Speculation: What If the Rangers Win the Lottery?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
If the draft was rigged, it seems like the winner is often a struggling franchise/market. I think our chances are drastically hurt if it were rigged in any way.

Absolutely. It's all about stakes and money. Rangers are the lowest risk biggest cash-cow in the league ainec for decades. We won't get gifts unless we make them ourselves. The ref and media bias ... I mean really. Refs are bad in general, but I can see them being worse against us. Maybe it's perception, maybe it actually is so, we'll never know for sure I guess. NBC hates us for whatever reason (actually money), their broadcasting of Rangers games are outright unprofessional.

We got a big piece of the pie, the pie ain't getting bigger overall fast enough, so teams/the league will try to take some of our piece. (By any means neccessary)

The Pens f. ex., we're on the brink of extinction, but the stakes (Mario and Co.) and the history of the team, left the capital no choice. (I guess the Lemieux time left Pittsburgh with a potentially huge market gone asleep.) Crosby being the next one and automatically being a cash-cow himself. Capitalist gifts. That's all. Problem being, hockey is rather inconsequential, war ain't.

Reactions: yrrebbor

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If we get Svechnikov, I think we're in good shape.

If we get Dahlin, we're winning a Cup. Dahlin is pretty much already a 1D on an ELC contract. He instantly fixes the defense in one move and our forward corps is great.

Pretty much anyone competent (so not Montreal/Ottawa/Buffalo) turns Dahlin into a Championship. I dont' eve see Edmonton or Arizona missing with Dahlin.

Not sure how you put Ottawa with the first group and Edmonton with the second group. Ottawa came one goal away from the SCF last year and Edmonton was in the basement this year with McDavid.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
People actually think there’s a chance to rig the lottery? IIRC, it’s contracted out in two parts: some company randomizes the number combinations for each lottery spot and Ernst & Young supervises the lottery drawing process.

As much as I’d like for it to happen, it’s not that likely. Roughly 6% chance for each of the top 3 picks is at least better than where we were before the Isles game.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I just don't understand why the other teams go along with the rigging.
Yeah I'm not sure I buy it myself, but it's hard to deny that the 1OA went to teams that really needed elite players in years when those picks were almost guaranteed to be elite. Crosby and Kane may have saved storied franchises that weren't doing real well money wise. McDavid not so much in terms of his franchise being broke but they had already gotten a few 1OAs and were still trash despite having some of the most winning history in the league.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I'm not sure I buy it myself, but it's hard to deny that the 1OA went to teams that really needed elite players in years when those picks were almost guaranteed to be elite. Crosby and Kane may have saved storied franchises that weren't doing real well money wise. McDavid not so much in terms of his franchise being broke but they had already gotten a few 1OAs and were still trash despite having some of the most winning history in the league.
Well the lottery is designed to give a better chance to the teams that need it. Chicago got f***ed by the 2004 lottery more than they've ever been helped by one.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well the lottery is designed to give a better chance to the teams that need it. Chicago got ****ed by the 2004 lottery more than they've ever been helped by one.
Eh, Patty Kane has done alright for them, but yeah 2004 was the worst draft to fall to 3 in - pretty terrible draft overall after literally the first two picks.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Yeah. If you believe they choose who wins the lottery, look at how Toronto got Matthews, an Arizona native, rather than Arizona.

What do you think it would be rigged for? Dreamy heart-warming story-lines? OR MONEY? We live under the capitalist paradigm after all.

Matthews in Toronto generates much more capital, than Matthews in Arizona does, or ever could.Market size, world wide market, the media circus, the franchise history. It's like Crosby. Take a big cash-cow (rook) and put into an appropriate barn. Profit. Money.

That simple.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I legitimately view this year as different. The Penguins, as much as I hate to admit it, needed Crosby. McDavid going to Edmonton was a joke, but understandable. Vegas is in a good position already. Toronto is healthy. The league is trying to expand again. NYC is important to that growth.

Trust me, I have very little love for the NHL and their treatment of the Rangers, but I just feel like something is up this year.

Patrick Ewing is going to dominate center ice for us. #33 is available as well.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What do you think it would be rigged for? Dreamy heart-warming story-lines? OR MONEY? We live under the capitalist paradigm after all.

Matthews in Toronto generates much more capital, than Matthews in Arizona does, or ever could.Market size, world wide market, the media circus, the franchise history. It's like Crosby. Take a big cash-cow (rook) and put into an appropriate barn. Profit. Money.

That simple.
The question before was one of whether or not the NHL would rather have those talents in big or small markets. I agree that they'd prefer them in big markets, and am using Matthews as proof of that. Again, assuming one believes the NHL has anything to do with choosing.

The other potential logic would be that teams like NYR and Toronto are going to rake in cash almost no matter what, but a team like AZ may need that type of player to fill seats.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
would be about time that luck such as the Draft lottery came to the NYRs. would make this season seem half-way worthwhile.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
If we landed the 1st pick.

I could either draft Dahlin or trade with NYI.

Rangers trade

1st overall

Islanders trade

1st - 10th - Dobson
1st - 12th - Farabee
2nd - 41st - Sandin
2nd - 43rd -Lundkvist
1st - 2019

Rangers picks

1st - 26th - Kravtsov
1st - 30th - Kaut
2nd - 39th - Bokk
2nd - 48th - Eggenberger

To me, getting 3 firsts and 2 seconds is better then Dahlin alone. Especially since I think Dobson will be really good too.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Remember this, McDavid scores 48 in 45, 100 and then 120 pts his first three years. Crosby did the same more or less.

Victor Hedman scored 20, 26, 23, 20 in 40 before going up to better numbers and after a year or two he was top 3 in D scoring. D+6-8 he started to be in Norris talks. For McDavid and Crosby it was D+1 to get up into Art Ross/Hart discussions.

It’s just out of the question that Dahlin, or any young defender, ever will be like a top 5 MVP before at least D+4-5 and Norris Candidate before D+2-3. Karlsson got up their really fast for a young defender, but he was so much offense, offense and more offense. RHS PPQB.

My point is just — Dahlin isn’t franchise altering over night. Nor over his first 3 years.

We have a better core (even after the sell off) than either of those franchises had at the time.

If we get any pick in the top-3, you do what you're supposed to do - take the BPA unless a ridiculous offer comes your way to move the pick.

If you're 8th, you do what you're supposed to do - take BPA unless a ridiculous offer comes your way to move the pick or you have struck a good deal to move up.

Reactions: jas

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If we landed the 1st pick.

I could either draft Dahlin or trade with NYI.

Rangers trade

1st overall

Islanders trade

1st - 10th - Dobson
1st - 12th - Farabee
2nd - 41st - Sandin
2nd - 43rd -Lundkvist
1st - 2019

Rangers picks

1st - 26th - Kravtsov
1st - 30th - Kaut
2nd - 39th - Bokk
2nd - 48th - Eggenberger

To me, getting 3 firsts and 2 seconds is better then Dahlin alone. Especially since I think Dobson will be really good too.

Gorton would never do that. You're forgetting that we already have 2 other 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks. That would give us 4 1sts and 4 2nds, and it has already been widely speculated that Gorton won't actually select players with all of those picks, instead using some as currency to move up or make trades.

If we get the 1st overall pick, we are going to draft Dahlin.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Let's face it, the only reason people "feel" like we are about to win the lottery is that this is the first time we are getting a shot at it. The odds are 94% that we don't get Rasmus.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not sure how you put Ottawa with the first group and Edmonton with the second group. Ottawa came one goal away from the SCF last year and Edmonton was in the basement this year with McDavid.
Edmonton would have a multi-Norris talent on defense and Gretzky at even strength at center. They can't possibly not be good. It would be by accident, but it would work.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Let's face it, the only reason people "feel" like we are about to win the lottery is that this is the first time we are getting a shot at it. The odds are 94% that we don't get Rasmus.

We last won the cup in 94. Can't be a coincidence. It just can't be. A 6% chance to get him. Doug Lidster, also a defenseman, wore #6 in 94.

The stars are aligning people.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm not expecting Dahlin but it will be a nice surprise. I'll be more than thrilled of Svechnokov or Zadina/Boqvist are on this roster. And if it's Zadina and they draft Kaut....#CzechVoltron

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The question before was one of whether or not the NHL would rather have those talents in big or small markets. I agree that they'd prefer them in big markets, and am using Matthews as proof of that. Again, assuming one believes the NHL has anything to do with choosing.

The other potential logic would be that teams like NYR and Toronto are going to rake in cash almost no matter what, but a team like AZ may need that type of player to fill seats.

The thing is, and I wish I had hard numbers to back this, filling seats is not that big of a component to the overall revenue equation. I mean, a sold out arena in Glendale would be good for the league, but not nearly as good from a financial perspective as a flagship franchise winning multiple Cups led by a superstar talent.

Very curious to watch this play out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We have a better core (even after the sell off) than either of those franchises had at the time.

If we get any pick in the top-3, you do what you're supposed to do - take the BPA unless a ridiculous offer comes your way to move the pick.

If you're 8th, you do what you're supposed to do - take BPA unless a ridiculous offer comes your way to move the pick or you have struck a good deal to move up.

Yeah for sure, just saying that Dahlin will become franchise altering when he can play 26-30 minutes per night playing a very high level of defensive and offensive hockey. It takes longer to get to that level for a D than it does for a center.

So I wouldn’t expect him to have the same impact from day 1 as Crosby and McDavid had.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Yeah for sure, just saying that Dahlin will become franchise altering when he can play 26-30 minutes per night playing a very high level of defensive and offensive hockey. It takes longer to get to that level for a D than it does for a center.

So I wouldn’t expect him to have the same impact from day 1 as Crosby and McDavid had.
I agree 100 percent! I'd rather them pick a center than a D man for immediate impact. That's what this team needs.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I legitimately view this year as different. The Penguins, as much as I hate to admit it, needed Crosby. McDavid going to Edmonton was a joke, but understandable. Vegas is in a good position already. Toronto is healthy. The league is trying to expand again. NYC is important to that growth.

Trust me, I have very little love for the NHL and their treatment of the Rangers, but I just feel like something is up this year.

Especially with the Islanders being mediocre again, and their management being bunch of morons, the Rangers are the highest valued team in the league and have some of the highest ticket prices in the league. That's a big pull for the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad