Online Series: What if...? - Summer 2021 on Disney+

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Contrarily to the other Marvel shows, I think this one (up until now) started low and gets better each week.

Completely agree. Maybe it was their intent to start slow and build in to what it can be but the first two felt safe and rushed. The Avengers one seemed interesting but still bland. This one really grabbed what the format can do and brought the heat. Next week could do the same from the preview images.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
When I saw that it was a zombie themed episode, I thought I would hate it... I ended up being very entertained. They played with the tropes very well. Funny AND dramatic at the same time. Great job.

The way it ended, I thought it would be a two-parter, but I looked at IMDB and it does not seem to be.

Open-ended ending is kinda cool though.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's What If? You're overthinking it. You're just supposed to go along for the ride.

That could be an argument for plot inconstancies, but not having an understanding of tone isn't excusable. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too by introducing horror but keeping up with the constant marvel quippy-ness, and it just didn't work.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
That could be an argument for plot inconstancies, but not having an understanding of tone isn't excusable. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too by introducing horror but keeping up with the constant marvel quippy-ness, and it just didn't work.

I think they made it work well. It was dramatic, yet, very Marvel-like.

They even gave a "in universe" explanation with Spider-Man telling the group what his aunt told him.

Reactions: Jussi

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think they made it work well. It was dramatic, yet, very Marvel-like.

They even gave a "in universe" explanation with Spider-Man telling the group what his aunt told him.

I dunno. Having Happy going "blam blam" when he shoots the iron man glove, to Happy bring murdered by zombie Hawkeye, to Sharon Carter joking to about the "blam blam", to Peter mourning Happy. Just complete whiplash.

Same with when Sharon gets turned. Sharon is killed, then the wasp goes inside her then gets big again joking "I have Sharon on me" when she explodes her friend. Then everyone gets really sad that the wasp was cut and is about to turn when they are so close to a cure, despite the fact that Sharon was also turned just a few seconds ago and all she got was a joke about how she was exploded.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
For those that might not know the episode is "based" or borrows from a short arc of comics called "Marvel Zombies" by Kirkman, the same dude that wrote the Walking Dead comics and Invincible which is now on Amazon Prime. The zombies are on Earth-2149. The virus is so strong that in the comics it even infects the like of Wolverine, Deadpool and the Hulk though those with a strong healing factor like them can fight it off longer and take much longer usually to change into zombies. It even infects Asgard and the Phoenix force. Crazy and fun stuff lol

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I dunno. Having Happy going "blam blam" when he shoots the iron man glove, to Happy bring murdered by zombie Hawkeye, to Sharon Carter joking to about the "blam blam", to Peter mourning Happy. Just complete whiplash.

Same with when Sharon gets turned. Sharon is killed, then the wasp goes inside her then gets big again joking "I have Sharon on me" when she explodes her friend. Then everyone gets really sad that the wasp was cut and is about to turn when they are so close to a cure, despite the fact that Sharon was also turned just a few seconds ago and all she got was a joke about how she was exploded.

You really need to read some What If comics. The stories I've read back in the day, took the absurdity to 11. You're not supposed to expect "normal" MCU level storytelling with What If, it just goes too bonkers occasionally to be compared to that.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I enjoyed the episode. Fun with a broad cast. Thought last week's episode with Dr. Strange was the weakest one so far, and even that was still watchable.
What If has been my favorite of the four online series so far.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I enjoyed the episode. Fun with a broad cast. Thought last week's episode with Dr. Strange was the weakest one so far, and even that was still watchable.
What If has been my favorite of the four online series so far.
Loki was been my favorite.

"What if" isn't for me though. I can't watch a beloved franchise and not overthink things so it's just pure entertainment rather than actual gratification.

With that said, it's still better than falcon+WS.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I liked this episode. Seems quite a few people on Reddit and such didn’t. I liked Killmongers line “The difference between you and me…is that you can’t see the difference between you and me.”

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Caught up to the latest episode last night .. nice easy watch to have on. Nothing intense to focus on.

How many episodes are they doing?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
This weeks episode was probably my least favourite, really didn’t care for the story line. Felt like a filler episode. The ending was interesting, hopefully that story line finishes somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad