What is Joe Veleno's ceiling?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I've always sued the Backlund comparison. Solidish 2C, that with 2 good wingers can be a really good player. 45-50 points but the best things he does dont show up on the score sheet type of player. Hes a great puck carrier and really solid defensively and is going to be a really solid player.

He really lacks a killer instinct offensively though. Some guys just dont put that puck in the net as much as others

I don't think it's necessarily killer instinct. I think it's the range at which players score; in junior a player is more likely to have those long shots sneak in more often. There seems to be a lot more space to make plays along the wall and while streaking up ice.
In the AHL the scoring circle around the net decreases considerably and most goals are scored from within 10 feet of the net. I think it will be an adjustment more than anything. If you look at his goals from this year many of them were from within 5-10 feet of the net. I'd consider that a good sign.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Ceiling and floor are important distinctions that people are mixing up in this thread. I think 2nd/3rd lone tweeter is Veleno’s floor if he doesn’t improve his shot and add significant strength to his frame. That’s where comparisons to Filppula and Ellers are valid. I think if Veleno can manage to improve those two flaws in his game significantly, you have a high-end 200ft 2nd line center in the mold of prime Ryan Kesler.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirloinUB

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
No way he will be even close to Krejčí. Krejčí is high impact line driver and i did not see Veleno doing that, not to mention he is not nearly as smart and creative. Krejčí is elite 2nd line center and absolute playoff monster.

Okay. I wasn't interested in responding to this; but I'll bite. I don't see it as a pipe-dream to think a guy with serious wheels, a great two way game and a high revving motor can approximate a guy picked 30-some spots below him.

My hopes are bouyed by the fact he was on a top line for Canada at the WJC. I know Canada is a small country, but they have produced some really good players! Yeah, I know Canada has had highly regarded WJC busts: Daigle, Espisito...way back to Wickenheiser. They are the exception, not the norm.

I think I have a decent case for making the projection I did. I'm curious what makes you confident to speak of a prospect in absolutist terms?

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I've always sued the Backlund comparison. Solidish 2C, that with 2 good wingers can be a really good player. 45-50 points but the best things he does dont show up on the score sheet type of player. Hes a great puck carrier and really solid defensively and is going to be a really solid player.

He really lacks a killer instinct offensively though. Some guys just dont put that puck in the net as much as others

Watch out for the counter sue! :P

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ceiling and floor are important distinctions that people are mixing up in this thread. I think 2nd/3rd lone tweeter is Veleno’s floor if he doesn’t improve his shot and add significant strength to his frame. That’s where comparisons to Filppula and Ellers are valid. I think if Veleno can manage to improve those two flaws in his game significantly, you have a high-end 200ft 2nd line center in the mold of prime Ryan Kesler.

He will definitely lead the league in lone tweeting one day! :naughty:

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think his ceiling is a very good 2C, in the 55-65 point range. Maybe hits 70 pts in a season once or twice if we have a potent team with good powerplay units. I don't see any reason why he won't at least be a very good 3C, but I think he's got 2C potential for sue.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't know his ceiling but I think the hope is that he becomes a 2-3 C. An above average 2C that gets bumped to 3 C when we get a superstar center

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I see his ceiling as a poor man's Jordan Staal. About the same defense, about 75% of the offensive output. I don't see 60 point season from him, and a 50 point season would likely be a high water mark for someone one of his talent.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Filppula. A bunch of 3-40 point seasons. Is mistaken for a second line center if the team has two guys they can either pair together or split up as the need arises to handle actual pressure moments a 2C should normally handle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad