Speculation: What if the Jets won the NHL Lottery...

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
So how did your Giroux do with his supporting cast of Richards and Carter in Philly?
Two can play that game. It's not about Canadians or Europeans, it's about building
a good team with a mix of different players that work together.

I guess all 30 GM's in the NHL have to learn from you, as not one of them has gone with a
all Canadian line up

And thus over the last 9 Stanley Cups, 9 different teams have won :sarcasm:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
There was a time when only Canadian-born captains hoisted the cup.

Those times have changed thanks to hatcher, lidstrom, chara and brown.

Hockey is much more a global sport, and imo, its about the players willingness to sacrifice and will to win, and not his passport. Don't care where you're from, only care if you are relentless in your pursuit of the cup. Relentless.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Take Drouin!!!, and trade Bogo(we only have him like 75% of the time anyway)+Wellwood for some other crappy teams 1st. Make them more of the Winnipeg's Jets as much as possible. Or some other combo, but get 2 first rounders some how.

No joke, this season is tank.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Take Drouin!!!, and trade Bogo(we only have him like 75% of the time anyway)+Wellwood for some other crappy teams 1st. Make them more of the Winnipeg's Jets as much as possible. Or some other combo, but get 2 first rounders some how.

Not sure if trading Bogo is a good idea.. He's the only defenseman we have that can handle forwards with either size or speed well. Or forwards that have both for that matter.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Stopped reading there.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Didn't Thomas win the Conn Smythe? Wasn't Kopitar that elite, 2-way, big #1 center that people are always raving about that you have to have? Hell, how was either team going to win those cups without their Conn Smythe winning AMERICAN?????

Go god dam figure the teams have a majority of Canadians! It's mostly a Canadian league and mostly a Canadian sport. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Not one god dam person on this board would have figured that out, Canadian, American, or Swedish. Not one of us could have figured that out.

Now now, no need to bring god into the equation. Unless of course you intend on winning the Stanley cup with Ovy and Backstrom or the Sedin sisters as your nucleus, in that case you just might need him!

I was also talking of nucleus' of a team to build on, not the complete team. Alot of European players fit just fine as supporting staff. As Sting 13 says 'it's about building a good team with a mix of different players that work together.'' but I would add, with good Canadian kids that fit the mold and rank high on the criteria I mentioned in one of my previous posts as the nucleus'. Which again brings me back to my main point in this thread that I believe Chevy should pick the highest rated player with the highest rating in that same criteria. In my mind, this would be a Canadian prospect......

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I honestly had no idea that people still believed in the idea of needing "good Canadian kids" to win. I'm at a loss for words, I'm trying to come up with a reasoned argument about why I disagree with you, but anything I say will come off as extremely condescending.
I don't care where players on the Jets are from, if they make us better I want them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Now now, no need to bring god into the equation. Unless of course you intend on winning the Stanley cup with Ovy and Backstrom or the Sedin sisters as your nucleus, in that case you just might need him!

I was also talking of nucleus' of a team to build on, not the complete team. Alot of European players fit just fine as supporting staff. As Sting 13 says 'it's about building a good team with a mix of different players that work together.'' but I would add, with good Canadian kids that fit the mold and rank high on the criteria I mentioned in one of my previous posts as the nucleus'. Which again brings me back to my main point in this thread that I believe Chevy should pick the highest rated player with the highest rating in that same criteria. In my mind, this would be a Canadian prospect......

I disagree With the supporting cast comment!

LA won and their best 4 players were Quick (American), Kopi (euro), Doughty (Canadian), and Brown (American)...... Then the complementary pieces were Richie, Carter, Mitchelle, Scuderi......then the rest of the team IMHO. Boston had lots of Canadians but Thomas was the MVP (American) and Chara was their best skater (Transylvania......ok that was a cheap shot). detroit's last cup was euro dominated as far as their top players. Even the Sedin sisters were 1 game away from cup on home ice so although they are not my cup of tea it's not like they are blow outs. Ovi I will agree with you on. Very old and tired argument from the xenophobic Canadian Cherry heads.

Character and grit comes in all shapes, sizes, and nationalities.......I love my country and like good hard nosed Canadian hockey but it's time to get past this egocentric view.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Best player available, I don't care what position he plays or country he comes from. Where we need help right now is not a concern.

When you have the first overall pick, you take the best 18 year old on earth and adjust your team around him, not the other way around.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Best player available, I don't care what position he plays or country he comes from. Where we need help right now is not a concern.

When you have the first overall pick, you take the best 18 year old on earth and adjust your team around him, not the other way around.

Agreed 1000% percent. Although I would say instead of the best 18 year old on earth, the 18 year old that you feel will be the best professional hockey player.

Everything else is just noise.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Agreed 1000% percent. Although I would say instead of the best 18 year old on earth, the 18 year old that you feel will be the best professional hockey player.

I dunno bout this advice. I'd feel pretty silly passing up Mackinnon or Barkov just cause they're 17.

:sarcasm:

I wonder if scouts are taking age into acccount much here. Jones is 11 months older than Mackinnon and Barkov and 6 months older than Drouin.

Last edited:

Hansen Brother

Jul 30, 2011
In TO, from Keystone

While in theory I agree, what happens if for years and years your bpa is always the same position every time? What if according to your scouts, for five years in a row the bpa is always RD? I know it's unlikely but it's not impossible, what then? I suppose the answer is trade, but I suspect that is far easier to say on a board than it is to execute in reality. In economic terms you would have an oversupply which drives down the price.

Besides, once you get past the first few players there's usually a few guys who are pretty close and there's no clear cut answer as to who is/will be better.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Except the only problem with this is it very far from an exact science and it is only a GM's (and scouting team's) best guess at who is the best player available. When we are talking about 18 year olds that won't hit their prime for another 5-7 years there will be as many busts as hits. Consequently I would argue other variables also need to be weighed if in your opinion 2 or more players are roughly equal.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I guess it comes down to how firm any teams list is......if you get up to pick number 10 and you have a RH D man (we have a glut) there but 11 on your list is very close and he is a player who addresses a short and long term organizational need (lets say right wing) do you stick to your exact order or is there some room for movement? I assume that is why they take their time to get to the podium on occasion (other than fielding offers) no?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
While in theory I agree, what happens if for years and years your bpa is always the same position every time? What if according to your scouts, for five years in a row the bpa is always RD? I know it's unlikely but it's not impossible, what then? I suppose the answer is trade, but I suspect that is far easier to say on a board than it is to execute in reality. In economic terms you would have an oversupply which drives down the price.

Besides, once you get past the first few players there's usually a few guys who are pretty close and there's no clear cut answer as to who is/will be better.

If the clear cut bpa(according) to the teams scouts was rd over and over again, then I would keep drafting that player and make othermoves accordingly. Now, if it's not so clear cut then other variables like position could come into play.

Except the only problem with this is it very far from an exact science and it is only a GM's (and scouting team's) best guess at who is the best player available. When we are talking about 18 year olds that won't hit their prime for another 5-7 years there will be as
many busts as hits. Consequently I would argue other variables also need to be weighed if in your opinion 2 or more players are roughly equal.

That's 100 percent true, but my comment was mainly in regards to players that may not be equal, but where a team is taking a guy based on position. Say we are picking 4th and 1 to 3 is Mac, drouin, and barkov (because teams picked centers). If jones is clearly the next best player in the scouts eyes, I wouldn't want to pass on him because centre is currently a bigger need.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
True, passin up the clear BPA for need always seems to end poorly.

All depends what our scouts think I guess. Man if we could just get our hands on one of those top 3-4 forwards...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I guess it comes down to how firm any teams list is......if you get up to pick number 10 and you have a RH D man (we have a glut) there but 11 on your list is very close and he is a player who addresses a short and long term organizational need (lets say right wing) do you stick to your exact order or is there some room for movement? I assume that is why they take their time to get to the podium on occasion (other than fielding offers) no?

That's why if you're a proactive GM, you think every scenario possible through your head. Look at all the variables. And if those two players are projected to have similar ceilings, going after the need guy isn't always a bad idea. But you don't want to go for need if that player misses. You want to hit and hit a home run at that. That gives you options down the road.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I dunno bout this advice. I'd feel pretty silly passing up Mackinnon or Barkov just cause they're 17.

I wonder if scouts are taking age into acccount much here. Jones is 11 months older than Mackinnon and Barkov and 6 months older than Drouin.
I'm bumping Mackinnon a few spots up in my personal "who I'd pick" for that reason alone. I mean, he's ONE MONTH from being in next years draft. If he was a year better and in the draft next year? Unless he stagnates now, there's no WAY you wouldn't take him, right?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm bumping Mackinnon a few spots up in my personal "who I'd pick" for that reason alone. I mean, he's ONE MONTH from being in next years draft. If he was a year better and in the draft next year? Unless he stagnates now, there's no WAY you wouldn't take him, right?

Interesting note. I'm sure whoever grabs MacK won't be disappointed.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

There was an article posted last week about teams having a bias for picking relatively older players in the draft. Baisically early year birthdays are taken at a higher rate than what turn out to be bonafide NHL players. So no doubt scouts are often fooled by not taking into account a players age.

Roaring Finnigan

Feb 8, 2013
winnipeg
Defence Wins Cups

-I would pick Seth Jones and pray Scheifele is the centerman to play with Kane.
-then try and move up in the draft and package a player and draft picks to get a top six forward
-I wish Buff was a forward because I hate him as a defence man...so it might be Buff I would consider trading
-Trouba, Jones, Enstrom and Bogo are 4 pretty good defence man to have
-I think Ladd and Little and Wheeler are a second line...Kane should be first line player but he hasn't seemed to found any chemistry with anyone yet due to lack of talent on the team
-I think Chevy is going to do some wheeling and dealing especially if we get the first pick overall
-Hainsey and Antopov are gone
-Burmistrov it looks like might be gone as well but he has the highest Corsi number on the team so I hope Noel can coach him to do what he wants

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
What I would do. Obviously first determine who you feel is the best player/most beneficial for the future of the team. then make a deal....

something like this...

we decide that adding a star forward (mackinnon,drouin or whoever) is our biggest need. lets say we decide on mackinnon or drouin as equals... scouts have drouin mack and jones as 1a 1b 1c

TRADE the first overall pick to the team with the #2 spot or #3 spot ASSUMING that one of those two teams REALLLLY wants seth jones. acquire an additional pick somewhere or maybe a prospect as compensation for the swap. and then take either mackinnon or drouin at the #2 or #3 spot

vice versa if theres a situation where we want seth jones and someone really wants mackinnon and are picking 2nd

prob never happen, but interesting thought

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad