Speculation: What if the Jets won the NHL Lottery...

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
:facepalm: Noooo, the guy that wears #8 for us. :laugh:

Rightly or wrongly it seems like a lot of the people around here seem to be losing faith in Burmi becoming more than a defensively solid 3rd line centre with tantalizing skill that doesn't translate into offence. I'm not in that camp but I can understand the frustration with him.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Rightly or wrongly it seems like a lot of the people around here seem to be losing faith in Burmi becoming more than a defensively solid 3rd line centre with tantalizing skill that doesn't translate into offence. I'm not in that camp but I can understand the frustration with him.

I'm not sure what has caused people to lose faith in high picks 2-3 years after they're drafted, but I think it's silly. People see these top end picks developing and making huge impacts while still in their ELCs but that just doesn't happen. There is only one Crosby, one Malkin, one Toews, one Kane, one Doughty. Those are the exceptions, not the rule.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
I have to go with Drouin or MacKinnon.

Both are NHL ready. Both have star potential on a team that has lots of 2nd-4th line depth but only one true star in Kane.

We need someone that can skate with Kane, drive to the net for rebounds, improve the cycle game, improve the PP, match up with the best centers in the league, on and on..

I just think defenseman are so so hard to project and take so long to develop that there is better value for us to take the elite center.

You could always trade out of the one spot to 2 or 3 and gather other assets.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Canadian kids grow up dreaming about the Stanley Cup. No one else does. In the words of Bryzgalov "we dont get paid in the playoffs"

Gotta love the Anti-American post

Would love to see a team pass on Seth and watch him become the next Chelios while MacKinnon equates to Daigle

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
We are not going to be competing with Edmonton and Vancouver for division
champions as we will not be in the same division as them.

Jones is good but we have Trouba coming up. We need some quality forwards.
I would rather go for Valeri Nichushkin, Jonathan Drouin or possibly Nathan MacKinnon

The key is to be in top 4 in the draft this year to get anyone of the big 4.

This draft is deeper than those of the past. Lindholm and Barkov have star potential. Even a guy like Pulock will be a steal

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I'm not sure what has caused people to lose faith in high picks 2-3 years after they're drafted, but I think it's silly. People see these top end picks developing and making huge impacts while still in their ELCs but that just doesn't happen. There is only one Crosby, one Malkin, one Toews, one Kane, one Doughty. Those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I agree. People need to temper their expectations a bit not that many players start making a real impact till 22-24 outside of the first couple of picks in the draft.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
You could always trade out of the one spot to 2 or 3 and gather other assets.

Not sure if those teams in 2 or 3 spot would trade to number 1 as it seems if you have
a pick in the top 4 or 5 you will get a good player anyway.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
I hope the scouts have spent the last 7 months and the next 3 months scounting the hell out of the top 20 elligible players in the world and ranked them all by 1st - individual skill level, 2nd - In-game work ethic and focus, 3rd - Desire to win and hate to lose attitude, 4th - Personal commitment (almost obsessive) towards physical conditioning and 5th - Well adjusted mature (as mature as one can be at 18) individual with positive personal traits and respectful moral values and pick the highest rated prospect in their mind using this or criteria very close to this! If there is a player out there the likes of Toews, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares or Giroux (coiincidence that they are all Canadians? Hmmm??) we should be able to draft him!

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Given Chevy's brief history here, our first overall pick would probably be Hunter Shinkaruk.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I hope the scouts have spent the last 7 months and the next 3 months scounting the hell out of the top 20 elligible players in the world and ranked them all by 1st - individual skill level, 2nd - In-game work ethic and focus, 3rd - Desire to win and hate to lose attitude, 4th - Personal commitment (almost obsessive) towards physical conditioning and 5th - Well adjusted mature (as mature as one can be at 18) individual with positive personal traits and respectful moral values and pick the highest rated prospect in their mind using this or criteria very close to this! If there is a player out there the likes of Toews, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares or Giroux (coiincidence that they are all Canadians? Hmmm??) we should be able to draft him!

Coincidence? No, because you picked the names.
But I'm pretty sure most GM's would be happy with say Malkin, Kesler, H. Sedin,
D. Sedin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Chara, etc. etc.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

IMO part of the problem started with the organization in Atlanta rushing picks before they were ready and Burmi was the worst example of this. Burmi gets compared to some of the top players because he started as an 18 year old. On a team that properly developed their players at best he is a rookie this year, maybe not even on the team yet, and everyone would then be talking about his potential, but instead he is a 3 year veteran who is under achieving.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
IMO part of the problem started with the organization in Atlanta rushing picks before they were ready and Burmi was the worst example of this. Burmi gets compared to some of the top players because he started as an 18 year old. On a team that properly developed their players at best he is a rookie this year, maybe not even on the team yet, and everyone would then be talking about his potential, but instead he is a 3 year veteran who is under achieving.

The interesting thing with Burmistrov is that in his draft year Atlanta picked him 8th overall, but his numbers put him at being the 4th or 5th best player in the whole draft ( so far). So not a bad pick based on everyone else that was drafted that year.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Malkin, P.Kane, Kopitar, and Thomas would all like to have a word with you....

I mentioned this somewhere else, but how much further would his development actually be? His offensive game might be a little further along, but his defensive game might not be much further. He's 21. I don't know if I'd call this year underachieving.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Coincidence? No, because you picked the names.
But I'm pretty sure most GM's would be happy with say Malkin, Kesler, H. Sedin,
D. Sedin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Chara, etc. etc.

I picked the names yes, because these are the players that I would genuinely be absolutely confident in basing and building 'my' team on as opposed to any of the other ones that you mentioned! IMHO my team would have the upper hand in terms of the nuclei to build around... Just saying... My opinion. So I'm partial to the Canadian players' passion towards our game:sueme:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I picked the names yes, because these are the players that I would genuinely be absolutely confident in basing and building 'my' team on as opposed to any of the other ones that you mentioned! IMHO my team would have the upper hand in terms of the nuclei to build around... Just saying... My opinion. So I'm partial to the Canadian players' passion towards our game:sueme:

With us picking zero Europeans so far in two drafts I don't think what your saying is as outlandish as it seems.

IMO there's nothing that sets Toews apart from Datsyuk when it comes to on ice play. Different strokes for different folks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Malkin, P.Kane, Kopitar, and Thomas would all like to have a word with you....

I mentioned this somewhere else, but how much further would his development actually be? His offensive game might be a little further along, but his defensive game might not be much further. He's 21. I don't know if I'd call this year underachieving.

I don't think his development would be much further along? And I agree the offense would have been more likely to benefit if he wasn't rushed. But I was thinking more along the lines of how people judged his development. If he was a rookie, people would be talking about his potential. But now that he is in his third year it is why isn't he doing more. Same player, same age, different fan expectations. Personally I'm willing to give him another year or 2 and see how things go.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Grow Up. One player doesn't speak for everyone. You seem to know what every person
in the world is thinking. I'm so tired people hiding behind computers who question other
peoples integrity. How anyone can say that every single Russian, Swede, American etc.
never dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup.

I dare you to stand in front of Dustin Byfuglien and say that to him.

I'm a proud Canadian and cheer for our Nation but to question the rest of the World
about what they dream of is crazy. Unless you talk to ever single player, you can't
speak for them. Only 10 of the Jets 24 players are Canadian. I doubt they would
be thrilled with your comments.

When is the last time an all Canadian team won the Stanley Cup?

I would include Americans too. Hey I'm just stating the facts. The stats back it up.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

And yet only one of year guys you picked was a significant contributor to a cup wining team whereas the fours guys I mentioned were. Malkin, Thomas, and Kopitar having te biggest effect on the team.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't think his development would be much further along? And I agree the offense would have been more likely to benefit if he wasn't rushed. But I was thinking more along the lines of how people judged his development. If he was a rookie, people would be talking about his potential. But now that he is in his third year it is why isn't he doing more. Same player, same age, different fan expectations. Personally I'm willing to give him another year or 2 and see how things go.

Ok so you're saying people's perception of Burmi is skewed because of how he's been handled. Interesting theory that's probably fairly accurate. I don't agree with people that look at him like that at all of course. People have to have patience.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
And yet only one of year guys you picked was a significant contributor to a cup wining team whereas the fours guys I mentioned were. Malkin, Thomas, and Kopitar having te biggest effect on the team.

As far as Thomas and Kopitar are concerned, I wonder how LA would have done without his Canadian born supporting staff such as Richards, Carter and Doughty? How about Thomas without Seguin, Horton, Marchand and Lucic. Malkin without Crosby and Letang. Not very far I'm afraid. Just so happens that Boston Bruins had 18 of 25 of their players being Canadian while LA had 16 of of 28, both teams with the highest number of Canadians on their rosters won the last 2 Stanley cups of the teams involved in the finals.. Definitely not a coincident IMO. For now anyways, I wouldn't be willing to risk my first pick on another Yugoslavian that might end up as as good as Kopitar. Odds would not be in my favour I'm afraid. I would rather take my chances on Drouin thank you very much! Americans are getting better in terms of passion towards the game but still have a ways to go IMO. What have the Canucks won relying on their 2 superstar Sedin sisters as nucleus'?

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
As far as Thomas and Kopitar are concerned, I wonder how LA would have done without his Canadian born supporting staff such as Richards, Carter and Doughty? How about Thomas without Seguin, Horton, Marchand and Lucic. Malkin without Crosby and Letang. Not very far I'm afraid. Just so happens that Boston Bruins had 18 of 25 of their players being Canadian while LA had 16 of of 28, both teams with the highest number of Canadians on their rosters won the last 2 Stanley cups of the teams involved in the finals.. Definitely not a coincident IMO. For now anyways, I wouldn't be willing to risk my first pick on another Yugoslavian that might end up as as good as Kopitar. Odds would not be in my favour I'm afraid. I would rather take my chances on Drouin thank you very much! Americans are getting better in terms of passion towards the game but still have a ways to go IMO. What have the Canucks won relying on their 2 superstar Sedin sisters as nucleus'?

So how did your Giroux do with his supporting cast of Richards and Carter in Philly?
Two can play that game. It's not about Canadians or Europeans, it's about building
a good team with a mix of different players that work together.

I guess all 30 GM's in the NHL have to learn from you, as not one of them has gone with a
all Canadian line up.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Didn't Thomas win the Conn Smythe? Wasn't Kopitar that elite, 2-way, big #1 center that people are always raving about that you have to have? Hell, how was either team going to win those cups without their Conn Smythe winning AMERICAN?????

Go god dam figure the teams have a majority of Canadians! It's mostly a Canadian league and mostly a Canadian sport. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Not one god dam person on this board would have figured that out, Canadian, American, or Swedish. Not one of us could have figured that out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad