Speculation: What is Dorion's Plan for the Senators?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
hogwash.jpg

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorion said they had multiple plans at the TDL ... Looks like the flowchart is in an endless fail - restart loop

GM Pierre Dorion says has a plan in place and he’s not ready to give up on the Senators

Before the Draft

"“Don’t want to tip our hand too much, but we have a good plan in place,” Dorion said. “We feel comfortable that we’ll be able to produce enough goals to definitely challenge for a playoff spot.
“At the same time, we’re going to change how we do some things, of how we play. We’re confident with those changes we’re going to be really good, a really good hockey team that will score more goals.”"

Pete and Pierre: GMs raised in the nation’s capital under fire to turn teams around

That's not a vision that's a hallucination!
Honestly I do think that a change in style is an automatic bump up of at least a few spots in the standings. Especially if anderson goes back to being just a good goalie.

But yeah. In terms of plan and showing what it is. Or any evidence of a plan. Hard to find

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly I do think that a change in style is an automatic bump up of at least a few spots in the standings. Especially if anderson goes back to being just a good goalie.

But yeah. In terms of plan and showing what it is. Or any evidence of a plan. Hard to find

Dorion said he has multiple plans depending on the situation. I wonder if we are on Plan B or Z now!?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I have no idea what's going on.
Two options in my opinion, but I'm open to considering others.

1) Everything is on hold pending sale/cash influx.

2) Org is keeping a low profile to minimize attention. Team will keep assets till TDL or someone blows them away with an offer. Complete firesale at TDL and tank next season at cap floor (less in actual $) in prep for lockout.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think it's a lot more simple that what it is speculated to be (no plan lol) : youth movement.

If you look at all the moves that have been made after the fall from grace not long after reaching the ECF, it's quite easy to see. Burrows (37) buyout, Phaneuf (33) salary dumped, Oduya (soon 37) waived, Brassard (soon 31) traded, Thompson (33) traded. I suspect Gaborik (36) goes on LTIR and that Smith (30), Ryan (31) and Anderson (37) will eventually be traded/gone too.

Turris (29 and wanted a long term contract) was also traded for a younger and better player. Hoffman (soon 29) wouldn't have been traded if it were not for the circumstances but they had to, replaced by a similar aged player (not as good offensively but better defensively and cheaper in terms of $). Unfortunately, Hoffman's trade value was affected.

In management's place, I would be very confident in the Sens prospect pool. Many guys will become impact to good players in the next few years (Tkachuk, Chabot, Brown, White, Batherson, Chlapik, Formenton, Gustavsson, Wolanin, JBD, etc...)

The incertitude is around Duchene, Karlsson and Stone as they are all set to become UFAs next summer. As Gladius mentioned in post #94, this could be EM reticence for signing "lock out protection" contracts or a possible incoming ownership change/partnership. Impossible to say at this point.

This could also be because the team wants to see how it goes this season (leadership/room problems fixed?) before deciding on what will happen with those 3 players in need of a big contract. If things don't go well, more changes will be coming and the trade returns for those 3 guys would then be very important of course. If things look to be back on track, those 3 could be extended long term and then they'd have a really nice core (Karlsson, Chabot, Duchene, Stone) and then they will gradually add all the young guys I was talking about earlier. One thing for sure is that the financial state of the team has to be improved at some point, as the salary cap is going up every year and smaller markets will struggle to keep up more and more.

Problems are a natural thing and there has been a storm of it coming to Ottawa lately. The purpose of management (in any sphere) is actually to fix problems, it takes a bit of time but as we can see, Hoffman and Randy Lee's situations have already been dealt with. If there is other problems, they will be addressed in time as well.

Drama is something that is easily overstated. Lee and Hoffman's situations were more on the drama side in my books, but players set to become UFAs or not having a 1st round pick are not, as every team go through that process every now and then, or every team end up having bad season(s) too, it's nothing extraordinary lol. Financial problems is not drama, it's a reality that you have to deal with and unfortunately it seems that it has always been the case for a market like Ottawa. So, unless there is things that we don't know about (however I'm scared that there is problems between Karlsson and some other players, ala Subban), I don't see all the drama that people are talking about. I guess it depends how thick your skull is.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The silence right now is deafening. Let's see how that silence strategy works for Dorion when the team starts the year 2-15-2. Will not answering the phone still be an option?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The silence right now is deafening. Let's see how that silence strategy works for Dorion when the team starts the year 2-15-2. Will not answering the phone still be an option?

“I’m sorry I can’t come the phone right now. It’s hard to pick up when I’m so busy high-fiving everyone.”

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Dorion has been given his marching orders which appears to be to minimize costs. I have no doubt that the team is preparing for a lockout and is trying to position themselves accordingly. The plan is all about not spending.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Dorion has been given his marching orders which appears to be to minimize costs. I have no doubt that the team is preparing for a lockout and is trying to position themselves accordingly. The plan is all about not spending.

In 2022?

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
IMO we're at least 4 years away from being a legit playoff contending team, and that's IF everyone reaches their potential AND if Dorion can actually make competitive trades that aren't "Burrows 2.0"-esque. The scary part is that I really don't think our fanbase is prepared to support 3-4 years of basement hockey in Kanata, especially if EK is not there.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
IMO we're at least 4 years away from being a legit playoff contending team, and that's IF everyone reaches their potential AND if Dorion can actually make competitive trades that aren't "Burrows 2.0"-esque. The scary part is that I really don't think our fanbase is prepared to support 3-4 years of basement hockey in Kanata, especially if EK is not there.
They would for new ownership.
They won't for Eugene.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I don't understand why people keep making statements like that. I realize it's just your opinion but it's impossible to tell one way or the other, particularly with the current state of the team.

We have no idea :

- what will happen with Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel and even Ceci.
- what will happen with ownership.
- what will happen with the current wealthy prospect pool and how good those guys will be.
- what will happen with other teams, particularly in our division.
- etc

One thing for sure, is I prefer when Dorion sells (Brassard, Lazar) than when he buys (Burrows, Duchene, Brassard), so you can be hopeful that IF it comes to this, maybe the returns for Duchene, Stone and/or Karlsson will at least be structuring for the team. I read some posts and it seems that many assume that all 3 are gone for basically nothing in return. It's weird

The point is we have absolutely NO IDEA what the future holds, nobody believed in this team after the 2011 rebuild, and yet they made the playoffs the two following years even manhandling the 2nd seed Habs in 5 little games in 2013. Then, 41 y/o Alfie left, the team missed the playoffs (by 5 points) in 2013-14, then Spezza left and nobody believed in them again. In 2014-15, many young guys emerged (Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, etc) and the team finished with 99 pts and could have beat the Habs if it wasn't for Subban vicious slash on Stone hands (not pun intended lol) and starting Hammond instead of Andy (no choice based on the Hamburglar run). Then they missed the playoffs in 2015-16 (by 8 points) and nobody believed in them once again, so the following year, 98 pts and an ECF game 7 double OT against the back-to-back SC champions.

You don't even have to look at the story of the 29 other teams (before Vegas), just the Sens should give you enough ammo to realize that the NHL is pretty much unpredictable mid to long term.

This franchise saving grace has always been drafting, no choice because they can't compete financially with many other teams but at some point, team finances will have to vastly improve if they want to stay in the league because the cap is going to keep rising.

Reactions: pzeeman

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't understand why people keep making statements like that. I realize it's just your opinion but it's impossible to tell one way or the other, particularly with the current state of the team.

We have no idea :

- what will happen with Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel and even Ceci.
- what will happen with ownership.
- what will happen with the current wealthy prospect pool and how good those guys will be.
- what will happen with other teams, particularly in our division.
- etc

One thing for sure, is I prefer when Dorion sells (Brassard, Lazar) than when he buys (Burrows, Duchene, Brassard), so you can be hopeful that IF it comes to this, maybe the returns for Duchene, Stone and/or Karlsson will at least be structuring for the team. I read some posts and it seems that many assume that all 3 are gone for basically nothing in return. It's weird

The point is we have absolutely NO IDEA what the future holds, nobody believed in this team after the 2011 rebuild, and yet they made the playoffs the two following years even manhandling the 2nd seed Habs in 5 little games in 2013. Then, 41 y/o Alfie left, the team missed the playoffs (by 5 points) in 2013-14, then Spezza left and nobody believed in them again. In 2014-15, many young guys emerged (Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, etc) and the team finished with 99 pts and could have beat the Habs if it wasn't for Subban vicious slash on Stone hands (not pun intended lol) and starting Hammond instead of Andy (no choice based on the Hamburglar run). Then they missed the playoffs in 2015-16 (by 8 points) and nobody believed in them once again, so the following year, 98 pts and an ECF game 7 double OT against the back-to-back SC champions.

You don't even have to look at the story of the 29 other teams (before Vegas), just the Sens should give you enough ammo to realize that the NHL is pretty much unpredictable mid to long term.

This franchise saving grace has always been drafting, no choice because they can't compete financially with many other teams but at some point, team finances will have to vastly improve if they want to stay in the league because the cap is going to keep rising.

I appreciate your posts as usual, but man it got me thinking that the cap has to stop rising at some point. I mean attendance numbers aren't supporting the continued rise, and salaries are out if wack with attendance it would seem, so where is the money coming from, is it TV deals?

How long are super wealthy owners and three or four teams going to continue to inflate a league that is becoming too expensive in many markets to even bother going? I mean a hockey player making 10 million dollars a year? I know I know, but sheesh. It would be nice to be able to take a family to a game for a reasonable price to watch players who a little lesser millionaires.

Where is the money coming from seriously, because it looks like most markets aren't selling out consistently.

Reactions: toivy and Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad