Speculation: What if Skinner walks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If we're going the offer sheet route, I still think hitting Toronto on Kapanen or Johnsson has a higher likelihood of success than offer-sheeting Marner (who I doubt would even engage Buffalo, and vice versa given what I presume to be Botts' relatively conservative nature). I'd offer one of Kapanen or Johnson a 1yr/$4m deal. If Toronto matches, go give the other guy the same offer. They can't swing paying those two guys $8m combined next year.

Botts is the last GM in the league who would offersheet someone.

Member 308457

Selling Buffalo to free agents is almost impossible unless they're from the area. Players want to go where the team has its act together. Since Pegula took over, the Sabres have become an amateur organization. That makes it almost impossible to sell to any free agent, whether he's from the area or not. The only ones we can get are the ones we have to grossly overpay who are on the downside of their career. Best bet: develop from within or start drafting women.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
It seems as though he does want to sign here, but there's a void between them regarding money. Hopefully they'll work it out, if they don't I don't think it's the end of days people are making it out to be. Olofsson showed extremely well on Jack's left side, albeit in limited viewings in garbage time. Bringing in someone like Anders Lee for less $$$ than Skinner is commanding would work out well.

This is why I still have almost zero doubts he's gonna sign here. As far as a void regarding term or money, we won't know till he signs or walks.

Reactions: Fearnot

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If he walks, it will be a bummer but it's likely a career year and you can replace him through adequate depth.

He's probably waiting to see who our coach is, I'm sure that plays a huge part in his decision.

Reactions: Franson

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If we're going the offer sheet route, I still think hitting Toronto on Kapanen or Johnsson has a higher likelihood of success than offer-sheeting Marner (who I doubt would even engage Buffalo, and vice versa given what I presume to be Botts' relatively conservative nature). I'd offer one of Kapanen or Johnson a 1yr/$4m deal. If Toronto matches, go give the other guy the same offer. They can't swing paying those two guys $8m combined next year.

That would be a great play but Botts would be like "Oh no, I can't upset the other GMs to try and actually make my team better."

If Skinner walks I'm betting we overpay a pair of mediocre middle 6 guys. I can't see Duchene coming here barring extra stupid money.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm marking you down for angry mob. If you're bringing any guests be sure to let the event planner know so we have an adequate supply of torches and pitchforks. It sucks to be the only one in a mob without a prop.

I’m already in the angry mob - I don’t think Botts has what it takes to build a winner.

Don’t care a ton about Skinner, specifically...I’m just getting the popcorn ready for the fallout.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That would imply a level of attempting to be creative that I don't think Botterill has. He hasn't shown any of that so far... it would be a surprise to see him do it now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don’t want to sign Skinner to a huge contract. If he walks, so be it. There should be some good trade options out there. I do have to say, I have no clue how Botts fixes this team by next season though. He’s in real trouble.

Sadly, the lack of improvement of the smaller pieces that make up a team, these past two seasons (and offseasons), creates the hole we're in right now. He could've done this. He could've actively improved the character/role players, instead he decided to fill those positions in the lineup with bodies with short term. It's what I wanted on the day of Bott's hiring, which is shocking since he pretty much controlled the development of said players in Pittsburgh, and what he was when he played.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
He is as good as gone in my opinion.

Will there be angry mobs turning cars over and setting them on fire in the streets? Will it be as bad as Briere/Drury ? No, but it will be a bad day when it goes down.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Can't control if he walks or not
Had the option to regain assets at the TDL
What a dumb move by the GM to not try to ship him
Plus the 2nd pick 2019

Reactions: Willgamesh

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
A couple of things. Skinner has a good gig here and will receive a good long term offer. If he wants anything like 9 million dollars for 8 years then I would hand him a bus ticket. That contract would be a drag on the team. He is a fine player but Botts has to be pragmatic. As to FAs to Buffalo and concerns about the Pegulas? Pure whimsy. The issue for players is pay, term, facilities, collegiality in the room and how coach and GM treat the players. I think offer sheeting Kapanen etc. is worth exploring. As to big contracts for guys that have not played for us? Name one that worked for us. Very very risky to pay top dollar long term for someone who has not been part of the team so you can see for yourself. Now if the new coach has had experience with a particular FA that would be useful. Interesting times....

Reactions: brian_griffin

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This is why I still have almost zero doubts he's gonna sign here. As far as a void regarding term or money, we won't know till he signs or walks.
I believe he will sign too, if the rumors about only being a million apart are true then it will get worked out. Maybe Risto goes first on the way to it working out, but it will.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Selling Buffalo to free agents is almost impossible unless they're from the area. Players want to go where the team has its act together. Since Pegula took over, the Sabres have become an amateur organization. That makes it almost impossible to sell to any free agent, whether he's from the area or not. The only ones we can get are the ones we have to grossly overpay who are on the downside of their career. Best bet: develop from within or start drafting women.

This is nonsense.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We'll be poised for a top draft position next season as well unless competent coaching turns out to be what our players need to flourish. It sucks but how are we going to find a top 4 d, 2C, 3C and a 1LW in one summer? Maybe we could get by without one or two of those pieces if everything goes well but it will be hard to compete in our conference, the other teams are improving really fast since they didn't devalue their teams with a bunch of short sighted trades.

Reactions: Drunkard

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Can't force the guy to sign but it would be a major failure.
Major failure? Not sure I agree with that. The only part of this situation I have issue with is that Botterill probably didn't try and shop him at all thinking that there was no way the team could continue it's free fall. He approached the trade deadline as a long term buyer and wanted control of Skinner to keep the dialogue going and the possibility of that long term deal.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Then he walks, we cannot do anything about it. Overpaying Skinner beyond a feasible take, is just asinine. I'm not sure anything above 8 million makes much sense.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
...anymore.

Had the entire season to do something about it after Skinner waived his NMC to come here. If he doesn't want to sign it's on the GM plain and simple.
He wanted out of CAR for the final year of his current deal, they were not playing him with the teams best players(he was on the third line). He wanted a pay day, and he will get it.

Skinner and their agent knew what they we doing. If we offer 80/8 and he walks for 60/7 but to a winning team, like Nashville, you still blame the GM?

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He wanted out of CAR for the final year of his current deal, they were not playing him with the teams best players(he was on the third line). He wanted a pay day, and he will get it.

Skinner and their agent knew what they we doing. If we offer 80/8 and he walks for 60/7 but to a winning team, like Nashville, you still blame the GM?
Um, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad