Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
Assuming Therriens new line combos stick

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Andrighetto- Plekanec-Sekac
Bournival-Desharnais-Parenteau
Prust-Malholtra-Weise

If Eller is ok and coming back soon, what should Therrien do?

Is Andrighetto sent back? Is Bournival going to be scratched? Do you keep Galchenyuk at centre?

I'm really excited the coach finally decided to change the lines. Finally looking forward to watching games again. The old combos really became unbearable. Actually it was the golden duo that was annoying the crap out of me. I was ok with the other lines. We finally will get to see what some of our guys have with Desharnais off the top line.

*this is not a Desharnais bashing thread. I'm happy he's also getting a shot to reinvent himself as a player in a new role. I would like to see him succeed, and we should all as fans. His role was not meant for him, I dont blame him for the decisions of the coach.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I don't think we'll have to worry for a while. Prolonged updates during injuries usually means bad news. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's out 3-4 months.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Bournival-Eller-Parenteau
Prust-Malholtra-Weise

This, i don't see where DD can fit.

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto

Prust-Malholtra-Weise

Is Andrighetto sent back? Is Bournival going to be scratched? Do you keep Galchenyuk at centre?

I'm really excited the coach finally decided to change the lines. Finally looking forward to watching games again. The old combos really became unbearable. Actually it was the golden duo that was annoying the crap out of me. I was ok with the other lines. We finally will get to see what some of our guys have with Desharnais off the top line.

*this is not a Desharnais bashing thread. I'm happy he's also getting a shot to reinvent himself as a player in a new role. I would like to see him succeed, and we should all as fans. His role was not meant for him, I dont blame him for the decisions of the coach.

I actually would put Chucky on the second line for now... He's still young and you wanna ease him in. I'd do something like :

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Parenteau
Andrighetto - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Eller - Sekac
Bournival - Malholtra - Weise

DD in the press box.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
We are talking about MT here... You should be worried about the line combos lasting more than one period not about Eller coming back or not.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
The thing is that even if Galchenyuk is taken off that line, we know that this is his spot in the near future. Should Desharnais be placed on the 2nd line? No, Plekanec is a better 2nd line centre than him. Should he be placed on the 3rd line? No, Eller is a better 3rd centre than him. 4th line? No, he shouldn't ever play on a 4th line. And he can't play wing. And even if he could I don't want that type of player as a top 6 or even top 9 winger. Which spot does it leave him with? None.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hopefully something like:

Pac - Chucky - Gally
Ghetto - Plek - PAP
Sekac - Eller - Prust
DD/Bourni - Manny - Weise

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
By that time we will likely have other injuries.

Eller might play on a line with Hudon and Bowman.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Prust-Malholtra-Weise

Too much will happen between now and Eller's return.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Which raises a question though :

Everybody wants a two-way player for the first and the second lines to handle tough matchups, and our 4th line C is Manny Malhotra.

In that situation, what is the problem with the 3rd C (say, DD, for the sake of the example) NOT being a 2-way player?

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Everybody wants a two-way player for the first and the second lines to handle tough matchups, and our 4th line C is Manny Malhotra.

In that situation, what is the problem with the 3rd C (say, DD, for the sake of the example) NOT being a 2-way player?

Manny is an elite face-off taker and can play in the PK and we have a player (Eller) who can play 2 way. Why would we want DD on the third line ?

Also, Galchy is the first center, he's not two-way player, not yet.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

More versatile players decrease team vulnerability to injuries.

Further, I think people want Galchenyuk to get tge easy minutes not the two way minutes, at least for this year.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Further, I think people want Galchenyuk to get tge easy minutes not the two way minutes, at least for this year.

Until Eller comes back, Galchenyuk will have no choice but to play relatively tough 2way minutes.

DD-Parenteau is purely an exploitation line.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Manny is an elite face-off taker and can play in the PK and we have a player (Eller) who can play 2 way. Why would we want DD on the third line ?

Also, Galchy is the first center, he's not two-way player, not yet.

Point taken. Maybe this thread wasn't the right one to ask such a question.

I mean, obviously, you want 12 2-way players in your lineup if you can.

My point was more in relation to the fact that the 3rd C NEEDS to be very good defensively (or better than that). That's understandable in theory (because you want safe play from your bottom-6, usually), but if your centers #1 and #2 are great defensively (say, for example, that our #1 and #2 are respectively Patrice Bergeron and Jonathan Toews; why on Earth do you absolutely want a player who's very good defensively on the 3rd line?)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Until Eller comes back, Galchenyuk will have no choice but to play relatively tough 2way minutes.

It's also an ill-conceived duo IMO, who is made look worse by the fact their LW doesn't exactly have good hands.

Still, I think the idea is to try things at this point. Exactly what the early part of the regular season should be about. DD/Parenteau could work, I just don't like this duo that much.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007

Not sure about that. Or at least the DD-PAP line will have less ozone starts than when DD was with Max. It'll probably be closer to 50% than 65. I just think putting Bournival on that line is a tip-off they want to make it more of a two-way line.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If Eller is back soon...
Well, the easy answer is Ghetto sent down, Eller and Desharnais play either 2LW or 3C.

I think Ghetto deserves a longer look than, say, 5 games though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not sure about that. Or at least the DD-PAP line will have less ozone starts than when DD was with Max. It'll probably be closer to 50% than 65. I just think putting Bournival on that line is a tip-off they want to make it more of a two-way line.

Actually, I think their OZS proportion might be similar, if only because they'll get LESS starts.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Prust-Malholtra-Weise

When Eller comes back, he becomes a top-6 center, and Bournival, Andrighetto and Weise fight for one spot on the third line and one spot on the fourth line.

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Sekac
Andrighetto/Bournival-Desharnais-Parenteau
Prust-Malholtra-Weise/Bournival
Bournival/Andrighetto/Weise

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
When Eller comes back, he becomes a top-6 center, and Bournival, Andrighetto and Weise fight for one spot on the third line and one spot on the fourth line.

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Sekac
Andrighetto/Bournival-Desharnais-Parenteau
Prust-Malholtra-Weise/Bournival
Bournival/Andrighetto/Weise

Good scenario, even though I'd switch 67 and 27. I still dislike 51 and 15 together, but if they do well, they'll remain together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad