Speculation: What If the Rangers Win the Lottery?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So, I've been pushing pretty heavily the idea that the Rangers are going to win the draft lottery. Part of it is my own practicing the power of positive thinking, but there is another part of me that honestly believes that the league recognizes an opportunity in having a strong team, anchored by a superstar, in NYC. The whole conceding the season and sending a letter to the fans thing was just too strange to me and left me feeling something bigger might be brewing.

Anyway, just curious on thoughts about just how franchise altering a lottery win will be. Is landing Dahlin in this draft going to set the team up to contend for the next decade, or would it simply be a nice little bump that gets the rebuild started off well? In other words, is this 2005 again?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Nice job jinxing us actually winning lol

But yeah it definitely would be game-changing to land Dahlin. Heck even if we win the second pick and get Svechnikov that would also be game-changing

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Anyway, Dahlin won’t fix us. We need a 1C and a better supporting cast, IF we do win the lottery, a few years down the road our team should hopefully look like this
Kreider-Chytil-Zib
Andersson-Hayes-Buch
X-Howden-X/Ronning?
Vesey-X(Fontaine?)-Fast

Hajek/Rykov-Dahlin
Skjei-Pionk
Lindgren-ADA

Shestyorkin
Georgiev

Disregard the lines
Hopefully then the X’s can be filled in with future picks or maybe Virta/Barron pan out. Shatty/Zucc/Vladdy/Spooner gone and assuming Rykov/Lindgren/Howden/Chytil/Sharkboy/Hajek all pan out. Looks fun

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'd say "go straight to John Tavares's house with the Brink's truck of money" but I don't know, the cap situation isn't great. Think three years from now, we'd still have the Staal and Smith connection. Maybe Tavares is worth his money and the then-39 year old Lundqvist isn't, maybe it's the other way around.

I'm sure they'd try to do something creative with one of the late first rounders if we get 1OA. Dump at least one of the Wonder Twins 2.0 if we want to go the Tavares or Karlsson route, package it with idk Namestnikov and DeAngelo for a core player if we don't.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Getting Dahlin would be franchise altering. Rangers probably have 2 plans with the direction of the rebuild. 1 if they don't get the #1 O/A and the other if they do.

What those plans might be I don't know. Don't fool yourselves, getting Dahlin would be a game changer.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I’d be absolutely ecstatic if we got one of those top-3 picks. Especially when you consider the flexibility and options Gorton would have with the other 67 picks we have this draft.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'd operate just as if they stayed at 8th.

No need to go stupid just because you get Dahlin.

So, you wouldn’t dismantle the team for EK, and throw all the money we have at JT after signing Kovalchuk...?

You have no vision.

We’re just about 7 big moves away from being a contender again, bruh. Easy Peazy.

giphy.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Dahlin would be a big add. An almost sure bet No. 1 D who should win at least a couple-three-four Norris Trophies maybe even an MVP or two--though defenseman don't usually get that one. It would be a huge deal. It would be a really big deal to land Svechnikov too. The third lottery spot would be more like nice--either Zadina or Boqvist. They should be huge players too but I'm not sure there's a whole lot to differentiate them from Hughes, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Dobson--at least at this point in time.

Bettman and the NHL never seemed to me to be big fans of the Rangers. As far as a fix being in if we won the lottery I would kind of doubt it. That said I'm sure there will be a hue and cry anyway. It would be more than worth it but be prepared. It would be rich to hear it from a Pens or a Devils fan.

Reactions: yrrebbor

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dahlin would speed up the process, but he wouldn’t change it. The team would still be best served in surrounding him with young talent that can assist him long-term and by further developing their depth.

Finding vets will never be a problem for the team, with or without Dahlin.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we get Svechnikov, I think we're in good shape.

If we get Dahlin, we're winning a Cup. Dahlin is pretty much already a 1D on an ELC contract. He instantly fixes the defense in one move and our forward corps is great.

Pretty much anyone competent (so not Montreal/Ottawa/Buffalo) turns Dahlin into a Championship. I dont' eve see Edmonton or Arizona missing with Dahlin.

Reactions: Ori

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
what makes you think that the league sees value in this? is it all the times they didn't rig the draft for us in the past?

I legitimately view this year as different. The Penguins, as much as I hate to admit it, needed Crosby. McDavid going to Edmonton was a joke, but understandable. Vegas is in a good position already. Toronto is healthy. The league is trying to expand again. NYC is important to that growth.

Trust me, I have very little love for the NHL and their treatment of the Rangers, but I just feel like something is up this year.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It would speed up the process tremendously. You almost have to speed it up before you have to pay Dahlin the money he's going to deserve if he reaches the level people believe he will.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Would not surprise me to see the islanders get him. They are on the brink of disaster. Have 2 lottery picks. I could see it.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Man, I can't wait until the 28th...

Not because I have any special feeling they have a good shot at one of the top 3, but just to be dealing from a position of certainty.

precisely. we are in a waiting game for another 12 days. and then we can breathe (or gasp) one way or other.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The NHL isn't going to give the Rangers shit. The Rangers are the most valuable franchise in the league with or without being good. The NHL would definitely rather see Dahlin go to Arizona or the Islanders or to another team that struggles when they're not good.

Just look at 2005, we were tied for the best odds to win Crosby and where did we end up in that lottery? Picking 16th! Had to trade up just to get Marc Staal at 12.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->