What is Kane missing from being considered as the best player of his generation?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I see where you're coming from, but he has come up huge in big moments we cannot take that away (2010 OT goal in the finals, hat-trick against LA to take them out in 2013, 3 points in game 7 vs. the Ducks in the WCF and 2 points in game 6 against TBL in the Final, all in 2015)
Sure, that’s a valid point. I guess I would prefer to judge on the whole body of work, rather than on a limited number of eruptions. But he has definitely willed his team to victory in some high-pressure situations, numerous times.

Reactions: varank

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Sure, that’s a valid point. I guess I would prefer to judge on the whole body of work, rather than on a limited number of eruptions. But he has definitely willed his team to victory in some high-pressure situations, numerous times.
overall, he is a universe away from 87/8, however in high-pressure situations he is most likely the guy I want on my team

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Physicality and one or two Rocket Richard trophys.

Also, players that do not dominate straight out of the gate have a hard time keeping up with the most dominant players of a generation because they usually do this.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lots of very one dimension responses here based on goals in regular season. Do playoffs even matter here?
Anyway, was watching Pens game and Crossby was doing PK at critical time of the game and blocked the shot. Do any of the other 3 ever do it? There is more to elite game than goals in regular season. And Stamkos should not be even close in conversation to these 4, disappearing act in playoffs etc.
To me as Blackhawks fan, Crossby is unquestionably best player of this generation, and I would put Ovechkin behind him. However I can make a case for Kane over Malkin easily. At least he does not get injured that often and does not cost that many penalties to his team that need to be killed. And elevates his game 2 gears up in playoffs when it matters.

There really isn’t an argument for Kane over Malkin and that’s already been shown in this thread. Are you also implying Malkin doesn’t play well in the playoffs?

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I think Kane should be ranked higher than Malkin or Ovechkin considering his achievements and amazing skill level. When you think about it realistically 5 or 10 points more per season doesnt prove about anythink who is better player it depends so much on what style of game team plays what kind of linemates etc player has and Kane has comparable stats last 10 years as those mentioned players. What matters is that when game is on line tied 3-3 or you are chasing one goal lead and Kane gets puck on his blade he is about more dangerous than anyone its mostly about his silky smooth skills and patience with puck only Crosby should be ranked higher than him 2010-to this day this decade and Kane is younger than Ovezkin or Malkin clearly younger he propably has 3-5 years more great years ahead than those.
Never in a million years, he just hasn't got the individual awards to back that up.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's things like this that should make him in consideration

He's the best big game player in the last 20 years in the league. One upped Matthews like it was nothing after the diss.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
While I do not consider Kane to be a generational player, one thing that does impress me more than the other three. Kane has been offensively dominate at 5’11” and 170 lbs (listed, if you believe it). He also is not overly fast. He might be the most skilled player of his generation.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
He has some catching up to do to get to Chelios.
Disagree, Kane has been a far more dominant player than Chelios ever was as a member of a team. Not discrediting Chelly but he's not considered the best American born player in any circle, certainly not over Kane now and not when he retired.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Only two players can possibly be considered best of the generation - Crosby and OV.

OV has an astonishing amount of awards and legendary goal totals, with impressive point totals

Crosby has a good amount of hardware, and similar point totals in roughly 10% less games.

Kane just isn't on the same level. One huge season, a Conn Smythe and a few first AST isn't enough against 87 or 8.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Disagree, Kane has been a far more dominant player than Chelios ever was as a member of a team. Not discrediting Chelly but he's not considered the best American born player in any circle, certainly not over Kane now and not when he retired.
That's not how I remember it. 3 Norrises against some of the toughest competition. 7 allstar selections compared to Kane's 3. I'm quite sure that on the history board they'd agree with me.

Reactions: newfy

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
That's not how I remember it. 3 Norrises against some of the toughest competition. 7 allstar selections compared to Kane's 3. I'm quite sure that on the history board they'd agree with me.
I mean, he isn't even rated the best US born defensemen on most ranking lists, Brian Leetch is ahead of him. He's top 5 but Modano, Kane, Leetch and if we're including Hull, then Brett. Chelios 5th.

Mike Modano leads list of best U.S. players

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I mean, he isn't even rated the best US born defensemen on most ranking lists, Brian Leetch is ahead of him. He's top 5 but Modano, Kane, Leetch and if we're including Hull, then Brett. Chelios 5th.

Leetch is not ahead of Chelios. Chelios was complete, Leetch was an offensive dynamo.
Here, check this compliled list from the HoH forum. Those guys know their stuff, they have Chelios at 41 and Leetch doesn't even crack the list.
Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time
And while I disagree with the list that you posted, it still has Chelios ahead of Kane.

Last edited:

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
The fact that Kane needs to average almost 7 points per game in his next 39 games to reach Crosby’s career pace says alot..

That is the gap between Elite/Franchise and generational

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
It's things like this that should make him in consideration

He's the best big game player in the last 20 years in the league. One upped Matthews like it was nothing after the diss.

So your justification as to why he is the greatest of this generation is that he scored 2 goals against a back up goalie in a "big game" in October? But awards and stats don't mean anything?

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

The issue with Chelios is that he played for so long. A bunch of kids on the internet watched him play most of his career with the Red Wings and dont realize he was basically 40 when he got to the wings. He finished second for the Norris with the wings once but he wasnt the player he was in Montreal or even Chicago. In the years of the internet, Chelios wasnt the player he was but that who people remember when talking about it on the internet a lot.

Anyone who actually considers Modano or Leetch as better all time doesnt know how to rank hockey players. Modano has the symbolic most points by an american player and thats it. He was consistently a legit top 5-10ish center in the game but nothing more. Absolutely no hardware to his name, one second team all star and a lot of games played. Just a long, consistent career to get that title. Leetch was great offensively but if you want to win hockey games you take Chelios 10/10 times. I would likely take Leetch ahead of Modano as well. Modano is looked on really favourably from an all time persepctive because he was the only big name forward the USA produced, at a time when the league was really trying to market to the American fan base. I think Modano is really lucky Lafontaine didnt stay healthy or he wouldnt be viewed nearly as favourably as he is.

I think Kane has the most claim to the title after Chelios. His Hart and Art Ross were pretty wild, and hes big in the playoffs obviously with a conn smythe and great stats but that still doesnt top Chelios's all star selections and Norris trophies in the best era of defensemen in history. Kane still has a lot of career left though. I would definitely say at this point Kane is the best American forward of all time though

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->