Speculation: What If the Rangers Win the Lottery?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If we got dahlin of then move zucc and another player to pick up another top 10 pick and then offer every pick we have to whoever has 2 and try to grab svechnikov as well.

Reactions: pld459666

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Dahlin speeds up the rebuild but they still need to stay the course and make sure they make smart moves. He won’t hit his stride for 2 seasons or so

If they get him, make sure to acquire all the elite talent you can with draft picks and trades, and pray Chytil grows into the superstar C
This. Don’t try to rush the rebuild.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The NHL isn't going to give the Rangers ****. The Rangers are the most valuable franchise in the league with or without being good. The NHL would definitely rather see Dahlin go to Arizona or the Islanders or to another team that struggles when they're not good.

Just look at 2005, we were tied for the best odds to win Crosby and where did we end up in that lottery? Picking 16th! Had to trade up just to get Marc Staal at 12.

This.

I snorteled at the premise that the NHL would do a favor for the Rangers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If we get Dahlin, we're winning a Cup. Dahlin is pretty much already a 1D on an ELC contract..

We got Lundqvist for free, he was probably the best player in the draft. Didn't win the Cup. Then we got a #1 defenseman for a cap dump and signed arguably our best forward (MZA) as an UDFA. So we got a Hall of Fame goalie, a 1D and a first line forward for a 7th rounder and a cap dump (Gomez). Still no Cup. Is Dahlin going to be better than Lundqvist+MZA+McD? Probably not even better than Hank alone. One player or even 3 players do not make a team. It's a 20 man effort. You need 20 players. Dahlin would be a major add, but plenty of superstars couldn't deliver a win to their team: Lindros to Philly, Bourque to Boston, all those Rangers stars between 1941 and 1993.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I wouldn't do much different. Maybe be even more adamant about going after Karlsson next off-season.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It would give me more incentive to buyout Staal. More security to take over LD minutes next year. Also read some stuff that one of Lindgren/Hajek will have a legitmate shot in Training Camp.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Remember this, McDavid scores 48 in 45, 100 and then 120 pts his first three years. Crosby did the same more or less.

Victor Hedman scored 20, 26, 23, 20 in 40 before going up to better numbers and after a year or two he was top 3 in D scoring. D+6-8 he started to be in Norris talks. For McDavid and Crosby it was D+1 to get up into Art Ross/Hart discussions.

It’s just out of the question that Dahlin, or any young defender, ever will be like a top 5 MVP before at least D+4-5 and Norris Candidate before D+2-3. Karlsson got up their really fast for a young defender, but he was so much offense, offense and more offense. RHS PPQB.

My point is just — Dahlin isn’t franchise altering over night. Nor over his first 3 years.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The NHL isn't going to give the Rangers ****. The Rangers are the most valuable franchise in the league with or without being good. The NHL would definitely rather see Dahlin go to Arizona or the Islanders or to another team that struggles when they're not good.

Just look at 2005, we were tied for the best odds to win Crosby and where did we end up in that lottery? Picking 16th! Had to trade up just to get Marc Staal at 12.

If anyone believes the fingers of the league are on the scales and they continue to follow the sport, they are nitwits.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
If the draft was rigged, it seems like the winner is often a struggling franchise/market. I think our chances are drastically hurt if it were rigged in any way.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Remember this, McDavid scores 48 in 45, 100 and then 120 pts his first three years. Crosby did the same more or less.

Victor Hedman scored 20, 26, 23, 20 in 40 before going up to better numbers and after a year or two he was top 3 in D scoring. D+6-8 he started to be in Norris talks. For McDavid and Crosby it was D+1 to get up into Art Ross/Hart discussions.

It’s just out of the question that Dahlin, or any young defender, ever will be like a top 5 MVP before at least D+4-5 and Norris Candidate before D+2-3. Karlsson got up their really fast for a young defender, but he was so much offense, offense and more offense. RHS PPQB.

My point is just — Dahlin isn’t franchise altering over night. Nor over his first 3 years.
Totally agree

Reactions: Ola and haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If we get Svechnikov, I think we're in good shape.

If we get Dahlin, we're winning a Cup. Dahlin is pretty much already a 1D on an ELC contract. He instantly fixes the defense in one move and our forward corps is great.

Pretty much anyone competent (so not Montreal/Ottawa/Buffalo) turns Dahlin into a Championship. I dont' eve see Edmonton or Arizona missing with Dahlin.
I think the hype is getting really, really absurd. I hope it's accurate but I really don't think it's likely that he lives us to stuff like this, at least not for 2+ years.

Reactions: yrrebbor

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
So, I've been pushing pretty heavily the idea that the Rangers are going to win the draft lottery. Part of it is my own practicing the power of positive thinking, but there is another part of me that honestly believes that the league recognizes an opportunity in having a strong team, anchored by a superstar, in NYC. The whole conceding the season and sending a letter to the fans thing was just too strange to me and left me feeling something bigger might be brewing.

Anyway, just curious on thoughts about just how franchise altering a lottery win will be. Is landing Dahlin in this draft going to set the team up to contend for the next decade, or would it simply be a nice little bump that gets the rebuild started off well? In other words, is this 2005 again?

I can't speak for everyone else, however if they win the lottery I'm going on a bender.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

I never understood this line of thinking. To me a league's is as healthy as their most valuable team, not as their crappiest, most mismanaged franchise. It's as if you take the kid in the back of the class that barely is able to read to the spelling bee to represent your school.

There is a reason people all over the world wear Yankees, Patriots hats and other stuff. Casual fans are bandwagon fans who gravitate to success. A successful New York would be an absolute cash cow, even more so than it already is. The league should capitalize on this yet prefers to suckle the small terribly mismanaged teams on the teet of the big ones. Penguins have been pushed down our throats and is the ULTIMATE bandwagon haven. Once that team starts stinking again most of their "fans" will disappear and only follow it casually waiting in lay until they start winning again.

I remember some time how ago their very own Post-Gazette called out the whole town for being too "bandwagonish", but it was more of a general Pittsburgh problem not just Pens.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I never understood this line of thinking. To me a league's is as healthy as their most valuable team, not as their crappiest, most mismanaged franchise. It's as if you take the kid in the back of the class that barely is able to read to the spelling bee to represent your school.

There is a reason people all over the world wear Yankees, Patriots hats and other stuff. Casual fans are bandwagon fans who gravitate to success. A successful New York would be an absolute cash cow, even more so than it already is. The league should capitalize on this yet prefers to suckle the small terribly mismanaged teams on the teet of the big ones. Penguins have been pushed down our throats and is the ULTIMATE bandwagon haven. Once that team starts stinking again most of their "fans" will disappear and only follow it casually waiting in lay until they start winning again.

I remember some time how ago their very own Post-Gazette called out the whole town for being too "bandwagonish", but it was more of a general Pittsburgh problem not just Pens.
It's going to be really interested to see how the Pens do once Crosby, Malkin and Kessel start fading. They have a few more years left but I don't see how they're going to ice a competitive team after them barring some insane draft luck. They've done pretty well drafting considering what picks they've had, but they got a lot of depth players who are serviceable higher in the lineup because they play with elite talents.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
It's going to be really interested to see how the Pens do once Crosby, Malkin and Kessel start fading. They have a few more years left but I don't see how they're going to ice a competitive team after them barring some insane draft luck. They've done pretty well drafting considering what picks they've had, but they got a lot of depth players who are serviceable higher in the lineup because they play with elite talents.

It's amazing isn't it? Get Lemieux and Jagr, win cups. Lose Lemieux and Jagr stink for several years up until the point to where the franchise is about to move out of town, follow up with winning a secret lottery, getting Crosby AND being lucky enough that Malkin is available after Ovechkin, boom.. win cups.

If the Rangers were in the Pittsburgh market with their "success" over the past years they would have folded up shop and we would see another Quebec or perhaps a Seattle team today.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

The league would much rather have Dahlin, or any young potential star, in New York than Arizona.

Reactions: Krams

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If anyone believes the fingers of the league are on the scales and they continue to follow the sport, they are nitwits.

Then we're all nitwits. What do you think the cap is? Its obvious the importance of parity and supporting struggling franchises is paramount.

There is zero percent chance the league would rig a lottery and one hundred percent chance they would celebrate some crappy and financially distressed team winning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad