What if NJ had won the Cup *then* Parise bolted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Parise signed a one year deal, making him a pending UFA the following summer... end of story.

This is what I was told all year in 11-12 after bringing that up.

''He was coming off a major injury, and Lou wasn't going to throw the bank at him before seeing exactly what he could do once he got healthy again''.

Now on the other hand though he gave Zajac an 8 year contract after coming off a big injury. Though you could argue that Zajac played about 30 games between his injury, and the contract. Where Zach played like 1 game.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

''He was coming off a major injury, and Lou wasn't going to throw the bank at him before seeing exactly what he could do once he got healthy again''.

Now on the other hand though he gave Zajac an 8 year contract after coming off a big injury. Though you could argue that Zajac played about 30 games between his injury, and the contract. Where Zach played like 1 game.

The rules of UFA changed dramatically between Parise's contract and Zajac's contract, you can't compare the two.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
whats your reason for the vendetta? (for lack of a better word)...... kovy lead the team last playoffs with a bad back, yet you crucify him.

I believe his play, the way he is handled on the ice and his contract, are overall detrimental to the team.

I believed it the day they traded for him and believe even more so today that I've watched the Devils miss the playoff 2 out of the last 3 years for the first time since the Berlin Wall fell.

I believe when we look back at these years the Kovalchuk trade and UFA signing will mark the end of the 20+ years of success the Devils had.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I believe his play, the way he is handled on the ice and his contract, are overall detrimental to the team.

I believed it the day they traded for him and believe even more so today that I've watched the Devils miss the playoff 2 out of the last 3 years for the first time since the Berlin Wall fell.

I believe when we look back at these years the Kovalchuk trade and UFA signing will mark the end of the 20+ years of success the Devils had.

Obviously this has nothing to do with Brodeur's play deteriorating...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Obviously this has nothing to do with Brodeur's play deteriorating...

Where was Brodeur for these years?

1987-88 New Jersey Lost in round 3
1988-89 New Jersey Out of Playoffs
1989-90 New Jersey Lost in round 1
1990-91 New Jersey Lost in round 1
1991-92 New Jersey Lost in round 1
1992-93 New Jersey Lost in round 1

This was the begining of the success........There was No Brodeur, No Stevens....No Niedermayer. This was team that was built on a philosophy by Lou and happen to find perfect players that fit in and bought into that philosophy.....

and that philosophy has been abandoned.

Last edited:

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011

That very well could be the case. However, there are a lot more factors than just the Kovalchuk trade/signing that have changed this team in a short amount of time.

I know you're not saying this is the only reason for the end of an era, but yeah, it's obviously more complicated than just Kovalchuk. I can definitely see this event being one of two things. It could end up being the end of the successful Devils years, or the start of a transitional period where there's a decent roster turnover and re-tooling for another run at a successful stretch.

Regardless, there's gonna be a lot of changes coming in the next few years, and Kovalchuk is (un)*fortunately going to be a part of the core going forward.

* depending on your stance concerning Kovy

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The rules of UFA changed dramatically between Parise's contract and Zajac's contract, you can't compare the two.

The point is that the one year contract probably signaled the end of Parise as a Devil.

And LOL at feed me a stray stat. He's got it out for Brodeur as much as Jim does for Kovy.

Didn't Brodeur play on a cup finalist last year?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That very well could be the case. However, there are a lot more factors than just the Kovalchuk trade/signing that have changed this team in a short amount of time.

I know you're not saying this is the only reason for the end of an era, but yeah, it's obviously more complicated than just Kovalchuk. I can definitely see this event being one of two things. It could end up being the end of the successful Devils years, or the start of a transitional period where there's a decent roster turnover and re-tooling for another run at a successful stretch.

Regardless, there's gonna be a lot of changes coming in the next few years, and Kovalchuk is (un)*fortunately going to be a part of the core going forward.

* depending on your stance concerning Kovy

Sure...

But the penalty for circumvention and the icing of an incomplete team in the fall of 2010...The forfeiture of the 1st rounder next year...The not giving up the 1st rounder last year, the Parise situation put on hold in his prior RFA year only because of money issues, an unusually large turn over in players from 2010 to 2011 that led to much of the problems in early 2010-11 season under MacLean ...

So many issue that all begin with the Kovalchuk contract or have a distant relationship to that contract... and all have been negative.

One thing that just can't be argued is these exact events will shape the team for the next 5 years and maybe beyond...So far little good has come from it.

njdevilsownnhl*

You're delusional if you don't think Parise makes this team better. Did you see the forward group we had this year?

The only thing Parise would make this team better at is choking in the first round if Kovalchuk can't carry his garbage play. Lou could have replaced him and didn't for whatever reason. Replacing Parise's playoff numbers isn't difficult, just sign Horton or Ryder. They won't cost 7.5 million and aren't invisible in the playoffs. I'm done arguing. These are the same people who don't want Zidlicky back when offense from our defense is our biggest weakness. It's no surprise we went on the run we did when we finally got some help from the back end on offense.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The only thing Parise would make this team better at is choking in the first round if Kovalchuk can't carry his garbage play. Lou could have replaced him and didn't for whatever reason. Replacing Parise's playoff numbers isn't difficult, just sign Horton or Ryder. They won't cost 7.5 million and aren't invisible in the playoffs. I'm done arguing. These are the same people who don't want Zidlicky back when offense from our defense is our biggest weakness. It's no surprise we went on the run we did when we finally got some help from the back end on offense.

you do realize that we iced essentially the same team as last year, minus Parise, right?

njdevilsownnhl*

you do realize that we iced essentially the same team as last year, minus Parise, right?

And Kovalchuk carried the team. What is your point? It sure as hell wasn't Parise that guided the team with all his empty netters. If kovalchuk couldn't carry the team again, they wouldn't have gone anywhere.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
every time you cheer for kovy, you’re punching randy mckay in the gonads. remember that, folks.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Im not even touching this anymore. Its the same circles we've already ran in before yet continue to rehash it.

The team absolutely misses him, but he sucks ballzz in the playoffs and is essentially a 60pt player at this point in his career. 12/11/11/9/9/9/9/9 Mill over the next 8 years.....no thanks. I would LOVE him back on about a 6-7 year deal.

When his speed deteriorates its not to going to be pretty given how craptastic his shot is.

Most of my friends live in Minneapolis and the texts I've received have ranged from "you can have him back" to "is this how he always is in the playoffs?"

His decision to leave hurts BOTH parties involved.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

At least we would have made the playoffs, or did you forget we tied for 12th place this year?

We wouldn't need Parise to be "the guy". He's a top 6 forward, and that's our area of weakness.

I'm not a fan of his contract, but he'd clearly be an upgrade to this team.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
I actually have no animosity towards him at all. He was a UFA decided he wanted to go home to Minnesota. It's his decision and he certainly didn't try to pull any fast ones on us or do something unethical like Heatley did to Ottawa.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I got so much flack when Zach signed that one year deal cause I kept saying that he was a goner at the end of the year, regardless if we went 82-0 during the regular season and 16-0 during the post season.

You don't gamble your career by signing a one year deal when you can rack in all kinds of coin that same summer cause injuries can happen and if you're left with a one year deal only to suffer a career ending injury, you'd be laughing stock of the league for not taking the keys to the safe when they were offered.

Oh well, I guess the majority didn't want to think about losing Zach, so they made up "excuses" as to why Lou wouldn't sign him long term cause of the injury.

The bottom line is that if you have a "franchise" player you can lock up long term, you don't offer the guy a one year deal that will see him enter free agency status the following year.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I actually have no animosity towards him at all. He was a UFA decided he wanted to go home to Minnesota. It's his decision and he certainly didn't try to pull any fast ones on us or do something unethical like Heatley did to Ottawa.

Yes he did. He led every fan on. He told fans, fans who came out to greet the Devils and cheer for them when they just lost the SCF to "not worry" when those same fans where chanting "Don't Go Zach". He said in interviews AFTER he bolted for his paycheck that he talked to Suter about playing together before the 2012 season. BEFORE HAND and as a TEAM CAPTAIN.

I'm sorry that was bush league. I might be indifferent to him now because he made his Dwayne Wade/Chris Bosh decision with Suter already and there is nothing we can do about that now but the way he went about things was pathetic. Does no one remember the TSN interview?

I know Devils fans hate on Gomez but at least he made it no secret that he was leaving the Devils to get his fat paycheck. Parise played us all.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Yes he did. He led every fan on. He told fans, fans who came out to greet the Devils and cheer for them when they just lost the SCF to "not worry" when those same fans where chanting "Don't Go Zach". He said in interviews AFTER he bolted for his paycheck that he talked to Suter about playing together before the 2012 season. BEFORE HAND and as a TEAM CAPTAIN.

I'm sorry that was bush league. I might be indifferent to him now because he made his Dwayne Wade/Chris Bosh decision with Suter already and there is nothing we can do about that now but the way he went about things was pathetic. Does no one remember the TSN interview?

I know Devils fans hate on Gomez but at least he made it no secret that he was leaving the Devils to get his fat paycheck. Parise played us all.

Haha, damn the jilted lover analogy gets better by the post.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha, damn the jilted lover analogy gets better by the post.

Say what you want, and spin it however you want. He did act like he was going to be back though. More more than Elias, and Clarkson have to this point.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
every time you cheer for kovy, you’re punching randy mckay in the gonads. remember that, folks.

Lol. You win 1st prize. :laugh:

I think this thread might've been the ultimate troll job. Has the thread starter even been back in?

No ones even answering the question asked anymore. Just rehashing Parise vs Kovy. :laugh: oh you guys.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Lol. You win 1st prize. :laugh:

I think this thread might've been the ultimate troll job. Has the thread starter even been back in?

No ones even answering the question asked anymore. Just rehashing Parise vs Kovy. :laugh: oh you guys.

Pros X VS antis Y and some people lost somewhere in the middle.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd still think he was a money grubbing ass...but this awful season would of been easier to swallow as this year when of just been the Marty victory tour season. Now we need Lou to pull magic out of a hat so Marty can try one more time for 4.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

That's why I tried to blow it up on the first page...This was inevitable.

And if the intent was a troll...I tip my hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad