Speculation: What if Skinner walks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If we can get rid of the Okposo contract it's going to be through sheer luck. Doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible contract from day 1.

Every player has his price. If Skinner won't sign belw that then screw him. Your post implies you would sign him to a league max contact just for the sake of keeping him...

I'll add that i fully expect him to sign a somewhat reasonable contract so the premise of this thread is moot in my mind. I just don't see the point in taking pot shots at our GM who outside of one trade has done a pretty solid job so far - certainly compared to his predecessor.
We are talking an overpay of $1 million a year or so. You are using a strawman argument in that second statement. And I have no idea how you can say someone has done a "solid job" when he's posted two seasons that were both worse than the ones that justifiably cost the previous GM his job. How long should this team be allowed to be an embarrassment before Botts has to answer for it? I'm sick of this team always being one of a handful of teams in all of hockey whose season is over before it begins on a regular basis, I'm sick of the incompetence and I'm sick of the excuses.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
No joke, We got Skinner on the cheap because of NMC and now we might lose him, that's life. He was a rental and a 2nd, 3rd and Pu for a 40 goal rental is a steal. End of debate. Resigning him is pure bonus.

Re-signing shouldn’t be considered a bonus, it should be considered a requirement.

Re-signing should’ve been priority #1 the moment he came here. If Skinner doesn’t sign here, it did more harm to the future of the team than it did a positive for the future. The trade didn’t get rid of a bad contract to open cap space, the trade didn’t add any assets to our collection to help us out in the future. Right now, it’s a nice trade for the 2018-2019 season only, but as the days go by, it’s looking like a useless and bad trade overall.

Reactions: sabremike

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We are talking an overpay of $1 million a year or so. You are using a strawman argument in that second statement. And I have no idea how you can say someone has done a "solid job" when he's posted two seasons that were both worse than the ones that justifiably cost the previous GM his job. How long should this team be allowed to be an embarrassment before Botts has to answer for it? I'm sick of this team always being one of a handful of teams in all of hockey whose season is over before it begins on a regular basis, I'm sick of the incompetence and I'm sick of the excuses.

Everyone on this forum shares the same frustrations.

I guess I must be more optimistic than most since I don't believe this roster is anywhere near as bad as the standings suggest. The main thing holding the team back was Housley & that issue has now been addressed. Aside from the one trade (where I believe other forces were involved) Botterill has won just about every trade he has made. His drafting at this early stage looks to be better than Murray too - supposedly this was TM's biggest strength but in reality his drafting was terrible.

There's work to do but we could be in much worse a position.

Fyi if Skinner ended up getting 8x9 I would say that is 2m per overpaid with more term than I'd like as well. I also assume that full NTC/NMC would be a part of the contract making it more of a potential albatross in future.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
No joke, We got Skinner on the cheap because of NMC and now we might lose him, that's life. He was a rental and a 2nd, 3rd and Pu for a 40 goal rental is a steal. End of debate. Resigning him is pure bonus.
I see it as wasted assets if he walks
The team got nowhere he could have been traded to regain assets.
It was a good move to get him but not trading him when he wasn't resigned until the TDL. For a rebuilding club to lose a player to UFA isn't worth it..
I would prefer if he resigns but now its out of the GMs control..
Rentals in my opinion just make sense if you re a playoff contender.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
We just draft enough one, I mean how hard can it be, just today a guy told me their team wouldn’t need to trade for McDavid they could draft a player just as good!

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Re-signing shouldn’t be considered a bonus, it should be considered a requirement.

Re-signing should’ve been priority #1 the moment he came here. If Skinner doesn’t sign here, it did more harm to the future of the team than it did a positive for the future. The trade didn’t get rid of a bad contract to open cap space, the trade didn’t add any assets to our collection to help us out in the future. Right now, it’s a nice trade for the 2018-2019 season only, but as the days go by, it’s looking like a useless and bad trade overall.

We were trying to compete last year. You get that, right? It wasn't a tank year, it turned into one. You cannot get a player like Skinner for a 2nd and 3rd and B prospect, for a whole year. Steal of a deal, brought on by him handcuffing Hurricanes. We had some exciting November hockey because of him. I want him signed and we have an edge there too. People hand away third round picks to get a better negotiating window. Calling it a bad trade is hindsight.

Reactions: k8prisoner

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I see it as wasted assets if he walks
**not trading him when he wasn't resigned until the TDL***

How many people have to be told he had a NMC clause. Pierre Lebrun and other hockey people have confirmed this. Sabres traded for him, knowing a deadline move unlikely because he wouldn't waive it. You need proof???? Carolina had been trying to make a move for ages. NMC are a curse. If Sabres sign him, issue one should be no NMC. Forget $ and term.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
How many people have to be told he had a NMC clause. Pierre Lebrun and other hockey people have confirmed this. Sabres traded for him, knowing a deadline move unlikely because he wouldn't waive it. You need proof???? Carolina had been trying to make a move for ages. NMC are a curse. If Sabres sign him, issue one should be no NMC. Forget $ and term.

I've given up, because too many fans think a player plays just for a Cup, when many practical issues take priority most of the time, for most players.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
We were trying to compete last year. You get that, right? It wasn't a tank year, it turned into one. You cannot get a player like Skinner for a 2nd and 3rd and B prospect, for a whole year. Steal of a deal, brought on by him handcuffing Hurricanes. We had some exciting November hockey because of him. I want him signed and we have an edge there too. People hand away third round picks to get a better negotiating window. Calling it a bad trade is hindsight.

Based on Bott's words through the season, it wasn't meant to be a competitive season. Great trade for the 2018-2019 season without a doubt.

If he doesn't re-sign, it's a bad trade for the future. You didn't get rid of any bad contracts in the trade to help you out with the cap space more, you traded away valuable assets to help build your pipeline for the future, you didn't replenish any of the assets you traded away.

Of course I'm calling it a bad trade in hindsight (if he doesn't re-sign), because this is what the trade led to. There are trades that can be considered good trades, but at the conclusion looked of the term looked at as a harmful trade for Buffalo. If Skinner walks, the trade leaves Buffalo with no top 6 scorer, and the team with 3 less assets going forward. It was a gamble. Botts knew what the purpose of the trade was. He went after Skinner because he wanted first rights to Skinner, and to get a talented player signed long term. We have seen this play out in recent history. That other player also was traded for valuable assets, but the player was quickly signed to a contract. If they were unable to get that player signed it would've been a horrific trade even though it was a good trade for that particular season.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Skinner video.

The guy who compiled that did a good job. He has about 10 players total up in the last few days too. Tavares, E. Petersson in VAN, etc. I didn't see anything older than 2018-19, but then again I was looking for the Ville Leino 2013-14 goal highlights so maybe I missed it.

Skinner scores in so many different ways. He's not a 1-trick pony.

Reactions: Chainshot

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’d take Evander Kane over Jeff Skinner, but having those two and ROR right now and a good coach and we’re easily watching playoff hockey right now.

Reactions: brian_griffin

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I’d take Evander Kane over Jeff Skinner, but having those two and ROR right now and a good coach and we’re easily watching playoff hockey right now.

I don't know how we could possibly have kane, ror and skinner all at once in the cap world but thinking of it willy nilly and as possible makes me very sad lol. With skinner we have a first line, with ror we have a second line, with kane we have a third line, with larry and girgs we have a 4th line...that's how you hockey isn't it?

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
I say, forget skinner, and offer sheet Marner. between his salary, and pominville off the books, it's more than a wash. I know Marner won't score 40, but he'll help a couple get to 30. and i'd be willing to give up the 4 first rounders. hopefully they'd be 31, soon to be 32

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Thank
It's the romanticization of hockey and hockey players. Fans of this sport have always had an inferiority complex.

I also believe despite marriage and hometown as reasons for staying or leaving (Karlson ..Ryan Miller) etc .. winning is very important to them like us and Skinner.. (It’s Still a sport not just entertainment)
The team is behind him (JS) and he seems clearly behind our guys.. Eichel answer about Skinner and the recent Mitts post seem quite telling that he is part of the Group and they want him to get paid , as he knows the deal this year and still wants to be in Buffalo..Even Okposo helped him get 40 and reminds the team we take care of our players.. I may be wrong but I’m not doom and gloom about Skinner .. I’m more worried about the coaching search with our core running out two coaches w botts , giving pause to all ye who seek entry..
Duchene is apparently is a team guy and I like the chance botts took on Skinner as I’m impressed by the Columbia all in which shows the parity in this league.. If we got Duchene and a gritty killer that can score we could make a run with the right coach..and the rest of our roster after the summer training.
I like the pace in practice they are talking about under Taylor .. Hopefully he is our backup if we can’t land the STH big fish..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad