OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
He was a defensive coordinator in the NFL for 4 years, under Bill Belichek and a DB coach for the Houston Oilers for 2 years under Jerry Glanville. So he's had 8 years coaching in the NFL. Which is plenty for him to know what makes a QB successful and what he might need to improve on.

It might be helpful, but clearly optional, for you to stop looking so deep for ways to discredit any opinion that favors JD. Our entire coaching staff favored him from the get go. Do you disrespect their opinions that much, without even giving them the benefit of finding out if they were correct?
Saban 65-63 as a coordinator and head coach combined.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No, I’m not. That’s not my point. The article basically states that Peters screwed up bc he *never* considered Maye. Which is total BS. Of course he did. And then he decided he wasn’t the guy, and focused on the other 2.
I don’t care about the semantics……..maybe since you’re a big JJ fan you had him 2nd right behind JD, most didn’t (and certainly not all the hardcore DM posters here), even though JJ climbed late.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Saban 65-63 as a coordinator and head coach combined.
OK. 65 wins as an NFL coordinator and head coach -- plus 7 national championships. Sounds like maybe he is qualified to speak about a quarterback's prospects to succeed -- especially given that 6 of his 8 years coaching professionally were oriented greatly around how to stop opposing QBs from tearing apart a D.

I feel even better about that video now, thanks!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They’ll be much better than anyone thinks. The defense alone should get them back to 5-6 wins. If Daniels plays even fairly well that’s other win or two.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
They’ll be much better than anyone thinks. The defense alone should get them back to 5-6 wins. If Daniels plays even fairly well that’s other win or two.
I fully expect this defense -- with a new staff, a new system, and a bunch of new players -- to walk in the door and blow last year's defense off the floor. Which is going to make us all lose our sh*t all over again about just what a dog-sh*t job RR and JDR did last year.

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I can’t believe we’re actually arguing over Saban’s football knowledge. But, I’ll pivot off that - Mike Sainristil was said by Saban to be the best pound-for-pound guy in the draft.

I was reading that a nickel corner is much more valuable than the average fan realizes. Sainristil was drafted specifically to be the “star” in our base defense - nickel, in a 4-2-5 config. The “star” is apparently the key to this D, as they act as a hybrid DB/LB that can play inside or outside.

Given Sainristil’s instincts and leadership skills, we may finally have someone that can coordinate the secondary. That would be refreshing after watching a decade of bumbling blown coverages.

This pick shows how our draft process is in alignment with our coaches’ schemes. Competency, FTW!

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I can’t believe we’re actually arguing over Saban’s football knowledge. But, I’ll pivot off that - Mike Sainristil was said by Saban to be the best pound-for-pound guy in the draft.

I was reading that a nickel corner is much more valuable than the average fan realizes. Sainristil was drafted specifically to be the “star” in our base defense - nickel, in a 4-2-5 config. The “star” is apparently the key to this D, as they act as a hybrid DB/LB that can play inside or outside.

Given Sainristil’s instincts and leadership skills, we may finally have someone that can coordinate the secondary. That would be refreshing after watching a decade of bumbling blown coverages.

This pick shows how our draft process is in alignment with our coaches’ schemes. Competency, FTW!
Where’d you read that if you don’t mind me asking …

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

FWIW, my "what does Saban know about football" was tongue-breaking-through-cheek. I hate 'Bama with every fiber of my being, but, Saban is undeniable.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
On NFL Network, Bucky Brooks has WAS second in the NFCE power rankings out of the draft behind PHI. Likes the "experience" we drafted and "hard-hat" players like Sain & Newton. (D. Jeremiah has us third, w/ DAL second -- says we'll be better in the second half once the rookie QB is settled in.)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Interesting reading the post draft analysis/grades , Peters seems to be a popular guy considering how much praise he got and especially considering how i keep reading he had all these great value picks . The only pick i see that could be termed a great value at the spot was Newton but saying this DeJean who we passed on twice would have been just as good a value pick and also filled a need .

overall i think Peters has done very well building the team as well as the coaching staff along with the HC he hired , the only concern i have is reading how he was targeting more ''experienced players'' in the draft which i really don't think should have weighed that heavily in who we picked , especially at QB

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Debbie downer here ..

Rookie Qb who is going to start day 1
They worst cornerback room in the league (thats a HUGE achillies heal that will effect the other units)
No true pass rusher
LT is a 6th man swing tackle (I love Lucas .. but as 1st man up)
New HC, OC and DC w new schemes and lingo
No Kam Curl
A lot of our FA additions were signed based on potential (Allegretti and Armstrong) and the hope they continue to grow
1 injury to Terry .... and we have the worst WR room in the league
TE room? bottom 5 maybe

Id guess Marriota ends up starting at least 5 games

5 to 7 wins imo as some have said .. rookie QB

I imagine we sound like the Panthers fans last summer

Reactions: Holtbyisms

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Debbie downer here ..

They worst cornerback room in the league (thats a HUGE achillies heal that will effect the other units)
No true pass rusher
No Kam Curl
A lot of our FA additions were signed based on potential (Allegretti and Armstrong) and the hope they continue to grow
TE room? bottom 5 maybe

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Jokes aside, I understand where you’re coming from but I think you’re undervaluing the coaching upgrades as well. They certainly could stink but I doubt we’ll see Quinn standing on the sidelines doing nothing like we did with Ron.

Reactions: Neil Racki

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Debbie downer here ..

No true pass rusher
No Kam Curl
TE room? bottom 5 maybe

You make some good points.

Despite investments at those spots, the OT and DE spots are still weak and those are some of the most important positions in the sport. They've said they like Coleman at tackle, but I don't think he's going to stop you from taking one in the 1st next year. Maybe he ends up being a long term answer at G if they let Cosmi walk or Allegretti doesn't pan out.

I think they really need Dotson and Forbes to take that next step and emerge as dependable starters. If they don't, then they are in real trouble.

No doubt that the coaching will be much improved. However, ideally, you still want to have a top 5 pick next year, especially since it looks like to be a good OT and DE class. You want to be in that range for a Kelvin Banks Jr., Will Campbell, James Pearce Jr., or Mykel Williams

Reactions: Neil Racki

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Interesting reading the post draft analysis/grades , Peters seems to be a popular guy considering how much praise he got and especially considering how i keep reading he had all these great value picks . The only pick i see that could be termed a great value at the spot was Newton but saying this DeJean who we passed on twice would have been just as good a value pick and also filled a need .

overall i think Peters has done very well building the team as well as the coaching staff along with the HC he hired , the only concern i have is reading how he was targeting more ''experienced players'' in the draft which i really don't think should have weighed that heavily in who we picked , especially at QB
Experience was a definite target, but they're also the most athletic draft class, and a bunch were captains and team leaders. The latter smacks of RR, but combined with the first 2 traits, it means these guys should be expected to play. (Certainly the first 3 rounds of picks.)

You're on the record as not liking the Daniels pick, fine, but his experience was an asset, not "the reason" they picked him -- league consensus is he's the second best QB in the draft, and some ranked him first. The offense will be built around him and the team will work from it day 1. Newton seems a bit like a luxury pick, but he immediately gives us a stud to rotate in to keep the interior DL fresh and provide up-the-middle pass-rush, which is critical with patch-work DE, and he gives us roster & payroll flexibility next year. Sainristill is a straight up stud who should start immediately in the slot, and Sinnott is either the best or second best TE in the draft, and can block and catch, unlike the TEs we drafted every effing year in the RR regime.

Coleman is a gamble as 'tweener, but he has experience (that word again) at LT, and that was actually his better position at TCU before the coordinator and scheme got changed before his senior year (you know, the same reason folks didn't want Maye's last year to count against him.)

They looked for players that could get on the field, play meaningful snaps, and start to form the new home-grown core under the tutelage of the veterans they brought in on the short-term deals to rebuild the culture. Commitment to an organizational vision is far from a bad thing.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
You make some good points.

Despite investments at those spots, the OT and DE spots are still weak and those are some of the most important positions in the sport. They've said they like Coleman at tackle, but I don't think he's going to stop you from taking one in the 1st next year. Maybe he ends up being a long term answer at G if they let Cosmi walk or Allegretti doesn't pan out.

I think they really need Dotson and Forbes to take that next step and emerge as dependable starters. If they don't, then they are in real trouble.

No doubt that the coaching will be much improved. However, ideally, you still want to have a top 5 pick next year, especially since it looks like to be a good OT and DE class. You want to be in that range for a Kelvin Banks Jr., Will Campbell, James Pearce Jr., or Mykel Williams
Yeah, if the coaching staff that turned the DAL secondary into the unit they became can't fix Forbes, it's fair to wonder if he's fixable. And if Dotson's a player, KK should be able to make him show it. Hell, maybe KK can even turn D. Brown into a player -- though that may be too much to ask of any mortal man.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Debbie downer here ..

No true pass rusher
No Kam Curl
TE room? bottom 5 maybe

The beauty with our current situation is that would be amazing as long as JD looks good and stays healthy. If he has the goods and our record sucks, we can get another top pick next year and trade down or take a top LT. If the QB box is check marked, we can start stockpiling futures. So much flexibility while he’s on the rookie deal if he is the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad