What if we didn't bring in a FA defenseman?

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
...and instead through Murphy in at the deep end, and spent the money on a guy like Morrow? Murphy already showed last year that he's not totally over-his-head playing #6 minutes + maybe some PP time.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
The answer to this question is we'd all be watching a trainwreck of a 2013-14 season. We need all the defensive help we can get.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
They need someone who can replace Pitkanen offensively as well as defensively. You won't find that as this stage through free agency.

IMO, make a trade or give Ryan Murphy the burden.

bluedevil58*

Did we not learn our lesson with Harrison in the 12/13 season? We need someone who can play big minutes. If this post is what happens then we are screwed. BIG TIME.

Mr America

Sep 19, 2010
www.hockeyfights.com
I'd be kind of surprised to see them sign somebody at this point without seeing what Murphy and Bellemore are bringing to camp this season. Maybe if both of those guys, especially Murphy can't do it, then maybe JR will consider an emergency signing.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Remember that these guys haven't been signed yet for a reason. No one wants them. To bring them in at this point is just as much a gamble as Ryan Murphy would be.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
There's that too. The thing is, with the addition of Sekara and Komisarek, I think our defense is already much better than last year, when we played without Pitaken a good chunk of the time. There is a big difference between Harrison/Murphy as a #3 pairing and Harrison/Murphy as a #2 pairing, as they were at times last season.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Our defense was better when Sekera (middle pairing) and Komisarek (bottom pairing) were replacing McBain, Sanguinetti and Bergeron (a bottom pairing and two guys who don't belong on an NHL defense).

If it's only those two replacing Pitkanen? Nothing changes from last year IMO. 3 top-4 defenders, each overslotted by one save for Faulk. Still need one more top-4 defender, and we won't get lucky with the Sekera trade again.

That said...we were the 29th overall in GA/A last year with Pitkanen (for the most part). That might have had to do with Ward/Peters/Murphy gong show, but all the same, we can probably accomplish that without him.

If we don't bring in a defenseman....

Faulk-Gleason
Sekera-Komisarek
Harrison-Murphy

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If we DON'T bring in a UFA, I'd rather just suck and get Ekblad out of it then give up an asset to bail out another team from their mistakes (Leafs, Flyers, Pens).

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Surely that would have to be Skinner +? The 6 years remaining on Skinner's contract have to make him hard to move given the injury history.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Skinner would automatically become the most talented Phoenix forward and their best scoring option AINEC.

That said, I wouldn't do Skinner for Yandle.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The problem is depth. We are all assuming Komisarek, who has played less than 50 games the last 2 seasons will re-find his game. We are also assuming Sekera will not miss much time (but history has shown, he does misses ~15-20% of the games each season).

1 injury and they are on thin ice.
2 injuries, and they fall through the ice

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
There's that too. The thing is, with the addition of Sekara and Komisarek, I think our defense is already much better than last year, when we played without Pitaken a good chunk of the time. There is a big difference between Harrison/Murphy as a #3 pairing and Harrison/Murphy as a #2 pairing, as they were at times last season.
If Harrison-Murphy is our 3rd pairing, that means Komisarek or Bellemore are in our top 4. I don't see how that is acceptable.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
It's the same story with Harrison in the top 4. He kind of sucks, I'm not sure with the infatuation with the guy is. He is absolutely not a top 4 defenseman and we're expecting to ice a decent defense with him in it, with only one above-average defenseman to go with him? This is Faulk, two average second pairing D and a bunch of garbage.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ok, fine then

Gleason-Faulk
Harrison-Sekara
Komi-Murphy
Bellemore

A good defense? No
Worse than last years? Also, no.

Harrison showed last year he is also out of place in the top 4.

I like Harrison-Murphy as the bottom pairing. They showed some potential to work well together last year, but I don't think it's a top 4 pairing. Give them some sheltered minutes and I think it works well to develop Murphy and also use them on PK and PP, respectively.

Someone needs to be added to allow Harrison-Murphy to be the bottom pairing. Whether that is Gilbert or Hainsey or someone via trade, another top 4 defenseman needs to be added.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If Harrison-Murphy is our 3rd pairing, that means Komisarek or Bellemore are in our top 4. I don't see how that is acceptable.

It's the same story with Harrison in the top 4. He kind of sucks, I'm not sure with the infatuation with the guy is. He is absolutely not a top 4 defenseman and we're expecting to ice a decent defense with him in it, with only one above-average defenseman to go with him? This is Faulk, two average second pairing D and a bunch of garbage.

What would you do if we don't sign a free agent defenseman? The way I see it, one of Murphy, Komisarek or Harrison is going to play in the top-4 unless we do something. Pick your poison.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Top 5 pick, for sure. Not enough depth and really terrible D.

Gleason- Faulk
Harrison- Murphy
Sekera- Komisarek

Komisarek is bottom pairing guy, same story with Harrison. Murphy is all offense, Gleason is #5, Sekera is another middle pairing guy... That's terrible group.

I hate our division too.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Trade a draft pick for Niskanen or a Flyers defender (they need to shed contracts, so we don't need to give up any players).

Blown Away

Apr 23, 2013
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

With Pitkanen done for yr, CAR's potential replacement options may include UFA Ron Hainsey or extracting unsigned RFA Cody Franson from TOR.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Based on the training camp split, looks like Faulk-Sekara is going to be the the pair that plays with the top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad