Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

bouquet

Mar 30, 2014
Québec
Many fear that because Desharnais has little or no market value that we should keep him and trade Eller or Plekanec, which seems questionable reasoning.
some are lacking confidence in Bergevin. What a nightmare this forum would be if the mighty Lars would be traded.:laugh:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Who are these "Many"?

Oops meant "Many feel" not "fear" -- I've seen this argument here: that if we have a surplus of centres then we should trade Plekanec or Eller because the return would be better than if we ship Desharnais for next to nothing.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Many fear that because Desharnais has little or no market value that we should keep him and trade Eller or Plekanec, which seems questionable reasoning.

Market value is irrelevant.

What's matter is how useful the player you send away is to your team versus how useful the asset(s) you get in return would/should be for your team.

The real question is: How useful DD is to the Habs if he doesn't play with Max (or on the top6)?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Oops meant "Many feel" not "fear" -- I've seen this argument here: that if we have a surplus of centres then we should trade Plekanec or Eller because the return would be better than if we ship Desharnais for next to nothing.

I disagree about this being 'many'.

That being said, trading Eller for say Ovechkin vs trading DD for say a 7th rounder I'd rather have DD+Ovechkin than Eller+7th rounder obviously. However, such a scenario is unlikely. I can't imagine any logical trade would have people siding on keeping DD based on the return for Eller.

You have almost 22k posts here and you're the one asking this question? Dude, you're kidding?

You're totally ****ing with us, right?

I'm not. I don't see how there's "many" who feel this way.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
There's no point in trying to predict the future during the season as so many things change.

Andrighetto's only played 1 game and because he scored people are ready to give him a spot. I'm a fan of his but it will take some time to see if he's ready.

Having said that, if Andrighetto, Hudon and Bournival get significant time when there are injuries, and are impressive, this could push lazy/unproducing vets like Desharnais, Parenteau and Prust out of the lineup.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Hopefully something like:

Pac - Chucky - Gally
Ghetto - Plek - PAP
Sekac - Eller - Prust
Bourni - Manny - Weise
V
V
Press Box
V
V
Hamilton
V
V
Wheeling Nailers
V
V
V
V
Peewee AA
12 year old LW - Desharnais - 13 year old RW

Fixed that for you.

In all seriousness though, DD probably goes back up to the first line to join Pacioretty and the habs continue their subpar play.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Andrighetto- Plekanec-Sekac
Bournival-Eller-Parenteau
Prust-Malholtra-Weise

This, i don't see where DD can fit.

i think we have a winner

Praying-cat.jpg

Nynja*

No one knows how long Eller is out for, and people already worrying about what happens when he's back.

It's something I'd worry about 2 weeks before he's due to be back. If he's out for 3-4 months, why worry about March/April? Worry about December/January/Febuary instead. If the habs from here on out play .700+++ hockey with the lines as projected (Pens are playing .722 for comparison, so I'm setting the bar pretty high) with advanced stats backing up the wins , sorry to Lars, but I wouldnt change anything. I'm pretty sure even MB would sit him down and say "look, the team is playing amazing, everything is clicking, we're not in any position to change anything. You're an integral part of the teams future, thats why I signed you long term, but as long as the team is playing like this, theres no reason to change anything".

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
^^^^^^^^^^^^�������������������������

rofl

Nynja*

Not sure whats so funny about that?

My situation is obviously hypothetical, but the fact you'd suggest tampering with a lineup thats playing .750 hockey with advanced stats to back it up, just because Eller is out and DD is in, talk about blinding hatred.

The above has nothing to do with Eller having a greater skillset than DD, but at that point, if that happened, you're suggesting tweaking something thats not broken.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

My situation is obviously hypothetical, but the fact you'd suggest tampering with a lineup thats playing .750 hockey with advanced stats to back it up, just because Eller is out and DD is in, talk about blinding hatred.

The above has nothing to do with Eller having a greater skillset than DD, but at that point, if that happened, you're suggesting tweaking something thats not broken.

think that's why poster laughed ;)

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
I like how you think but your conclusion is incorrect
There is definitely a spot for DD somewhere
He can be on any of our ECHL/AHL teams
Providing that Galchenyuk at center works out of course
If not then DD is once again anointed 1C status cuz we aint got no one better

Didn't include those options :laugh::laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Market value is irrelevant.

What's matter is how useful the player you send away is to your team versus how useful the asset(s) you get in return would/should be for your team.

The real question is: How useful DD is to the Habs if he doesn't play with Max (or on the top6)?

... Well that's kindof what we're about to see?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Say that Eller comes back in 2 months, and that in these two months, Desharnais plays 21 games, gets, say, 3 goals and 10 assists, have positive advanced stats, and is used like 3rd centers are normally used (not that much PP time), with the possible exception of zone deployments.

Meanwhile, in those 21 games, the team go 14-4-2-1.

DD will absolutely keep his spot in the lineup and Eller... well, will be there somewhere, but not in his Center spot. At least I hope so. Because in that situation, it would mean that our Top-3 centers are likely playing well.

If the team goes 8-11-0-3...

DD will probably REGAIN his old spot in the lineup, while Lars Eller will take his old 3rd C spot, because if he posts the numbers above, and the team doesn't get good results and Carey Price isn't otherwise crapping the bad, it would mean that the guys above him on the depth chart aren't playing like they should be playing.

Of course, if Desharnais as the 3rd line C is average or worst (and Galchenyuk is otherwise good), well, Eller regains his old spot and DD will have to duke it out at wing. Galchenyuk might also be moved back to wing for Eller when Eller comes back. Wouldn't exactly be a productive move, but that's possible if that's what makes the team better.

Underlined : Actually, in that case, Eller would probably replace Galchenyuk in the Top-6.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Sorry Bud,
I couldn't help myself.
The win rate was one thing the analytics another but the Sorry Mr. Eller brought it out.
A player who has played second fiddle to DD forever now being told he can't have his 3rd line spot back.
Trade me very much would be his response. :nod:

PricePkPatch*

Sorry Bud,
I couldn't help myself.
The win rate was one thing the analytics another but the Sorry Mr. Eller brought it out.
A player who has played second fiddle to DD forever now being told he can't have his 3rd line spot back.
Trade me very much would be his response. :nod:

If we have a strong record with our lineup, then yhea. Eller will wait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad