What is Girgensons offensive upside?

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
22 points, all even strength or shorthanded on terrible team is absolutely terrific production from a 19 year old. I'm still not sure this kid isn't a potential #1 center down the road to be perfectly honest. Organizational depth probably rules that out, but I still see him as a top 6 center long term and someone who probably settles into being the best 3rd line center in the NHL after the Sabres acquire McEichel.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Ha, I was just about to make that comparison to too, though I would modify slightly by saying I think his ceiling is a rich man's Dustin Brown.

Agree with this.

But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses these expectations. After all, who expected his development to happen as rapidly as it has?

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I think he'll be a 50 point producer - 20 goals 30 assists; and if he gets to 60 then that's just icing on the cake for us

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
22 points, all even strength or shorthanded on terrible team is absolutely terrific production from a 19 year old. I'm still not sure this kid isn't a potential #1 center down the road to be perfectly honest. Organizational depth probably rules that out, but I still see him as a top 6 center long term and someone who probably settles into being the best 3rd line center in the NHL after the Sabres acquire McEichel.

Very good point to bring up. Next year he should have better linemates on average and it should mean an uptick in production.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I hope that with the organizational depth we have down the middle, he can be a top 6 winger like Dustin Brown. I would absolutely love to see him on Reinhart's wing, even as soon as this year. Having a guy like him that can make room for an offensive center, while also possessing a nice amount of skill, would be awesome. I'd rather see Compher or Larsson as our 3C down the road. That being said, I agree with many other posters: ~60pts in a top 6 role, ~40pts as a 3C who plays all the tough minutes.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I hope that with the organizational depth we have down the middle, he can be a top 6 winger like Dustin Brown. I would absolutely love to see him on Reinhart's wing, even as soon as this year. Having a guy like him that can make room for an offensive center, while also possessing a nice amount of skill, would be awesome. I'd rather see Compher or Larsson as our 3C down the road. That being said, I agree with many other posters: ~60pts in a top 6 role, ~40pts as a 3C who plays all the tough minutes.

Reinhart is a righty. You'd want a sniper for him to feed on the LW (that's not Girgs) and the road grader on the RW. I think there is a lot more to Girg's game than simply opening up space with physical play. So putting him in the road grader role is a bit of a waste to me. And he doesn't really fit in the sniper role on the LW.

Until he is unseated by a better option, I see no reason to move him from center.

EDIT: If anything keep him as Hodgson's center. It should allow Cody to tap into his offensive potential. As his center Girgs can do the tough defensive work that allows Hodgson to focus on being creative and more aggressive offensively.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
There aren't a whole lot of 50 point third liners these days. That may be asking too much. Eight years ago he'd be a 50 point third liner. These days, let's be happy with 35 points and great two way play.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
What seems most likely to me is an uptick in goals for him more than assists. Does anyone else feel like his style is great, but he doesn't scream set up guy, other creating general awesome chaos allowing his linemates to get chances. Doubt he averages more than 30 assists, if that, but definitely could see 25 goals. Maybe 23-25-48, along with superb defense, intensity, and general Super Captain. Slightly off topic, but Girgs should be captain even with Reinhart or McEichel.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
There aren't a whole lot of 50 point third liners these days. That may be asking too much. Eight years ago he'd be a 50 point third liner. These days, let's be happy with 35 points and great two way play.

I don't see any reason he can't produce on a similar level to Ryan O'Reilly or Ryan Callahan in a few years. I think this kid is gifted and driven enough that it's a possibility.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It depends on his role, but how many guys in the League can take top assignments in a third line shutdown role and still put up forty points against them? I'd far rather have him be able to do that than put up 60 on the wing in the top 6.

His stats were weak for his rookie year, but he also wasn't getting spoonfed anything, and he displayed some elite skills in little bursts.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I've said it before, and I still stand by it:

I think his UPSIDE offensively is Dustin Brown. So, 25/25 or so. That's if he's playing top 6 wing.

If he's playing 3rd line center, then I think 15/20 is more realistic......

Given his development will be slightly ahead of others incoming to the roster, and if we land one of the big 2 next draft I can see him centering the 3rd line but not as a shutdown type line entirely. I see him centering a 3rd scoring line with shutdown capabilities, great 2 way games. I'll say in that role he does 20 - 25/25 - 30 for 45 - 55 points a season for 6 or more years.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Steady in the 35-40 range with a season or two closer to 50 due to injuries and line juggling. I think is offensive upside is somewhat limited but that he will play an important role in the competitiveness of the team.

Balderis19

Jan 4, 2012
Sandis Ozolinsh had this ofensive Thing - i will score, i wanna score thing going on. Zemgus from what I have seen as a latvian is super awesome and all... but I do not think he has a scoring mentality. - so if I am predicting what he could be - I am saying a suuuuuper awesome(defensively) 40 or 50 point scorer
I would hope it was more(not that there is anything wrong with that) but G .... he just does not have the scoring mentality imo... (I soooo want to be wrong here)

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I have his ceiling at somewhere around 20 goals/50 points, but a lot of it depends on his role. He's that rare kind of swiss armyknife who can fit into basically any role. You want a defensive responsible center who kills the opponents top line? Here's Girgensons. You want a checking forward to shake things up? Here's Girgensons. You want a big power forward who drives the net and scores and opens up space for his linemates? Well, here's Girgensons.

Long story short, I thing Girgensons value is higher than his production.

Clam Digger

Sep 24, 2013
Being from the Boston area, Girgensens reminds me of a young (pre concussioned)Patrice Bergeron. Both very physical, strong in the defensive zone, offensively gifted but goes in the corners and wins the gritty one on one battles. Watching the Sabres this year I can say that I think he will one day be the face of the franchise if he continues to develop and stick to his game.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think Girgensons can be a very special player. Definitely won't ever be an elite scorer, but I could see him eking out 1st line production while continuing to be the relentless, two-way player he is already. Maybe 30 goals and 60-65 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad