What is Joe Veleno's ceiling?

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Pens fan here, but I come in peace! I'm just curious what Wings fans believe Joe Veleno's ceiling to be in the NHL. I've only ever seen him play handful of times, but there's so much to love about his game. How good is this guy realistically going to be?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it's the hardest one to predict from any of our prospects.

I don't really know. Others are much easier to predict.

Veleno was pretty good defensive center for Lafreniere, but we should get some elite winger from somewhere to play with him. Putting him with Mantha and Bertuzzi would be the best scenario Detroit has to offer, but don't think we'll see that yet. Maybe at season 2021-22.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirloinUB

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Realistically, he’s going to be a 2C in the mold of a Mikael Backlund. Smart, efficient, responsible, occasionally throws in some offensive flair.

I think it might take him a minute to start producing in the NHL but he’s fully capable. I’m really interested to see how year two in the pros goes for him.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, he's prolly ceiling a 2nd line C.

He's more realistically a 3rd line C/Fringe 2nd line center.

Lars Eller would be a solid comparison imo. I don't think Veleno is a bad player, just idk don't think he's got the ceiling to be great.

Reactions: njx9

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
He's an interesting case because he was in major junior and subsequently pro a year early. He definitely caught up in junior so that's encouraging. To me in time he'll become a responsible 15g30a middle 6 C. Can play top 6 if Larkin or Wright get hurt.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He's an interesting case because he was in major junior and subsequently pro a year early. He definitely caught up in junior so that's encouraging. To me in time he'll become a responsible 15g30a middle 6 C. Can play top 6 if Larkin or Wright get hurt.
Subscribe.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wright?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Consistent 15 goals and 35 points per season with a couple outlier seasons of 20-25 goal and 40-50 points in his prime. Think: Frans Nielsen.

for me, I hope he become an extraordinary 3rd line center on a great team. 2nd line center is too optimistic for me, unless playing for a bad team lacking center depth. re; Red Wings, currently...

Or he could bottom out as a [smaller] Riley Sheahan.

Veleno's AHL debut wasn't very inspiring to me. I was expecting/hoping for more.

Reactions: Snuggs and njx9

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Consistent 15 goals and 35 points per season with a couple outlier seasons of 20-25 goal and 40-50 points in his prime. Think: Frans Nielsen.

for me, I hope he become an extraordinary 3rd line center on a great team. 2nd line center is too optimistic for me, unless playing for a bad team lacking center depth. re; Red Wings, currently...

Veleno's AHL debut wasn't very inspiring to me. I was expecting/hoping for more.
he was also incredibly young for the ahl

Reactions: ealong59

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Your expectations were off, he stood out against his peers and got better as the season went on.
People need to quit acting like the ahl is a breeze for a 19 yo first year pro.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think he still has 25-35-60 upside.
But I saw a lot of things over the last 15 months that were concerning after a great D+1 year.
1) After a terrific D+1 season, his playoff scoring vanished in his final round.
2) In the 3 on 3 tournament in Detroit, was lazy defensively.
3) In the prospect tournament, he scored a lot. But I couldn't believe how bad some of his reads were. His defense was brutal.
4) In his D+1 year, he was surprising in Detroit's exhibition season. He played a simple, fast game, getting the blueline with possession and then allowing his team to set up. In his D+2 exhibition season, he was one of Detroit's worse players. Terrible CF. 3 goals against.
5) He was -25 in GR. i didn't watch much GR hockey, so I can't say much about it. but he was -7 worse than the second worst guy.

Now, you can break his season in half if you want

First 26: 3-6-9 -19
vs
Final 28: 8-6-14 -6

Obviously, that looks like progress.
I guess if he plays next year in the AHL, I'd like to see
First 28; 8-6-14 -6
vs
Final 28: 14-14-28 +6

Can't expect linear development. And it's way too early to throw in any towels on Veleno.
But without a doubt, over the last 15 months, I've lowered my expectations.
This was a guy I had ranked as our best prospect a year ago.
So that's on me, I guess.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Think Crosby, but with mcdavid speed and Ovechkin shot. So 60 point 2c is his ceiling. 45 point 3c is my expectation.

prime Frans Nielsen seems like a real solid comp for production and likely playstyle.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not really.

I still think he's a 15 goal guy/3rd line centre in the NHL.
Your expectations were completely perfect and after he didn't meet those amazingly accurate expectations you had for him....

You heard it here guys, he's a 35 point player for sure.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Not really.

I still think he's a 15 goal guy/3rd line centre in the NHL.

Your expectations were completely perfect and after he didn't meet those amazingly accurate expectations you had for him....

You heard it here guys, he's a 35 point player for sure.

Yes. Save the post for a 2030 look back @ my Frans Neilsen comp. Frans only scored 18 to 25 goals twice in his entire NHL (14 year) tenure, respectively. He scored 17 twice and everything else was under 16 goals while consistently playing 79+ games per season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yes. Save the post for a 2030 look back @ my Frans Neilsen comp. Frans only scored 18 to 25 goals twice in his entire NHL (14 year) tenure, respectively. He scored 17 twice and everything else was under 16 goals while consistently playing 79+ games per season.
Idk why you repeated yourself, but :thumbu:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Idk why you repeated yourself, but :thumbu:

Conversations with you be like...

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events