What is Girgensons offensive upside?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I've been starting to ponder this reading various lineup projections for the future. It's kind of hard IMO to really get a handle on his offensive upside. That's due to the incredible league leaping he has done in such a short time. He basically jumped two leagues right after getting drafted by going from the USHL to the AHL. Then he was in the NHL. Basically jumping 3 leagues in one year. I'm basing that on the understanding that the league pecking order is USHL -> CHL -> AHL -> NHL.

He was over a point per game player in the USHL during the regular season. And was roughly a ppg player in the playoffs in that league. He struggled offensively in the AHL (61gms 6g 11a 17pts) until late in the season and into the playoffs. In the playoffs he was one of the best Amerks ans scored 3 goals in 3 games. Though it was a short time period, he really seemed to be getting his offense game in order in the AHL. I really thought he had something to build on for the following season in the AHL. But he started in the NHL instead. He seemed to have a season offensively that mirrored his AHL year. Struggled most of it offensively (70gms 8g 14a 22pts) but seemed to get going a bit late in the year.

It seems like we will need the next couple seasons to get a handle on what his offense game will be in NHL. Since we really don't have much to go on to try and project what to expect. I would think its impossible to use his USHL numbers to make a guess since that league is 3 levels below the NHL. And his time in the AHL was so short we really can't project much off of that.

He's only 20 years old and IMO has made an amazing surge as a player by becoming a good defensive NHL center already. My question is, now that he is in the NHL, what should we expect in the coming years from him offensively?

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

if he can continue to bring his girgensonsness and score 50 points a year he'd be one of the most valuable players we have.

I think he can score 20 goals and 50 points.

I'm still drooling at a Compher-Girgs-Fasching 3rd line... hnnnnnngggggggg

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
He has a lot of skill...that goal against DET being a standout. But I agree that it's very hard to project what type of numbers he's going to put up during his career. I'm not expecting very much from him in that department. Maybe 20-25-45 or so in an average year.

Bps21*

Two years from now is he our #2C or #3C? That will have a lot to do with it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
His point total will depend on what is role is

Is he a top 6 winger who gets PP time or is he on a checking/bruising line where his numbers drop greatly.

For an example look at Wayne Simmonds---not comparing Girgs to him---- but just looking at his production. Removing PP stats he is about a 30-35 pt player. The stats are increased because of PP time.

I view Girgenson the same...if he doesn't do PP tme he probable is mid 30s. If he gets PP time then that increased the number.

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
I think he will get 60ish points in his good years but high 40's to low 50's more realistically as his average year.

In Zemgus we trust.

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
I would be ecstatic if he ever reached 60 points.

If he plays 3rd line all the time then i don't think he will. But if he gets to play with Samson or McEichel(knock on wood) in his prime years then i can easily see him get 60 points.

The skill, competitiveness and will to go to the dirty areas are there. He just needs the right line mates.

SlugLife978

May 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Girgensons doesn't have any upside.

Upside has Girgensons.

GpayABn.gif

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I see him as a 20-20-40 type player with 200+ hits a season. If he can consistently be a 20 goal physical 2 way menace I will be happy. He doesn't need to be more then a 3rd line center for us with Reinhart and McDavid/Eichel (hopefully) in the top 6.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
I think his ceiling is probably a 60+ point player in his prime. Most years I think he'll score 40-50 points and just be all around amazing.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'd say 50 or so points a year is a fair guess. I think he will be used predominantly as a top 6 player because they know he has the talent. A top line needs that hardworking player who is always in tr trenches.

If he can score 35 points I'd put him in the top 6 and watch my other top forwards reap the benefits of his play.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I've said it before, and I still stand by it:

I think his UPSIDE offensively is Dustin Brown. So, 25/25 or so. That's if he's playing top 6 wing.

If he's playing 3rd line center, then I think 15/20 is more realistic......

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I've said it before, and I still stand by it:

I think his UPSIDE offensively is Dustin Brown. So, 25/25 or so. That's if he's playing top 6 wing.

If he's playing 3rd line center, then I think 15/20 is more realistic......

Ha, I was just about to make that comparison to too, though I would modify slightly by saying I think his ceiling is a rich man's Dustin Brown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad