What is Gallagher's ceiling?

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
I think he is close to his ceiling in terms of production: 50 to 60 points, which is great for a second line forward. I know he has been playing with our "first line", but that should not be his spot.

It's a little like when we were playing Higgins in the first line with Koivu, it was not his natural spot but we had nobody better....

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Just curious what everyone thinks of Gallagher's potential. Can he be a consistent 65-70 point player or will he top out at 50-60 points in his best season?

It seems various posters here hope to put him on the third line next season after signing another RW. Do you still expect him to put up top six numbers from the third line? Is it just a case of hoping to run three lines regularly? Will Parenteau end up being the one on the third line, or is it a case where Gallagher's flexibility allows him to play there versus Parenteau needing good linemates?

I personally think he has a lot of potential and is a future, two-way 65-70 point player. Does he develop into this? Who knows. One potential concern is that, with his style of play, once he peaks, he'll end up breaking down not too long after that.

I think it is about 7' as he is pretty short so it really doesn't need to be much higher than that. I mean it isn't like he needs cathedral ceilings :sarcasm:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
This was his 1st full season and he got 41pts, playing up and down the line-up in the top 9. Often being the guy with the task to wake-up a line.

It's a contract year for him and i would not be surprised to see him score 25g, 50-60pts.

Safe bet would be anything from 50pts to 70pts/year

Habs4thewin

Jul 4, 2007
Some of you mention that is style of play will most likely prevent him from having a long career... Can't be sure about that... If he eats well, sleep well and train hard, unless he's having "major" surgeries, he sould be fine...

Of course, his McGally is a bad start :)

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I think Gallagher will always play the same way and I don't see him improving much. However, watch out if he has better line mates. If he gets a centre that is a huge threat and also creates space, Gallagher will be the beneficiary and get a lot of garbage points. I'm hoping Galchenyuk will be that guy.

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher has the potential to be one of the most lethal lines.

HabsHockey*

This was his 1st full season and he got 41pts, playing up and down the line-up in the top 9. Often being the guy with the task to wake-up a line.

It's a contract year for him and i would not be surprised to see him score 25g, 50-60pts.

Safe bet would be anything from 50pts to 70pts/year

We've had 3 70 point players in the past 10 years... I highly doubt Gallagher will ever reach that with us.

HabsHockey*

Some of you mention that is style of play will most likely prevent him from having a long career... Can't be sure about that... If he eats well, sleep well and train hard, unless he's having "major" surgeries, he sould be fine...

Of course, his McGally is a bad start :)

Not that he won't have a long career but his style of play takes a toll on the body and you become less effective at it.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Gallagher is gonna be our most solid foward, that's all.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
20 goals 25-30 assists guy but his value also lies in how he gets under the skin of the opposition. It will make many extra points for his line mates. I do agree however that his style of play will take its toll on his body and he won't always be able to keep it up.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Had 41 points last season, should easily go 50+ points. He's small though it's nuts to have him doing most of the physical work on his line, that will slow him down eventually. Would love to see Gallagher play beside Galchenyuk or Eller on a scoring line.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Interesting question, as unlike most NHL players, he doesn't rely on his quick release but wants to head to the net and get a garbage goal. When he broke into the league I thought he had a great shot...can't remember the last time I saw it

We really only got to see his shot when he was playing on either the EGG line or when Galchenyuk was centering Gallagher and Prust.

I think the reason is, all 3 players on those lines would go to the net, so when someone else was screening the goalie, Gallagher could set himself up for the shot.

With Desharnais/Pacioretty, his sole role is to go to the net because neither of those two will be doing much of that. That line is all about DD passing to MaxPac while Gally being a **** disturber in front of the net.

I don't think he'll need a place with high ceilings now that he'll need his own place...:laugh:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Interesting question, as unlike most NHL players, he doesn't rely on his quick release but wants to head to the net and get a garbage goal. When he broke into the league I thought he had a great shot...can't remember the last time I saw it

Out of necessity. DD goes to the net on occasion, and Patches even less.
Davy wouldn't shoot from the slot, and Patches likes to shoot from the periphery.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I don't like the concept of "ceilings", particularly when talking about a player like Gallagher. He is doing exactly what he needs to do. He could do more. He could continue to be used as the puck fetcher for Pacioretty. He could play with Galchenyuk and Eller and make the world a better place. It's all contextual. He is such an awesome player, I am so happy to have him. I will go mental if we trade him.

We speak so much about Galchenyuk, but tbf, Gallagher has had a bigger impact on the team. Not a knock on Chucky, just saying that Gally has hit the road (ice) running (skating) and never looked back. If he keeps up his conditioning, which I think he will given his history of it, he's going to be a huge player for us and is 100% a part of this core. Don't underestimate the pest aspect. And he backs it up too.

I'd judge him based on how he's used (which currently is incorrectly). He will hit 20-25 goals if he's with Chucky. (Or maybe Scherbak in the future).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He has the skill and determination to become an annual 30-30 guy! Love this kid!

thom

Mar 6, 2012
He is a winner who won a memorial cup-A gritty hard working player he will be a 60-70 pts player for 10 years.A midget in Martin St Louis won 2 Art Ross at best 5ft 7

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
Darcy Tucker type of career if you ask me. He may have a big 60 point year but I would expect 15 to 20 goals, 25-35 assists on a a yearly basis, plus the energy and drive every game.

He is what he is.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
20g-25/30a is a reasonable ceiling for him, of course if he does even better than that I'll happily accept it.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
25 / 25 guy year in year out
If only the refs would start giving him the benefit of the doubt in front of the crease

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
20-25 G... 20-25 A. I don't rate him as a bona-fide 1st line RW but with the shortage of RWs on the team this year, he was placed there by default. I think he's going to be a great 2nd line RW for years to come.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's funny how you guys don't even recognize talent when it's in your own backyard :laugh:

A Darcy Tucker kind of career... Is this for real ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad