What if the Kraken traded for Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Yeah. Saw that. Keith is really not very effective at this stage and has 2 more years left. I would rather stick with Gio if we want a vet presence at the blue line.
That's why I put it in this thread instead of the Who do you want and Most likely to be threads.

Didn't think it warranted it's own thread, so I just decided this would be good generic catch all thread since other trades have been discussed in here.

I see it made it's way into the Expansion Draft thread and Vancouver is out of the running.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I’d pass on Keith. There’s no upside other than veteran leadership which we’ll likely get in the expansion draft anyway.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
The only upside would be if they are adding some solid prospects and/or picks to go with him. If not, I don't really get why Francis would be interested in a 37 year old Keith.

He wouldn't be, unless there was some serious compensation coming along with him, and I don't think Chicago is desperate enough to pay the asking price to lose that contract. At least I don't think they should be, but who knows? If they are, I would not be against it if the price was right. Anything extra we can shake teams down for is only gonna help us out in the long run.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Even if the Leafs were looking to trade Marner, which they aren't for at least another year, I can't see them biting on such a package as the OP suggests. From our perspective, I don't really see the point, especially if acquiring Marner would involve draft choices and, I'm guessing that at least a 1st would have to be in that package in addition to whatever else there is. Besides, what are we a Marner or Eichel away from? I think acquiring either would come with way too much downside to be feasible or beneficial.

Reactions: benedictTavares

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Even if the Leafs were looking to trade Marner, which they aren't for at least another year, I can't see them biting on such a package as the OP suggests. From our perspective, I don't really see the point, especially if acquiring Marner would involve draft choices and, I'm guessing that at least a 1st would have to be in that package in addition to whatever else there is. Besides, what are we a Marner or Eichel away from? I think acquiring either would come with way too much downside to be feasible or beneficial.

The OP seems to be a Pens fan and like you've said, trading for Marner or Eichel doesn't make sense for an expansion team right out of the gate.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
The OP seems to be a Pens fan and like you've said, trading for Marner or Eichel doesn't make sense for an expansion team right out of the gate.

Not for a team starting from scratch in need to built up not just their NHL roster but also their farm system.

Hard disagree on this. Obtaining a YOUNG franchise type player absolutely makes sense for an expansion team, the trick is doing so without damaging your ability to build your roster and depth. This means they would have to acquire significant extra assets in order to pull it off, either in side deals during the expansion draft, or separate trades after the fact. IF you can swing a deal like this without shooting yourself in the foot, you 100% do it.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA

The "We're not a (insert player here) away from winning" argument doesn't make sense here, as it only really applies to aging players or short term rentals. Your last sentence is the biggest consideration when approaching a potential deal like this. You're right in that the cost/downside may be too high to make the deal work. However, if you can secure enough pieces to make a decent offer, you have to explore it, the upside of getting a young franchise player right out of the gate is too good to ignore.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The "We're not a (insert player here) away from winning" argument doesn't make sense here, as it only really applies to aging players or short term rentals. Your last sentence is the biggest consideration when approaching a potential deal like this. You're right in that the cost/downside may be too high to make the deal work. However, if you can secure enough pieces to make a decent offer, you have to explore it, the upside of getting a young franchise player right out of the gate is too good to ignore.

I actually agree. To a point.

A young superstar like Eichel, assuming the injury issues check out, could be a good start to the franchise. The problem is that the most valuable assets we have right now our 1st round picks for the next few years. A trade for Eichel would potentially be based on multiple 1st round picks from us over the next 2-3 years and some acquisitions in the expansion draft. Too steep a price for a team that will be limited on elite talent to begin with and gives up the chance to acquire most of such talent when they give up their first round picks.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I actually agree. To a point.

A young superstar like Eichel, assuming the injury issues check out, could be a good start to the franchise. The problem is that the most valuable assets we have right now our 1st round picks for the next few years. A trade for Eichel would potentially be based on multiple 1st round picks from us over the next 2-3 years and some acquisitions in the expansion draft. Too steep a price for a team that will be limited on elite talent to begin with and gives up the chance to acquire most of such talent when they give up their first round picks.

As I said earlier, it would depend on getting significant resources (including first round picks) in side deals to even take a shot at it. If we can't, then yeah giving away the firsts we currently have for the foreseeable future would be a terrible idea.

Again, I don't think a deal like this is likely to happen at all, it's extremely far fetched. However, if you can gain enough extra picks, you go for it. Those picks are a CHANCE at a decent player, and a very small chance at an elite one. A couple of those chances for an already elite player that is still young is a steal, and the idea that there's no place for a player like Eichel or Marner on this team is ridiculous.

Also as a side point, you obviously don't make a deal for Eichel unless you're 100% clear on what's going on with his neck.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As I said earlier, it would depend on getting significant resources (including first round picks) in side deals to even take a shot at it. If we can't, then yeah giving away the firsts we currently have for the foreseeable future would be a terrible idea.

Again, I don't think a deal like this is likely to happen at all, it's extremely far fetched. However, if you can gain enough extra picks, you go for it. Those picks are a CHANCE at a decent player, and a very small chance at an elite one. A couple of those chances for an already elite player that is still young is a steal, and the idea that there's no place for a player like Eichel or Marner on this team is ridiculous.

Also as a side point, you obviously don't make a deal for Eichel unless you're 100% clear on what's going on with his neck.

Agreed. Lets say we get 3-4 additional 1st round picks between this draft and the next (highly unlikely I know). In that case you give up 3 of those picks and player of choice in the expansion draft. Still leaves u with 2 first round picks this season and next (may be later than the 2nd) and gets us a 1C for now and the future (assuming Eichel's neck injury).

I do think its highly unlikely for all this to happen since other teams are going to have better prospects and players than us in that trade.

Reactions: StarterHart

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Leafs fan coming in hostile.

I've humoured with the idea before of rather than just losing a player (Rielly, in that instance) to Seattle, you have them pay you an asset for a better player. While I find the concept intriguing, I unfortunately don't think management is going to be at all receptive to moving a core player, no matter how many Leafs fans volunteer to drive Marner to the airport.

I like the idea personally, but I wouldn't just want a collection of picks. A three quarters for a dollar type trade, like the Pacioretty deal (Tatar, Suzuki, 2nd), would be the sort of package I'd be interested in.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm a new Kracken fan from the most pathetic sports franchise of all time. If you trade for Marner
you make the playoffs but he can't handle big games. He may even be at $11 Million, the worst playoff performer ever. Guys like Francis would never bring a cancer like him on board. The Leafs won't trade him because he has no market value. I wouldn't even trade the number 2 pick for him.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I'm a new Kracken fan from the most pathetic sports franchise of all time. If you trade for Marner
you make the playoffs but he can't handle big games. He may even be at $11 Million, the worst playoff performer ever. Guys like Francis would never bring a cancer like him on board. The Leafs won't trade him because he has no market value. I wouldn't even trade the number 2 pick for him.

Terrible take. Guess who has the most Toronto playoff points on the entire roster? Yep, it's Marner. I see this argument all the time, and it's dumb. The Leafs aren't trading him because they don't want to, he absolutely has value and would bring back a haul. The reason Toronto SHOULD consider doing it is purely because of the flat cap, not because of some dumb knee jerk reaction to the last playoff series he played that completely ignores his past playoff production.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Terrible take. Guess who has the most Toronto playoff points on the entire roster? Yep, it's Marner. I see this argument all the time, and it's dumb. The Leafs aren't trading him because they don't want to, he absolutely has value and would bring back a haul. The reason Toronto SHOULD consider doing it is purely because of the flat cap, not because of some dumb knee jerk reaction to the last playoff series he played that completely ignores his past playoff production.
He ain't worth $11 million and I wouldn't trade the number 2 pick for him. In 3 playoff seasons how many goals does he have?

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
He ain't worth $11 million and I wouldn't trade the number 2 pick for him. In 3 playoff seasons how many goals does he have?

This is vastly different than saying he's a cancer and has no trade value. So which is it? And if your sole barometer for a player's value is playoff goals, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck?

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Don't let the Leaf fans and pundits scam you . all this talk about Marner's playoff record is them deflecting attention away from the fact the so called "GOAT" , Generational Superstar Mathews hasn't done Jack in the playoffs either. Every coach in the league will tell you that no matter who else in the game Mitch Marner is always the smartest guy on the ice , he isn't going anywhere .

How about todays news that Price waived his NMC and the Habs left him off the protected list ?

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Mathews hasn't done Jack in the playoffs either. Every coach in the league will tell you that no matter who else in the game Mitch Marner is always the smartest guy on the ice , he isn't going anywhere .

LOL what a f***ing loser with 0 hockey knowledge or eyesight apparently. You are everything wrong with this fanbase. You are an embarrassment to this city.

the dumbass has a pic of Keith Ahlie being beat wide in his avatar like Aulie was some defensive star… the guy was a #7 D.

bro is literally a loser LOL.

mac nylander

May 23, 2021
New York, NY

Oh here we go, you mad 'cus you be coming home from your trash dead end job to drink your bud lights and smoke your dirty cigarettes all in the meantime yelling at your wife everyday because the Leafs suck.

Don't ever come back, fans like you are ****ing cancer

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Oh here we go, you mad 'cus you be coming home from your trash dead end job to drink your bud lights and smoke your dirty cigarettes all in the meantime yelling at your wife everyday because the Leafs suck.

Don't ever come back, fans like you are ****ing cancer
Given that almost none of what you said is true, I can assume you are talking about yourself and enjoy losing. Fans like you are the problem.This a Kraken board , get a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad