What if we didn't bring in a FA defenseman?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Depending on how the cap situation works with Joni out for the year (anyone care to explain?) I think Franson would be a valuable commodity for this defense. Might be able to just trade for his rights and sign him to a very affordable contract (that is, if we are indeed off the hook for Joni's cap hit).

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I wanted Hainsey here, I thought he would've been a great pickup, but as a complement to this D, not a replacement for our #1 dman...

Signing him in Joni's stead doesn't make this OK. This defense still takes a hit. Franson makes that hit a little less forceful.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Anyone really expecting JR to do anything except use Murphy to replace Pitkanen?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Anyone really expecting JR to do anything except use Murphy to replace Pitkanen?

I'd be surprised if Hainsey wasn't a Cane this year. Rimer says we talked but there was a cap space issue. That cap space issue's gone.

But yeah, I'd expect Murphy to replace Pitkanen before Franson does (but a kid can dream, right?)

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

The fact that there are American defenseman available makes it a lot more likely than usual. There's nothing JR likes more than American defenseman. Except maybe Staals and smurfs.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Twitter is throwing out two names equally, Hainsey and Franson. I'd guess that means Hainsey's our man, because Franson's likely just there because he's in Toronto, which makes Canadians interested in their tweets.

That being said, a $3.3 million offer sheet would put Toronto in a tough spot if accepted, plus we'd only have to give up a 2nd if they decided not to match.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Hainsey has smoke, Franson is probably all speculation. I'm sure JR will ask, but I can't see Toronto dealing him. Even for an overpayment, of which I'd gladly do.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hainsey has smoke, Franson is probably all speculation. I'm sure JR will ask, but I can't see Toronto dealing him. Even for an overpayment, of which I'd gladly do.

Exactly. Not to mention JR doesn't have the Illich rivalry as a potential driving factor here for throwing an offer sheet at Franson, and I'm sure the Leafs would have no qualms about matching anyway.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
With Toronto having interest in Mayson Raymond on a PTO, the signing of Kadri, Paul Ranger, and even Morgan Reilly pushing, I would think Franson is in reach.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Jr hasn't exactly been a sit on his hands guy the last couple years.

Old habits due hard. If JR can replace a player using someone within the system rather than signing someone else, I don't see him passing on that opportunity.

Even in recent years, when he went out and grabbed someone (Semin, Jordan), it was only after he found out that no one in the system could play their roles.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
there are probably some options that we aren't aware of out there. given the circumstances JR's phone may be ringing. Who knows? this may turn into a blessing in disguise for the team.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
My picks for a trade:

1. Yandle - I think he would be ideal for us.

2. Franson - Will cost a little in picks, but him and Faulk / Potentially Murphy, that's a few years of strong D core.

3. Niskanen - 1y contract, he could be had the cheapest of the options most likely.

4. Luke Schenn - Not ideal, but his contract isn't that bad. Flyers are 2m over the cap, so we would be getting under by 1.5m. Cheaper option probably, but they would take a nice piece out of the farm.

-----------

Outside of the realm:

Pietrangelo, Mark Methot, and Marc Staal

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not sure I see the Flyers giving up on Luke considering they just acquired him last year and he wasn't really a disappointment for them last season. Most Flyers fans are thinking Meszaros, though at his cap hit he's in the Liles "not unless you're keeping a million of that yourself" territory.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd take Meszaros at $3 million for a year left on his contract. OK Pitkanen replacement (at least for the year), might be a bit of a reclamation project (mostly because of injuries), and could resign for a bit less next year. Wouldn't be bad.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Not sure I see the Flyers giving up on Luke considering they just acquired him last year and he wasn't really a disappointment for them last season. Most Flyers fans are thinking Meszaros, though at his cap hit he's in the Liles "not unless you're keeping a million of that yourself" territory.

I know that. But Flyers are kind of in that zone of too many players on 1 way contracts and not enough money either.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Isn't Franson pretty bad in his own end?

He was very sheltered in TOI at ES. He was a 6th guy. O upside though.

Sekera / Gleason
Franson / Faulk
Harrison / Komi
Murphy

Kind of makes some sense. Sekera / Gleason for D, Franson / Faulk for O moving, solid 3rd pairing, Murphy 2nd line PP QB.

PP 1:
Franson / Faulk

PP 2:
Sekera / Murphy

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
If we're going the trade route and not signing Hainsey, then give me Franson (costly option) or Meszaros (cheap option) please.

Meszaros, if healthy, is the best option, IMO. Holmgren needs move a D to clear salary and Meszaros could be had for pretty cheap compared to Franson. We would have to give up some good assets to acquire Franson, plus we would have to get him signed and commit to him long term. Hainsey would cost no assets and would be cheap, but I don't think he's better than Meszaros or Franson.

No to Liles and other similar d-men. Just no.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
He was very sheltered in TOI at ES. He was a 6th guy. O upside though.

Sekera / Gleason
Franson / Faulk
Harrison / Komi
Murphy

Kind of makes some sense. Sekera / Gleason for D, Franson / Faulk for O moving, solid 3rd pairing, Murphy 2nd line PP QB.

PP 1:
Franson / Faulk

PP 2:
Sekera / Murphy

That looks surprisingly not horrific.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I don't know a whole lot about Franson, from the limited amount I've seen him he's seemed pretty decent. He's also relatively young and has some size. Can anyone with a larger viewing sample give a description of his playing style? Also, has anyone read/heard whether he's looking for dollars or term or both?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad