What is Kane missing from being considered as the best player of his generation?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's usually either Sid or Ovi but Kane has a good case for being the best player of the generation. 3 Cups, Smythe, AR, Hart, Lindsay, Cup Winning Goal, stellar playoff resume

Also Kane is the point leader from 2014/15 -present. What exactly is he missing? Or is he the best player of his generation (and Crosby and Ovi are not)?

Reactions: Frosty415

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He just hasn't produced at Sid's rate. Or even Malkin's or OV's. Don't get me wrong, he is a great offensive talent and one of the best players in the NHL in the past fifteen years, but he just isn't the best.

Reactions: stampedingviking

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He just hasn't produced at Sid's rate. Or even Malkin's or OV's. Don't get me wrong, he is a great offensive talent and one of the best players in the NHL in the past fifteen years, but he just isn't the best.
In playoffs he is best of the 4.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Game seven in a Cup final I'm taking Kane over the field.

One more Cup, especially with this Hawks team, he's the best player of the cap era.

Sorry Sidney fans (shrugs)

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
In playoffs he is best of the 4.
Er... what? Not by production he isn't

Kane: 127 games played, goals: 50, points: 123

Crosby: 160 games played, goals: 66, points: 185

Malkin: 158 games played, goals: 62, points: 165

Ovechkin: 121 games played, goals: 61, points: 117

Way less of a point scoring rate then Crosby and also less then Malkin. On par with OV, but a lot fewer goals per game.

So no, still Crosby, and it is not particularly close.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
To answer OPs question I think another AR and Hart would put him in the same league, add-on another cup and it might put him at the top.

To people acting like it's ridiculous, Kane's the youngest of Crosby, OV, Malkin. He could still have a few more dominant years in him after this one.

Some people value certain things more than others when talking about what makes a player the "best". I think how much the player wins games should be weighted heavily, but others argue that's a product of the team and shouldn't matter.

As of right now though, it's tough to argue his case.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Er... what? Not by production he isn't

Kane: 127 games played, goals: 50, points: 123

Crosby: 160 games played, goals: 66, points: 185

Malkin: 158 games played, goals: 62, points: 165

Ovechkin: 121 games played, goals: 61, points: 117

Way less of a point scoring rate then Crosby and also less then Malkin. On par with OV, but a lot fewer goals per game.

So no, still Crosby, and it is not particularly close.
So you are basing it on playoff PPG? Playoff PPG is not equal to best player. Kane's clutch plays significantly outweigh any other player on there. You can't just do a PPG chart.

Reactions: Twinsmagic

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's usually either Sid or Ovi but Kane has a good case for being the best player of the generation. 3 Cups, Smythe, AR, Hart, Lindsay, Cup Winning Goal, stellar playoff resume

Also Kane is the point leader from 2014/15 -present. What exactly is he missing? Or is he the best player of his generation (and Crosby and Ovi are not)?
What is your reason for starting this thread when you are fully aware that Crosby has won twice as many of those same awards?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
What is your reason for starting this thread when you are fully aware that Crosby has won twice as many of those same awards?
So Crosby has 6 cups?
Art Ross sure but Kane has a chance this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad