Speculation: What if Skinner walks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He wanted out of CAR for the final year of his current deal, they were not playing him with the teams best players(he was on the third line). He wanted a pay day, and he will get it.

Skinner and their agent knew what they we doing. If we offer 80/8 and he walks for 60/7 but to a winning team, like Nashville, you still blame the GM?

I wouldn't blame him for Skinner's decision. That falls solely in Skinner's camp.

But, I would hope that he thought of every outcome possible with Skinner, and weighed all the circumstances, as well as got as much intel as possible on how to keep Skinner in Buffalo. If he didn't do any of this, then I will hold him responsible for not doing what he can to help the team, whether that's improving the team through the acquisitions of more assets, or improving the team this season. If we end up using a developing prospect and assets (draft picks) to rent a player for one season, a season which you were not actively trying to be as competitive as possible (I wouldn't call it tanking per se), and you end up with nothing to improve the team further, then that's poor management IMO. He gets the blame for putting us in that situation, but not the decision Skinner makes.

Reactions: DatGuy

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
I wouldn't blame him for Skinner's decision. That falls solely in Skinner's camp.

But, I would hope that he thought of every outcome possible with Skinner, and weighed all the circumstances, as well as got as much intel as possible on how to keep Skinner in Buffalo. If he didn't do any of this, then I will hold him responsible for not doing what he can to help the team, whether that's improving the team through the acquisitions of more assets, or improving the team this season. If we end up using a developing prospect and assets (draft picks) to rent a player for one season, a season which you were not actively trying to be as competitive as possible (I wouldn't call it tanking per se), and you end up with nothing to improve the team further, then that's poor management IMO. He gets the blame for putting us in that situation, but not the decision Skinner makes.
Agreed, I just don't want people to suggest that it's GMJB sole fault for skinner signing or not signing here. At the end of the day Skinner's camp has the final decision.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Has a pending UFA ever been signed by a team without a coach? :dunno:

With Botts being a "cap genius," why don't we offer a 8 yr/80M contract for Skinner as a player-coach. Since he would have both roles, we will just tell the NHL that half of that contract is for his coaching role, and therefore should not count under the cap. We get to keep our 40 goal scorer for $5M/year and we will have filled our coaching vacancy! Or he walks, and we overpay for Brock Nelson.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Letting Skinner walk would be better than signing him to a vastly overpaid contract.

I would only be mad at Botterill for the latter.

Reactions: sabresnyper

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
With Botts being a "cap genius," why don't we offer a 8 yr/80M contract for Skinner as a player-coach. Since he would have both roles, we will just tell the NHL that half of that contract is for his coaching role, and therefore should not count under the cap. We get to keep our 40 goal scorer for $5M/year and we will have filled our coaching vacancy! Or he walks, and we overpay for Brock Nelson.
Given the mental health issues on this team I'm concerned that Skinner the player could end up in Coach Skinner's doghouse.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Letting Skinner walk would be better than signing him to a vastly overpaid contract.

I would only be mad at Botterill for the latter.
This would be the second consecutive season we will have lost our second best player. That worked out so well for us last season. And let's say we let Jeff go over him wanting (just picking a number that he probably won't get) $9 million a year. Please tell me who we can realistically get in RFA for that money that would even equal the value of Jeff as a player (and we won't even consider if those guys would have any interest in coming here)?

Reactions: Drunkard

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This would be the second consecutive season we will have lost our second best player. That worked out so well for us last season. And let's say we let Jeff go over him wanting (just picking a number that he probably won't get) $9 million a year. Please tell me who we can realistically get in RFA for that money that would even equal the value of Jeff as a player (and we won't even consider if those guys would have any interest in coming here)?

$12M might get you Point. I'm not sure which is better for Buffalo; Point @$12 or Skinner @$9 + 4 1sts.

EDIT: Kyle Conner would probably be more valuable for less than $9 on an offersheet.

Reactions: sabremike

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
It is so easy to go down a rabbit hole these days. I get it.

That being said, Skinner likes it here and loves playing with Jack. This is the first time in a few years where he has been appreciated and sees promise in the club. Put me in the column we get this done and if it goes UFA, we get the tie, as he chose to be here.

Now, onto the other problems....

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Doesn’t Ottawa have alot of cap space?

Pierre Dorion said the other day not to expect Ottawa to be real players in free agency.

This article made me feel bad for Ottawa fans. Some of the quotes from Dorion... especially this one about rebuild phase 2 ... :laugh:

We’re in phase two of the rebuild,” Dorion proclaimed. “The worst is behind us and we as a hockey group feel passionate about that. I know there have been some tough times, but we feel the good times are ahead. Next year, we need to start contending for the playoffs. Two years from now we need to be a playoff team. Three years from now we need to be a team that contends in the playoffs. And those are the words from the general manager. It has to be like that. This year was a tough year, but I really feel like the worst is behind us. And maybe I’m too positive and maybe I’m too blunt, but I really feel strongly about these statements.”

https://www.tsn.ca/dorion-next-six-months-will-be-critical-for-senators-1.1287976

Here’s the one about free agency -

The Senators are expecting an influx of young talent to join the roster next season, as prospects such as Drake Batherson, Alex Formenton, Logan Brown and Brannstrom will all have legitimate shots to make the opening night roster. That means Dorion and the Senators will not be aggressive on the free agent market – although that does not come as a surprise to anybody.

“If we feel we need [to] add one veteran we might look at it, but don’t expect us to be too busy on July 1,” Dorion said.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If you offer 8-8.5 and Skinner says no not much you can do.

That being said if you can add 2 of Nelson, Lee or Silfverberg that would end the sting. Honestly if we can add Nelson @5.5-6 per and then Lee @6 or JS @5 it might be better then going up to 9 for Skinner.

Regardless, this team needs to add 1 of those 3 to add skill in the top 6. If Skinner leaves then you need 2 of the 3 to fill the gap.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That being said if you can add 2 of Nelson, Lee or Silfverberg that would end the sting. Honestly if we can add Nelson @5.5-6 per and then Lee @6 or JS @5 it might be better then going up to 9 for Skinner.

Regardless, this team needs to add 1 of those 3 to add skill in the top 6. If Skinner leaves then you need 2 of the 3 to fill the gap.

Silfverberg already re-signed in season with Anaheim.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

Silfverberg signed an extension.

Edit: beaten to punch.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Silfverberg already re-signed in season with Anaheim.

Doh. Thanks for the correction.He didn't pan out as expected when the Ryan trade happened but he is still a quality 20 goal guy. Will have to use cap friendly over the top 30 ufa list from sportsnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad