What if we didn't bring in a FA defenseman?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If we're going the trade route and not signing Hainsey, then give me Franson (costly option) or Meszaros (cheap option) please.

Meszaros, if healthy, is the best option, IMO. Holmgren needs move a D to clear salary and Meszaros could be had for pretty cheap compared to Franson. We would have to give up some good assets to acquire Franson, plus we would have to get him signed and commit to him long term. Hainsey would cost no assets and would be cheap, but I don't think he's better than Meszaros or Franson.

No to Liles and other similar d-men. Just no.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/891

Mez is due $5.5 mil in real salary this season. While it may not take a lot to get him, a trade for Mez is too expensive of a proposition as far as I'm concerned. JR could conceivably bring in Hainsey and a forward to help out up front (Morrow?) or another defenseman (Niskanen?) to further shore up things on the blueline for similar $$$.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Assuming insurance is paying Pits, Mez is only a $1m upcharge. Remember we (in essense) have $4.5m coming off the books.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
FORWARDS
Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Brenden Morrow ($3.000m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)
Nathan Gerbe ($0.550m) / Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Elias Lindholm ($1.775m)
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Ron Hainsey ($3.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Mike Komisarek ($0.700m)
Ryan Murphy ($1.313m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,013,333; BONUSES: $1,310,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,596,667
-----------------------------------------------
Just a thought.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
They wouldn't even be able to call up a single player with a 64M cap hit. Someone (in addition to Pitkanen, since he's already on it in this scenario) would have to go on LTIR to make a call-up, which means they would have to sit out 10 games or 24 days before they could come back.

Also, it was stated in the offseason that the budget was 60-61 million. So there's just enough to sign one $3M player, not two.

Blown Away

Apr 23, 2013
Tidbit on Franson....

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 10h

Some offer sheet speculation on Cody Franson. Anything above $3.3 mil pretty sure Tor would take the 1rst rnd pick. Anything under...match.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think any Franson talk involves a trade rather than an offer sheet. JR's offer sheet all those years ago was probably only half about talent.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
eh, i'm not overly worried. they did improve the defense somewhat and if those guys have a good season and Murphy can contribute (Bellemore perhaps), i think they'll be o.k.........maybe. the goalie situation is better and Ward better kick butt.

many of the losses last year were by a goal (many, many bad goals went in). the two goal losses were usually empty net finales. all and all it wasn't too bad all things considered. yes there were some bigger losses but goaltending lost as many, probably more games than the defense did.

although another top dman would be nice, they could save the space and see how it goes. the guys available aren't a big improvement if any at all anyways. they may be able to grab a top notch guy later. no need to panic. sometimes it's good to keep the cap space open.

i think picking up another good forward is as or more important right now on the cheap. Niskanen i wouldn't mind grabbing if the Pens are trying to unload him though.

and, i have no problem giving up good picks for proven NHL caliber players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad