What is Girgensons offensive upside?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have his ceiling at somewhere around 20 goals/50 points, but a lot of it depends on his role. He's that rare kind of swiss armyknife who can fit into basically any role. You want a defensive responsible center who kills the opponents top line? Here's Girgensons. You want a checking forward to shake things up? Here's Girgensons. You want a big power forward who drives the net and scores and opens up space for his linemates? Well, here's Girgensons.

Long story short, I thing Girgensons value is higher than his production.

Solid synopsis. He's versatile and responsible, what remains to be seen is how Buffalo use him going forward. Wing may open up more offensive opportunities for him and drive higher production.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Agree with this.

But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses these expectations. After all, who expected his development to happen as rapidly as it has?

Ive been saying it since I first saw him. Keep throwing him into the deep end and I think he'll keep finding a way to swim back to the top. He may never be the guy on any line he plays on, but he has enough talent that paired with his attitude, work ethic, and drive I think he can survive on any line. If he happens to be playing with McDavid and Kane he will find his way to a couple 55+ point seasons. If hes with Armia and Reinhart maybe 45+. If he's the third line center maybe hes a 35+ point guy.

His production for me will always be a secondary concern to the complete package he brings to the ice. He will always win enough battles, drive enough play, and end up at the front of the net that his line mates will be better players because of it. His points will be a reflection of how his line mates finish because Girgs will find ways of getting them time, space, and possession.

I would play him in the top 6 all season, and it would shock me if he wasn't one of the best hockey players on the roster by the end of the season.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
25-30 in 14/15
30-35 in 15/16
40-50 in 16/17
I think he stay's in that range for a few years, maybe (depending on the team around him) 50-60 in a career year.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
girgensons-goal-vs-montreal-o.gif

girgensons-goal-vs-red-wings-o.gif

35 goals - 45 assists - 80 points

He's just beginning to tap into his potential IMO. Look for spike in production this year.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

He's just beginning to tap into his potential IMO. Look for spike in production this year.

I will bet that he never hits 80 lol.

Im fine with 20-25 solid 2 way player borderlining selke play but never getting it while riding 3c behind our bigger guns...if he somehow ends up on wing more points but I think given Rein and mcEichel hes 3c and potentially one of the best ones at that

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I think Girgs has some good offensive upside. He's shown the skill and he obviously has the will. Once he gets to play with better offensive players and some PP time his numbers will increase. Not only that but as has been mentioned he got better as the season went on. Imo that's due to his confidence growing.
Once he becomes fully confident in his abilities at the NHL level we could see a 60-70 pt player imo. He's the type of player that can be a threat short handed because of his work ethic and power. He will be an all situation's guy for us and in his prime I see some season's with point total's higher than most would expect.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

There's just no way he's an 80 point player. He doesn't have that level of skill. If he becomes a regular 60 point player that would frankly be fantastic considering his all-around game.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
IMO, I think his ceiling is 50 pts. Most likely he'll average throughout his career a 40-45 pt guy.
I'd be happy if that happened.

Personally, I think there's a considerable chance he's not going to become even a *consistent* 40-45 point guy. Especially not if he's playing on the 3rd line (or, say, 4th line on a contending team), which is a pretty likely scenario.

He's an energy player, who's great at protecting the puck, playing along the boards, etc., but his offensive arsenal is limited and he's not a natural goal scorer.

Sure, this team sucks at this point of the rebuild, but still - Girgs got to play with Moulson, Hodgson, Ennis, Stafford and spent quite a bit of ice time on the 1st/2nd lines.

So it's not like his point production is going to triple just because the quality of the line-up increases. His role on the team will change as well and Girgs will probably be more restricted to the bottom 6 in a couple of years when compared to the 13/14 season.

A 20-year-old pro hockey forward is not as far away from his peak in terms of scoring, as you might think, which is another factor to keep in mind.

All in all, the people mentioning 60 or 80 pts should really get a grip on reality and manage their expectations.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

If he only scores two goals a year, I'm happy as long as it's those two goals. :yo:

I recall him being called the Latvian Lokomotive when he was drafted. Was that something we just made up, or is it a nickname he has carried? Because he does have great speed. He may need a few feet to build it up, but once he starts building that speed and gets on track for the net, there's no stopping him. It's gotta be somewhat like a train coming at you, and I'd imagine that's quite scary.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Wait a second, is that PK Subban getting turned inside out? The same PK Subban looking for a 7/45 contract? How did I miss that before?

Anyway....I'll take 50 points a year from Girgensons and live with it, beats watching Leino every night.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Wait a second, is that PK Subban getting turned inside out? The same PK Subban looking for a 7/45 contract? How did I miss that before?

Anyway....I'll take 50 points a year from Girgensons and live with it, beats watching Leino every night.

That's Subban, yes. And the other D getting undressed is Kronwall. It's not like he's going through... well, McBain. ;)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No set of Zemgod highlights from this past year is complete without that two goal night against Montreal in the preseason:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Girgensons' skill level is higher than he's being given credit for.

He's not some 45-point Ryan Callahan-esque player. There's much more to his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad