absolute either. You shouldn't ignore a significant chunk of games that weren't played.

You're right, that Theodore needs to show he can actually follow through on that pace in a full season. But, even with that, he finished with 29 points in 61 games. Jake Gardiner's best season, until 2016-2017, was 31 points. Or, if you want to look at pace, it's 30 points in 75 games.

That leaves Theodore 21 games to surpass Gardiner's highest 32 point pace, and needing only 3 points to accomplish that. It's pretty likely that happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad