Speculation: What happens to Tatar now?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
https://twitter.com/georgemalik/status/379297335466942465

Perhaps I was right, despite being called "delusional." What Ken Holland did was a simple business tactic, often used, and extremely effective. I respect everyone's opinion around here but you guys can be worse than teenage girls sometimes.

For the record, I don't follow Malik and for the most part think he's worse than those teenage girls I talked about above hah.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
I feel like even holland saying Tatar will make the team, won't be enough to calm some ppl down. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So Malik went to ask about Tatar...

...and Holland confirmed that Tatar belongs in the final 14 forward group.

Which is not the same thing as saying "he's in the final 14 group." And even if it does mean he is part of the roster, it does not mean "he will be playing."

Until I see him playing regularly, I'm pessimistic.

Last edited:

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Which is not the same thing as saying "he's in the final 14 group." And even if it does mean he is part of the roster, it does not mean "he will be playing."

@HeleneStJames: Ken Holland: "Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing." #RedWings

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Not too worried about Tatar. We need to trim 3 forwards. I think one of Helm (IR) or Emmerton (waived) will be the first, as I don't think the Wings will carry both. And I think the Wings will put Nyquist in GR before they trade Tatar. So it would come down to Tatar vs Eaves vs Tootoo vs Samuelsson. I like Tatar's chances to be one of the 3 most valuable out of those 4.

Then again, stranger things have happened.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

People were claiming he wouldn't be on the roster, period. This is a step in the right direction, obviously.

RedWingsNow*

https://twitter.com/georgemalik/status/379297335466942465

Perhaps I was right, despite being called "delusional." What Ken Holland did was a simple business tactic, often used, and extremely effective. I respect everyone's opinion around here but you guys can be worse than teenage girls sometimes.

For the record, I don't follow Malik and for the most part think he's worse than those teenage girls I talked about above hah.

That dude is freakin' deranged

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On the opening night, if healthy, Tatar will be on the starting roster. All the time it has been nothing but an obvious thing.

He is that good.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
On the opening night, if healthy, Tatar will be on the starting roster. All the time it has been nothing but an obvious thing.

He is that good.

It was pretty obvious during his stint with the big club last season before he was shockingly sent back down.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
So great, he's one of the fourteen. He'll probably fight for icetime with the likes of Eaves, Emmerton and Tootoo while guys like Sammy and Cleary take up valuable ice time. And the idea of Nyquist getting sent down because his GM can't help himself in signing vintage Wings players is a joke in and of itself. These kids have done everything that was asked of them, they put their time in, they even proved they could play last year and were instrumental in the Wings being able to not only get in the playoffs, but advance. This team needs and infusion of young legs and attitude, let the kids play for God's sake. So Tatar is one of the 14 forwards, great, but that still doesn't mean he will get the proper ice time to develop his game. If that happens, and when Cleary is re-signed to a long term contract, does he then bolt for the KHL?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
So great, he's one of the fourteen. He'll probably fight for icetime with the likes of Eaves, Emmerton and Tootoo while guys like Sammy and Cleary take up valuable ice time.

So competition is a bad thing?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
But he did have another place to play with 1st line minutes because of his waiver-freedom. Now those days are over.

How hard this HUGE difference is to understand?

Well see, "obvious" is not so "obvious" sometimes with this team. I would have thought it obvious that a guy who produced like Tatar and, to my eyes, played very well for a good chunk of games, would be kept up.

And yet he wasn't. Would it have been impossible to have Tatar and Nyquist up at the same time? Didn't they overlap a couple of games anyway? I just don't get their reasoning.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
But he did have another place to play with 1st line minutes because of his waiver-freedom. Now those days are over.

How hard this HUGE difference is to understand?

Tatar could have made the big club better last season. Tatar did make them better. Despite being one of the more effective players on the team during his stint, we had to watch both Abdelkader and Cleary play alongside Datsyuk. Some posters actually attempted to make the arguement that Tatar wasn't being moved up because the bottom 6 needed his presence.

Tatar not being on the team (to maximize their potential) and not getting the ice time that he seemed to earn (once again to maximize both individual and team potential) is exactly why people like myself have been frustrated by the whole situation.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
So competition is a bad thing?

Competition for what exactly? He's better than Cleary, Samuelsson, Miller, Eaves and Emmerton. He's younger and faster and has more skills to boot. He has already proven he belongs on the team, he's proven that he can play on the top 3 lines. If this were an actual competition where the best player plays I like his chances, but that is not the case. He will sit, barring injury, and guys like Samuelsson and Cleary will play. So you can talk about competition but we all know the outcome before it even happens. If you are a veteran you will only lose your job to injury so let's stop pretending there is true competition, there isn't.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well see, "obvious" is not so "obvious" sometimes with this team. I would have thought it obvious that a guy who produced like Tatar and, to my eyes, played very well for a good chunk of games, would be kept up.

And yet he wasn't. Would it have been impossible to have Tatar and Nyquist up at the same time? Didn't they overlap a couple of games anyway? I just don't get their reasoning.

They both played in one reg. season game together, Feb 15 against Anaheim. IIRC Dat was injured that game. Nyquist was sent down after that.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hey guys just a reminder that when talking/ conversing/ debating with fellow posters refrain from using smileys in a confrontational or condescending fashion as it only adds fuel to the fire. Thanks.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Holland confirming that Tatar will be on the roster isn't really surprising, as pessimistic as some of us (myself included) like to be at times I think we all knew that Holland wouldn't just let him go for nothing what concerns me more is Babcock's side of things. Tatar just being on the roster isn't enough for me if he's sitting in the pressbox or playing 4th line minutes with little to no PP time while DFC gets 15+ minutes a night. Also someone should ask Holland the same question regarding Nyquist.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
They both played in one reg. season game together, Feb 15 against Anaheim. IIRC Dat was injured that game. Nyquist was sent down after that.

Just looked that game up.

http://video.ducks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,200

Everyone, say hello to the GR line. Tatar/Andersson/Nyquist. Tearing it up for 2 goals against the Ducks. The only two Wings goals in the game. And to say that the Ducks weren't exactly bottom feeders last year would be an understatement.

If there is a just god, we will have that line for the majority of the season this year.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Just looked that game up.

http://video.ducks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,200

Everyone, say hello to the GR line. Tatar/Andersson/Nyquist. Tearing it up for 2 goals against the Ducks. The only two Wings goals in the game. And to say that the Ducks weren't exactly bottom feeders last year would be an understatement.

If there is a just god, we will have that line for the majority of the season this year.

They were dynamite that night. Jeez.
:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad