What If Anything do the Isles do about Goaltending???

scott99

May 13, 2005
I know its early in the season, we all have questions about Nabby, Poulin and Nilsson.

Where do the Isles go in regards to goaltending?

Unfortunately, unless we make a trade, we are stuck in this situation for the season. HOPEFULLY next offseason, the Isles will spend a penny or two to get a decent goalie in FA. I think Khudobin only signed a 1 year contract, I think he'd be perfect for the Isles.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
No way they do anything. Nabby's numbers are average. Even if they were horrible we probably wouldnt do anything. Cappy didnt sound happy about it though.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
In the short-term, have Poulin make more starts. If Poulin can step up, problem solved. If not, then think long-term and try to find a solution via trade (this should've been done during the off-season).

Will any of that happen? I doubt it.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
No way they do anything. Nabby's numbers are average. Even if they were horrible we probably wouldnt do anything. Cappy didnt sound happy about it though.

And yet, he keeps trotting him out there, just as he always does with players that aren't cutting the mustard.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I wouldn't worry about questionable goaltending when our D will hang EVERY goalie out to dry, regardless of ability.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
The time to do something was over the summer when there were a few quality goalies available. Trading for Halak or Hiller would have been nice, signing Khudobin/Greiss as a backup would have helped. Same with signing Bryzgalov/Emery as a 1B to go with Nabokov. Instead, we did nothing. I have been a Snow supporter, but if we miss the playoffs because of poor goaltending it will be completely on his head.

Now, I don't see Snow making a move until closer to the deadline when he may bring in a backup if Poulin struggles. He made his choice and I don't see him changing gears.

This offseason, with Khudobin/Halak/Hiller/Miller/Lundqvist we better see a big-time upgrade.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I wouldn't worry about questionable goaltending when our D will hang EVERY goalie out to dry, regardless of ability.

This is true, however we dont get away with a single defensive lapse. Every single one ends with a goal.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I think last night was the first loss this season that I would put on the shoulders of Nabby.

I agree, but he hasn't exactly what been what I'd call "solid" either. Poulin should be playing 1 out of 4 games unless Nabby is completely lights out. It would help keep Nabby rested and give Poulin an ample amount of playing time to show what he can do.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think last night was the first loss this season that I would put on the shoulders of Nabby.

True, but how many games would you say we have won because of him?

Nabokov is really best suited to be a backup at this point. You hope he will keep you in games, you don't expect him to win them for you. If you want to not only make the playoffs but compete, you need a goalie capable of stealing a few.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
I have the solution! Let's trade Nino + 1st + mid level prospect for Johnathan Bern..... Oh wait. :banghead:

This could/should have been addressed in the offseason. We all saw this coming. Some will say that's overpayment but goaltending is the most important position in hockey. Going into the season with this tandem was like walking into a fire wearing a gasoline suit.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I have the solution! Let's trade Nino + 1st + mid level prospect for Johnathan Bern..... Oh wait. :banghead:

This could/should have been addressed in the offseason. We all saw this coming. Some will say that's overpayment but goaltending is the most important position in hockey. Going into the season with this tandem was like walking into a fire wearing a gasoline suit.

I'm right there with ya leading the Bernier bandwagon. I wanted him so ****ing bad and now he's playing great for the Leafs instead of the Islanders for the next 10 years.

But it's fine cause we got Clutterbuck for Nino....

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm right there with ya leading the Bernier bandwagon. I wanted him so ****ing bad and now he's playing great for the Leafs instead of the Islanders for the next 10 years.

But it's fine cause we got Clutterbuck for Nino....

Unfortunately, Nino killed his value by going to the press with his trade requests and frustrations. Had that been kept in house, his value may have been high enough to package with other assets for Bernier (or Schneider). Clutterbuck was probably the best Snow could get for him and it was obvious Nino didn't want to play here. That's one non-deal I don't blame Snow at all on. However, not signing Khudobin for a one year trial deal was a mistake this summer.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
Unfortunately, Nino killed his value by going to the press with his trade requests and frustrations. Had that been kept in house, his value may have been high enough to package with other assets for Bernier (or Schneider). Clutterbuck was probably the best Snow could get for him and it was obvious Nino didn't want to play here. That's one non-deal I don't blame Snow at all on. However, not signing Khudobin for a one year trial deal was a mistake this summer.

Spot on. Nino killed his trade value, and we should have taken a low risk/high reward chance with Khudobin.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
They'll live with Nabokov for now, then sign Miller/Hiller/Halak in the offseason. I swear though if Garth goes out and gets Jonas Gustavsson and calls him the starter I'm going to be pissed.

I really don't want Dubnyk but if he signs here I'll be content but not thrilled.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Poulin has to step up and force their hand into playing them more. If that doesn't happen I say sign Bryz to a one year deal. Your going to get a guy who's determined to prove everyone wrong and you won't see any **** from. Hell I'm not even sure he was a bad guy in Philly and it was just the media that tore him apart.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
They'll live with Nabokov for now, then sign Miller/Hiller/Halak in the offseason. I swear though if Garth goes out and gets Jonas Gustavsson and calls him the starter I'm going to be pissed.

I really don't want Dubnyk but if he signs here I'll be content but not thrilled.

Dubnyk can't be trusted to be a surefire #1. He can have games where he looks good and games where he looks like DP on his worst day. He's way too inconsistent. And with our putrid D in front of him (really no different than what he has in Edmonton), the results will not be pretty. Might as well just give Poulin the reigns at that point.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Bringing in Khudobin could have been very high risk. We have no idea if he'd be able to handle a starting job in the NHL. I wanted him too, but to say he was low-risk is kind of wrong.

Completely disagree. Khudobin is better than Poulin. No risk at all.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I desperately want another goalie as well. But, with a defense like this, no goalie wants to be here. We have possibly one of the worst defenses in the league. It's horrid.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Dubnyk can't be trusted to be a surefire #1. He can have games where he looks good and games where he looks like DP on his worst day. He's way too inconsistent. And with our putrid D in front of him (really no different than what he has in Edmonton), the results will not be pretty. Might as well just give Poulin the reigns at that point.

Well, yeah agreed. Obviously I'd rather go after Miller/Hiller/Halak. Dubnyk would not be one of my first choices.

Completely disagree. Khudobin is better than Poulin. No risk at all.

You can't say there was no risk at all. The guy has never been an NHL starter. Do you think Karri Ramo has/had no risk for the Flames? He's never been a starter either, he could have easily flopped this year.

I'll agree that he's better than Poulin, but if we were to sign Khudobin I still would want Nabokov here.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I think we blew it last year after not going after Bernier, or Schneider. I knew Nabby would be a decent stop gap, but I'm not sold on Poulin, and Nillson being a future tandem. They both have potential, but right now I'm seeing them as wade flaharity and Stephan valquette.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

You know that Nabby is 33rd out of 45 in save % this season so far? Thta's not quite 'average', now is it? And he was 27th last season out of 50 (that's counting backups), so he wasn't average last season either for starting goalies.

He's bad.

This is true, however we dont get away with a single defensive lapse. Every single one ends with a goal.

That's the point. A better goalie can bail out the team on his own in a few of these instances, instead we're stuck with Nabby who lets in every defensive breakdown. If he makes one ore two of these saves (that really aren't terribly difficult), the games change tremendously.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Ideally I would like to see Garth trade for Miller, but I'm sure Buffalo's still asking for way too much in return. Bringing in Bryz is an interesting option, I feel like he'd be much better here than in Philly (which is where a goalie's career goes to die) but we won't know if that's the case until it's too late. In the meantime I want to see more of Poulin, he looked good in the game he started... don't care what the stats say, Nabby's softies are killing these guys.

Not sure why some are still beating the "Khudobin as a savior" drum, clearly no GM feels this way about him as evidenced by his signing as a backup for peanuts in Carolina. That isn't to say I don't think he could emerge as a quality starter, but at this stage it seems more like a case of HF group-think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad