What is Joe Veleno's ceiling?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'll take Fil very easily. Prime Fil is a player who is useful all over the ice, hopefully he can get there.

Filpulla was always frustrating to me. He'd look so fluid and crafty then while in the middle of an awesome, exciting and amazing play he'll have a random brain fumble that causes the play to fall apart. It's like he would get so excited anticipating what was about to play out his brain thinking a frame ahead of play would cause him to mishandle the finish.

Reactions: FMichael

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Filpulla was always frustrating to me. He'd look so fluid and crafty then while in the middle of an awesome, exciting and amazing play he'll have a random brain fumble that causes the play to fall apart. It's like he would get so excited anticipating what was about to play out that his brain thinking a frame ahead of play would cause him to mishandle the finish.
Yeah, him not ever putting it all together was issue that lead to the slow decline of the Wings. It always felt like he was a season away from having a breakout moment and it just never came.

That said, I wish we had kept him because Kenny spent the next few years looking for a solid 2C and never finding a solution. I remember being so pissed at the Legwand trade or the Weiss signing for instance.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Filpulla was always frustrating to me. He'd look so fluid and crafty then while in the middle of an awesome, exciting and amazing play he'll have a random brain fumble that causes the play to fall apart. It's like he would get so excited anticipating what was about to play out his brain thinking a frame ahead of play would cause him to mishandle the finish.
Red wings problems started when Holland didn't want to sign him. He tried to bring other players, but nothing worked out .

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm going for a Krejki level ceiling; roughly 0.6 PPG, responsible in both zones and can be used in any situation. Based on what I've seen from him I feel he will be the type of player you want on the ice for a critical penalty kill, faceoff, hold a lead in the final seconds, etc.

Reactions: ealong59

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I believe Veleno its Valtteri Filppula 2.0. Very good , not great

I think that’s a fair comparable. I think Veleno is a little grittier than Fil and you’re not going to scream at him to shoot the puck as much as Filpulla.

A few seasons on the 3rd line before moving to the 2nd.
15-20g, 30-40 assist upside. He’s going to need a very good scoring winger because he won’t be the line driver on the 2nd line. His defensive play will be very valuable though.

Reactions: lilidk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think it's the hardest one to predict from any of our prospects.

I don't really know. Others are much easier to predict.

Veleno was pretty good defensive center for Lafreniere, but we should get some elite winger from somewhere to play with him. Putting him with Mantha and Bertuzzi would be the best scenario Detroit has to offer, but don't think we'll see that yet. Maybe at season 2021-22.
I don't think it's hard to predict actually. He looks like a very safe bet to be at minimum a 3rd liner and I view his ceiling as a good/great 2nd line C.

There's always an outside chance someone keeps developing into more than you think, or that their development falls off the rails and they bust, but nothing I've seen from Veleno so far indicates anything but a real solid trajectory towards a good NHL player. Filppula is a good comparable and I wouldn't be surprised if Veleno also becomes one of those players that always leaves you wanting a little more, but is still a good player.

Reactions: Winger98 and lilidk

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I'm going for a Krejki level ceiling; roughly 0.6 PPG, responsible in both zones and can be used in any situation. Based on what I've seen from him I feel he will be the type of player you want on the ice for a critical penalty kill, faceoff, hold a lead in the final seconds, etc.
No way he will be even close to Krejčí. Krejčí is high impact line driver and i did not see Veleno doing that, not to mention he is not nearly as smart and creative. Krejčí is elite 2nd line center and absolute playoff monster.

Reactions: NotLeddy

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Ceiling? Similar numbers as larkin. Most likely? 2c slightly worse than Larkin. I'd consider them a 1a 1b scenario.

But he still has some growing to do.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I don't think it's hard to predict actually. He looks like a very safe bet to be at minimum a 3rd liner and I view his ceiling as a good/great 2nd line C.

There's always an outside chance someone keeps developing into more than you think, or that their development falls off the rails and they bust, but nothing I've seen from Veleno so far indicates anything but a real solid trajectory towards a good NHL player. Filppula is a good comparable and I wouldn't be surprised if Veleno also becomes one of those players that always leaves you wanting a little more, but is still a good player.
jv has more strength and ruggedness to him than flip , jv can barge thru defenders and doesnt shy away from traffic . and that was as an 18 year old vs full grown men . im seeing it as : RASMUSSEN-VELENO-ZADINA becomes a rock solid 2 line

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
jv has more strength and ruggedness to him than flip , jv can barge thru defenders and doesnt shy away from traffic . and that was as an 18 year old vs full grown men . im seeing it as : RASMUSSEN-VELENO-ZADINA becomes a rock solid 2 line

Veleno was playing against men as a 19/20 year old.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
True, Veleno probably has a better chance to become a legit #2C due to his skillset. Filppula played most of his best hockey as more of a winger.

Reactions: Winger98

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I dont know man, he looked pretty invisible in grand rapid.s

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I dont know man, he looked pretty invisible in grand rapid.s

That was the first half of the season. You could see he didn't display the same confidence he did in juniors and that he hung back and played it too safe.

After coming back from WJC20 he was a whole new player. Rushing the puck, making really smart breakout passes, doing excellent defensively, and he produced better offensively. He is going to have a learning curve, but I'd expect a 45--55 point pace out of him in the AHL if there is a season. If not, I hope he goes to a European men's league to get some reps there.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
That was the first half of the season. You could see he didn't display the same confidence he did in juniors and that he hung back and played it too safe.

After coming back from WJC20 he was a whole new player. Rushing the puck, making really smart breakout passes, doing excellent defensively, and he produced better offensively. He is going to have a learning curve, but I'd expect a 45--55 point pace out of him in the AHL if there is a season. If not, I hope he goes to a European men's league to get some reps there.
I hope you are right then.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've always sued the Backlund comparison. Solidish 2C, that with 2 good wingers can be a really good player. 45-50 points but the best things he does dont show up on the score sheet type of player. Hes a great puck carrier and really solid defensively and is going to be a really solid player.

He really lacks a killer instinct offensively though. Some guys just dont put that puck in the net as much as others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad