What if nothing of significance is done after this season?

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Yep, id be much more inclined to watch a struggling young team with plenty of capspace then watch this sad group again.

:handclap: Surround the youngsters with bargain free agents. Sell them at the deadline for picks. Rinse and repeat.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
The core is retained. Same goalies. Another average coach. Just exchanging some 3rd and 4th liners. AKA another "retool" + a decent draft pick.

Well it depends... I mean its awfully hard to move guys like Kessel and Phaneuf, so if we bring them back I wont' be angry about it, although I wouldn't mind them being shown the door. As for the goalies? I don't have issue with either guy, both are good (not great) goalies, no issues with them coming back. Where I will be angry is if he go out and overpay for even one free aganet, that will make me livid because it will show we haven't learned from prior mistakes

ThatQuietGuy93

Apr 23, 2013
London On
If Kessel is on the team next season, I won't watch. Already seen enough of a gong show centered around that player. In fact, I've already quit watching before Carlyle was canned.

Don't believe what your saying. How can I when you have a Jagr Pittsburgh era DP.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I assume by nothing of significance is down, the OP means none of the core pieces are moved. Only small must moves like trading impending UFA's in Franson, Winnik, and Santorelli.

I would be worried about who is running this organization, if this happens. To come back with this same core. It would be very, very hard to watch games next season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They could just bring back the same team (just shuffle around some bottom 6 guys, as usual) and gun for another top pick. You know, theoretically. Although, that would be painful. I want a team I can cheer for, even if I know that they are not good. This current team, I just can't cheer for.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i'm becoming less optimistic. the time to trade is now, with teams fighting for the playoffs.

if these rumours were true, then i'm a little pissed because imo we should have done them.

fiala, first+ for kessel
richards for phaneuf (if toffoli was the deal killer i would have still done it straight up.)

franson should be traded soon, and at least some of the core (phaneuf, kessel, bozak, kadri, gardiner, reimer), should be gone. our swedish scouts can make great use of prospects beyond the 2nd round so it's not a loss.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I get the sense that MLSE/Shanahan/Nonis want to make this core work. Keep slapping that scotch tape on it and call it a contender for eighth.

They simply blow past every drop dead last resort mark and don't even flinch. The whole organization is on autopilot. The only thing that this front office team does is sign executive paycheques.

yup and the media pundits who's companies carry the games will once again

pronounce them as a playoff bubble team and be wrong for like the 7th straight year.

Either they are truly idiots when it comes to hockey or they are just lying shills for mother company , cuzz ya can't be this wrong for this many years in a row and not have your expertise or ethics questioned,

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
yup and the media pundits who's companies carry the games will once again

pronounce them as a playoff bubble team and be wrong for like the 7th straight year.

Either they are truly idiots when it comes to hockey or they are just lying shills for mother company , cuzz ya can't be this wrong for this many years in a row and not have your expertise or ethics questioned,

Sometimes you get the sense they just want to keep this fanbase on a perpetual cliffhanger to keep Darren Dreger on the six thirty report.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Sometimes you get the sense they just want to keep this fanbase on a perpetual cliffhanger to keep Darren Dreger on the six thirty report.

well they are in a "made for profit" industry afterall

they are not there to enlighten or educate the fan base

they are there to word smith the situation to best support their profit driven agenda.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
First of all - people shouldn't be expecting many big moves before the deadline, period.

A combination of the uncertain Canadian dollar + a perceptively deep draft in June means people will be very hesitant to want to move anything / take on money (not just Toronto, but league wide would be my guess).

Also - while this thing has been an absolute tire fire, outside of the pending UFAs, the Leafs are under no urgency to make moves on their core players. If they don't like what offers are on the table for a Phaneuf or a Kessel or a Bozak or etc., then they don't need to make a move until they get the right offer.

These guys are signed long term - the name of the game here is to be patient, recuperate assets, and have long term vision. Simply blowing up the core for meaningless returns doesn't help this team at all .

Last edited:

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Leaf fans have all the right to complain and more.

We are pretty much the most disappointed most stepped on fans in the league.

We have everything to complain about.. the past future and present.

Will anything change? Nope.

The only hope I have now is somehow we land babcock. Babcock could easily take this years team into the playoffs, couple that with the addition of Strome or Hannifan and we actually might be decent.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The core is retained. Same goalies. Another average coach. Just exchanging some 3rd and 4th liners. AKA another "retool" + a decent draft pick.

I would lose my ****.

I would literally have to put up Lost/Reward Offered posters all over Winnipeg to have even a glimmer of finding my **** it would be so lost.

I can see the core staying intact, possibly, on the basis that IF we are for sure signing Babcock, that we wait for Babcock to come in and determine who stays and who is traded.

That's really the only way I see this core making it to October 2015.

I don't think that's likely as I'm sure there are backroom discussions of some kind or another between Babcock and Shanahan. I just cannot see this team staying pat and signing another ho-hum coach. Even Deboer.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I would lose my ****.

I would literally have to put up Lost/Reward Offered posters all over Winnipeg to have even a glimmer of finding my **** it would be so lost.

I can see the core staying intact, possibly, on the basis that IF we are for sure signing Babcock, that we wait for Babcock to come in and determine who stays and who is traded.

That's really the only way I see this core making it to October 2015.

I don't think that's likely as I'm sure there are backroom discussions of some kind or another between Babcock and Shanahan. I just cannot see this team staying pat and signing another ho-hum coach. Even Deboer.

I highly doubt the core is moved at the deadline or in the offseason, by the "core" I mean Kessel/Phaneuf/Lupul/Kadri/Bernier/JVR/Bozak. Kessel is just making far too much coin, has a NTC and lets face it scoring wingers aren't exactly in high demand these days, I would bet he's back next season. Phaneuf IS a valuable player and would be a boost to pretty much any team, that being said he's overpaid by about 2M and too lengthy of a contract, he MIGHT go in the offseason but don't be looking for a good return if he does. Lupul is a valuable option for teams looking to make a push into the playoffs but his problem is that he still has 2 years left on his contract and is getting worse when it comes to injuries. Kadri is an interesting situation, he's 24 and still within a controlled contract as well he's at the very least a 50-55 2C guy, I think several teams would be interested in him and can see him beign shown the door if he has excessive contract demands. Bernier is likely back barring some team with goaltending injuries looking to overpay, the market just isn't there currently for goaltending. Bozak COULD be dealt, he brings a lot of assets to a team looking to make a push (faceoffs, skating, defensive abilities, can chip in with points), a bit overpaid as a 3C guy but I can see him being dealt. Out of all the guys IMO JVR is the most moveable... he's 24, on a cap friendly 4.25M contract for the next 5 years, is a 30 goal guy who could reach 40, has size teams are looking for.. the question is does Nonis let emotional infatuation get in the way of a good hockey deal? I'll summarize it this way:

Kessel: Back
JVR: Likely back
Bozak: 50/50
Lupul: Likely dealt
Phaneuf: Likely back
Bernier: Back
Kadri: Most likely back

Of the core guys, at most 1-2 are dealt, most of them and maybe all are back for another season.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Maybe we cay boycott Rogers and Bell to send a message. I doubt people would, but that would be the only way we could force change.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Doesn't have to be that- Stop going to games, stop buying anything MLSE related, stop watching any Leafs game.

ratings will continue to go down ,unless the leafs get a marquis player to promote ,like trout in baseball ,or lebron james ,etc i think this generation gets it ,

us chumps are a dying breed and alot of die hards have tuned out ,no doubt rogers / bell know ,they are experts and ratings and trends ,this leafs club may have finally hit bottom ,wel see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad