What If Anything do the Isles do about Goaltending???

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
No goalie will succeed behind this defense.

That's a cop out, Nabby has given up some horrible goals, and it cost us big last night. Put Halak in, an arguable average 11-20 goalie in the league, and we have five wins instead of three.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
That's a cop out, Nabby has given up some horrible goals, and it cost us big last night. Put Halak in, an arguable average 11-20 goalie in the league, and we have five wins instead of three.

Completely agree here. Nabby lets in so many soft goals, it really kills the teams momentum and confidence. He has been awful outside of the first couple of games. A good goaltender makes up for a lot of mistakes the defense makes, and I can't say Nabby does that. To many fans here settle for mediocracy, whether its from the forwards, defense, goaltending, or management. Things need to change, and a good goaltender would make this team much better.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
I'm confused why everyone, even seemingly Isles management does not think Poulin is an NHL goalie, if thats the case then why is he even the backup and why is he not at Bridgeport? It seems to me either Garth or Jack is not sold on Poulin given the fact he gets so few starts, to me this is the time to figure out what you may have with him, start him every 3-4 games and if by January 1st if he's posting good numbers you consider making him the #1 goalie.

I was thinking about this the other night.
If the Isles think Poulin is the go to guy, would it make sense for him to ride the pine in the NHL or play in the AHL?

To me, it would be play.

So, to me at least, this means the Isles think Nillson is their guy since they are giving him playing time.

No goalie will succeed behind this defense. We give up too many big play/back door attemps. Sure Nabby's play cost us last night but I don't think we'd be sitting at 7-2 or 6-3 with a better goalie.

I would really like to see Poulin get a few starts to see if he can put together a string of "successful' games. IE, bailing the D and LAZY forwards out in the defensive zone. He's been healthy for over a year now and maybe he'll bounce back to his pre injury form.

I wonder what the Isles D will look like next year.
Griffin is pretty much a lock for next year.
Cavlin? Maybe?
Mayfield?
Who else?

But, that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Point is, with eager young kids with something to prove, perhaps the D will be a tad bit more solid - perhaps

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I definitely think we are going to start seeing some more Poulin starts in the near future, regardless of these back to backs.

I also agree that Nabby has let in some soft goals but he's also stood on his head just as many times. The Van loss was really the first one where I have to blame him, but can't take away the fact that our defense is ridonkulous and adds to it as well.

Poulin has a chance to let management know what they are dealing with. Can he be the starter of the future or will we still be clamoring to fill yet another blatant hole in the roster.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
True, but how many games would you say we have won because of him?

Nabokov is really best suited to be a backup at this point. You hope he will keep you in games, you don't expect him to win them for you. If you want to not only make the playoffs but compete, you need a goalie capable of stealing a few.

Exactly. The islanders especially need a good goalie because they ask a lot of them. They activate their d into the rush a lot and that results in giving up chances.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Nabokov has been consistently below average or outright bad in his last 10-12 games going back to the playoffs.

The time has simply arrived to give Poulin some consecutive starts in goal. It is the smartest most simple, common sense approach to make at this point. Let's see what he has.

Same theory that supposedly applies to players on the ice should also apply in goal. You have to earn the opportunity to play or keep to your job.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
staple has already said that they're going to play the season with nabokov then try to get at starter in the offseason

last night and maybe the game before are really the only games i'd blame nabby on. i still don't understand why poulin doesn't get another start...

Snowang painted itself into a corner. They don't trust Poulin for the same reasons many of us don't trust Poulin. How funny will it be when Nabby is completely burnt out, and then they have to go to Poulin, and he bombs, and they have no where else to turn? Going 3-3-3 will feel like winning the Stanley Cup when that disaster strikes.

I know I will be laughing my butt off while I put my foot through the tv because no one, especially none of us, saw the train heading towards the washed out bridge months ahead of time. (A well deserved hat tip to Dan-O who preached about this).

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Snowang painted itself into a corner. They don't trust Poulin for the same reasons many of us don't trust Poulin. How funny will it be when Nabby is completely burnt out, and then they have to go to Poulin, and he bombs, and they have no where else to turn? Going 3-3-3 will feel like winning the Stanley Cup when that disaster strikes.

I know I will be laughing my butt off while I put my foot through the tv because no one, especially none of us, saw the train heading towards the washed out bridge months ahead of time. (A well deserved hat tip to Dan-O who preached about this).

This post made me laugh..even though it shouldn't be funny at all lol maybe I went off the deep end with this team idk. Either way I couldn't agree more with your post.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

I think a ton of us saw it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think a ton of us saw it.

LOL, it was sarcasm WN. Just about all of us saw it to some degree.

This team's way of reacting to real problems is to stand up and scream," QUICK! HURRY UP AND DO NOTHING!!!1! Now buy season tickets please."

And yes hiring Regin and PMB is pretty much doing nothing.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
LOL, it was sarcasm WN. Just about all of us saw it to some degree.

This team's way of reacting to real problems is to stand up and scream," QUICK! HURRY UP AND DO NOTHING!!!1! Now buy season tickets please."

And yes hiring Regin and PMB is pretty much doing nothing.

Lol whoops

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009

dan-o really went out on a limb by saying a 38 year old goaltender might get worse. he was still the best option ***FREE AGENCY*** had to give.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
dan-o really went out on a limb by saying a 38 year old goaltender might get worse. he was still the best option ***FREE AGENCY*** had to give.

Not improving the team through trade, including at net shows that Snow has no desire to take risks. I'm sorry, but I cannot believe that Matt frigging Frattin was an impossible barrier. Come on.

As for free agency, Snow easily could have acquired a legitimate backup, he just didn't.

This is the league's most underrated GM at work.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I love Nabby but we need an upgrade in goal.

its Obvious Poulin is not ready, and he may never be.

we have our core hitting their stride and its time to add a few pieces.

maybe Nino did force the isles hands a little but i think a good GM would have gotten something better than Clutterbuck.
Clutterbuck is playing a lot better but he did not fill any of our needs.

we need a winger on the tavares line, we need a couple of Defensemen and we need a goalie.

Garth has failed, whether it was because of wang or not.

yes we have drafted pretty well and yes he has gotten us some steals on the waiver wire, but that well has run dry and here is where he will be tested.
get this team the personnel it needs to win either free agency or a trade.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
how long is koskinen's contract in the khl? He may be a candidate for TC next season if his stellar play overseas continues.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Not improving the team through trade, including at net shows that Snow has no desire to take risks. I'm sorry, but I cannot believe that Matt frigging Frattin was an impossible barrier. Come on.
It was Frattin, with salary retained, plus a backup goalie, which we all know the Isles don't have (see below).

As for free agency, Snow easily could have acquired a legitimate backup, he just didn't.

This was the real problem. If Nabokov was the best starter available, bring in Khudobin or Greiss both young, proven backups. The Isles should have been an attractive fit, with a 38 year old goalie signed to a 1-year deal as the starter there would obviously be lots of room for a good backup to prove themself. Instead, they both went to teams with a proven starter signed to a long-term deal.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
It seems pretty obvious that the Isles are not gonna make a move for a goalie until the season. Unless Miller would agree to an extension. Miller isn't that young though.

What I don't get? Why Nabokov is the starter over Poulin?

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
It was Frattin, with salary retained, plus a backup goalie, which we all know the Isles don't have (see below).

Yeah, yeah yeah. Matt Frattin, a backup goalie, and 450K were hills too steep for Snowang to climb. Whatever.

That's why we lose.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
It seems pretty obvious that the Isles are not gonna make a move for a goalie until the season. Unless Miller would agree to an extension. Miller isn't that young though.

What I don't get? Why Nabokov is the starter over Poulin?

Here is why, this version of Nabby is 110% (and thats not good) better than a post knee injury Poulin. IMO Poulin, flops, is nervous, and lacks confidence and rebound control in net. The BHawks should have ripped the Isles apart in that game.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Here is why, this version of Nabby is 110% (and thats not good) better than a post knee injury Poulin. IMO Poulin, flops, is nervous, and lacks confidence and rebound control in net. The BHawks should have ripped the Isles apart in that game.

i agree with you that nabby is better than poulin right now but when you say flops and lacks rebound control, you very well could be talking about nabokov...just add in the weak glove hand and you have nabbys scouting report

poulin, while he didnt look "elite" versus CHI, did look very good and had his best start in some time (possibly ever?)

as others have said, either make a trade (not gonna happen, as much as i wish it would) or give poulin 20-22 games over the rest of the year to see what he has, and obviously more if he deserves it

sidenote, what do you think it would take right now to get halak? could he be had for de haan and a 2nd, or do you think it would definitely take a first

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Poulin has to step up and force their hand into playing them more. If that doesn't happen I say sign Bryz to a one year deal. Your going to get a guy who's determined to prove everyone wrong and you won't see any **** from. Hell I'm not even sure he was a bad guy in Philly and it was just the media that tore him apart.

No thanks. Bryz is one of the most careless Hockey players I've seen in the NHL, he is funny but he does NOT have the attitude to cut it in this league and in just about any locker room.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Well at this point what can this team do?

1. Trade for Miller

2. Trade for Hiller

3. Trade for Halak

4. Maybe this team will trade for defense to help Nabby out?

I still think this team wants to see what Poulin has. The only way to do this is to unleash the beast and let him play! If Poulin faulters they could sign Bryz (if he even wants to come here to play). This is another reason why we should have seen what we could have had in Big Griff this season. Even for only 5 games we could have known if he was better than Carkner.

I'm sick of Nabby already. He cost us the NSH game as well as this last one. He won us the Devils game in the shootout, but where else has he came up big?

you don't trade for Miller IMO he is going to be a Free Agent.
the stuff required via trade are going to high for a free agent.
I like the other guys. However i think our best plan would be to sign Bryz for 2 maybe 3 years on a decent deal. take the stuff you wanted to trade for a goalie and grab a D man

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

While i agree with you. you never know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad