What is market value for Jake Gardiner?

What do you think?

• Total voters

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Zaitsev’s bounced back?
Did I oversleep and miss the start of the season?
There’s no way he should be on any teams top pairing. His defensive play is atrocious.
bounced back in preseason, he may not be a top pairing dman but he looks solid out there, hopefully, he can be a #3 all year for us.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It was definitely a part of it.

I don't think he would've signed if he didn't see a strong potential for the team to win a cup (ala Stamkos).
Obviously, the Leafs are not the only "contenders" in the league though. There's quite a few.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Obviously, the Leafs are not the only "contenders" in the league though. There's quite a few.
Yes.

I don't even know if that's his main goal, to a win a cup. He may just want to get paid.

I just gave reasons why he would take less to stay in Toronto than what he could get on the open market. It's really the same reason why any player does. They value the team, management and organization and like the outlook.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yikes! Zaitsev on the top pairing and two rookies on the second pair.
I can’t see Babcock rolling the dice on that group.
If Zaitsevs has a third year under his belt and proves he can play 22 min a night, why wouldn't he be in the top pair?

Sandin Liljegren (20)
Dermott Ozhiganov (18)

I'd be okay if the second and third pair alternate, but Sandin and Liljegren may just dominate the AHL this year playing 25 min a night and just take it from there next year..

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
JVR was traded to the Leafs and bolted as soon as he become a UFA...

As for the poll, I vote $6 million.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010

JVR openly stated he would have signed with the Leafs for a discount to stay. Leafs chose Tavares instead.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Gardiner continues to be the most underrated player on HF. Only bright spot if he leaves will be watching everyone suddenly "see" how good of a D is and how elite of a player he is. All people see is a game 7 but he has two years before that and is off to that start again of just elite play after elite play. Then people will claim it was Leaf fans who were hard on him on here haha.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Watching tonight's game just reminds me that Gardiner has got to be one of the most underrated players in the league. I mean the guy is one of only a dozen or so 50 point d-men in the entire league yet he has the reputation of a less than mediocre #3/4 guy for reasons I'll never understand. If he wasn't playing in TO, people would focus so much less on the bonehead plays he makes and realize how much talent he brings to the game. It's crazy to say, be I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to spend Nylander's money on keeping Gardiner around instead. Clearly they've got enough talent at forward to replace Willy, but Gardiner would be extremely tough to replace because like it or not, there's just not that many d-men out there that can do what he does. And the ones that can, definitely aren't available for trade.

Last edited:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012

Great way to show your lack of knowledge. In an interview he clearly said the Leafs told him a month before FA that they'd be going the other way and wish him the best, and that he respected it. He wanted to stay a Leaf.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If Zaitsevs has a third year under his belt and proves he can play 22 min a night, why wouldn't he be in the top pair?

Sandin Liljegren (20)
Dermott Ozhiganov (18)

I'd be okay if the second and third pair alternate, but Sandin and Liljegren may just dominate the AHL this year playing 25 min a night and just take it from there next year..
Lots of ifs. The odds of Zaitsev becoming a top pairing defenseman look long and longer. He’s soon going to be 27 years old and he’s dreadful defensively. It’s hard to see how that changes at his age.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
More like leafs chose marleau. I may be in the minority but I wish we kept JVR rather than signing marleau.
They signed Marleau because they didn’t want to keep JVR. Perfect transitional winger who took Marner and Matthews in that provides leadership.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Lots of ifs. The odds of Zaitsev becoming a top pairing defenseman look long and longer. He’s soon going to be 27 years old and he’s dreadful defensively. It’s hard to see how that changes at his age.
2nd best PKer on a top 10 pk team. Ok.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Gardiner continues to be the most underrated player on HF. Only bright spot if he leaves will be watching everyone suddenly "see" how good of a D is and how elite of a player he is. All people see is a game 7 but he has two years before that and is off to that start again of just elite play after elite play. Then people will claim it was Leaf fans who were hard on him on here haha.

I mean, you gotta be the best when it matters. He will have the chance to rectify his performance this year. If he does the same thing, will you really forgive him?

He does look good in preseason though.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean, you gotta be the best when it matters. He will have the chance to rectify his performance this year. If he does the same thing, will you really forgive him?

He does look good in preseason though.

Well I mean he had an amazing 2013 series, a strong 2016 deries against the caps, and had a good series outside of game 7. So I would say that the sample size shows he is good when it matters.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
This ain't Manitoba where Americans like Stasny up and leave. Americans like TO and playing for the Leafs. ie. JVR.
I'm not even a Jets fan, but good one man. Regardless, Wheeler, Helly, and Byfuglien sure bolted when they had the chance eh. Again, good one.

Reactions: Snowman

Mar 26, 2010

JVR did not bolt. He wanted to stay in Toronto, but they did not have the cap space. Tavares took his.

JVR openly stated he would have signed with the Leafs for a discount to stay. Leafs chose Tavares instead.

Exactly, no cap space. We certainly did choose Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad