Speculation: What happens to Tatar now?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If you listen to this interview, Holland sounds like a poster here. Malik asks him if Tatar will make the team, and Holland says that he WILL be on the team, and then goes on to list all the good stuff he's done.

Hell, Holland sounds a little confused by Malik's question (has Tatar improved?) because he thought Tatar was pretty damn good last year.

Check it out. https://soundcloud.com/georgeums/holland091513

Bonus quote from Holland on his performance in the alumni game: "You want more goals? Get more Ken Hollands."

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If you listen to this interview, Holland sounds like a poster here. Malik asks him if Tatar will make the team, and Holland says that he WILL be on the team, and then goes on to list all the good stuff he's done.

Hell, Holland sounds a little confused by Malik's question (has Tatar improved?) because he thought Tatar was pretty damn good last year.

Excellent...

Now to see if Babcock agrees...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Bonus quote from Holland on his performance in the alumni game: "You want more goals? Get more Ken Hollands."

Now let us pray that Babcock likes him.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If he can be a faster Hudler, he'll get his chances. Hudler wasn't Babcock's favorite, but he still got respectable offensive ice time, all things considered.

Tatar has sickening speed compared to Hudler. I also don't see Tatar having the hesitance of shooting the puck. Hudler has better vision though.

Tatar is going to be a real good player from what I've seen of him. I never realized how quick a skater he was until last season and he's one of those guys that has a great sense for the offensive zone. He just needs the opportunity now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tatar has sickening speed compared to Hudler. I also don't see Tatar having the hesitance of shooting the puck. Hudler has better vision though.

Tatar is going to be a real good player from what I've seen of him. I never realized how quick a skater he was until last season and he's one of those guys that has a great sense for the offensive zone. He just needs the opportunity now.

He's also more aggressive and grittier. I lump Hudler with Filppula. High skill, but way too perimeter. We need guys who will attack the net.

Jul 30, 2005
Excellent...

Now to see if Babcock agrees...
Well, he said this:

Wings coach Mike Babcock on whether Tomas Tatar has a chip on his shoulder.

“I don’t think he has a chip on his shoulder,” Babcock said. “I just think he can count. I think he played great. I thought he’s been really good every single day, but to me that’s not a chip. He can do the math. He wants to play and I don’t blame him.”

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Well, he said this:

No idea what that means. Had he said he's been real gud. I'd be more pleased. Sounds like he doesn't like Tat's attitude. And he just being one of the best players out there because he knows he has to be just to make the team. I don't know. Maybe it's just tough love.

Jul 30, 2005
No idea what that means. Had he said he's been real gud. I'd be more pleased. Sounds like he doesn't like Tat's attitude. And he just being one of the best players out there because he knows he has to be just to make the team. I don't know. Maybe it's just tough love.
I think the snarkiness of the comment comes from his training camp mindgame. He has to constantly sell how tough this camp is, and how hard everybody has to work. He's doing that in every interview he has right now, and it's just obnoxious.

The important part is probably just that Babcock thinks he's played great every single day. It sounds like Holland and Babcock are roughly on the same page when it comes to Tatar.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sounds like he was defending Tatar. No chip, just trying to plow through a crowded roster.

RedWingsNow*

He's also more aggressive and grittier. I lump Hudler with Filppula. High skill, but way too perimeter. We need guys who will attack the net.

Almost every Hudler goal came from within 10 feet of the net. It's not accurate to call him a perimeter player. He went to the net pretty fearlessly. He could win battles on the boards... but the wings have 6 footers who can't win battles on the boards

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Almost every Hudler goal came from within 10 feet of the net. It's not accurate to call him a perimeter player. He went to the net pretty fearlessly. He could win battles on the boards... but the wings have 6 footers who can't win battles on the boards

Disagree. Hudler wasnt soft in the sense that he wouldnt go to the net and he did actualy score a lot of goals in tight but the guy was weak as a noodle and was always on his ass going into the corner with a dman.

Tatar is a lot stronger and plays a lot feistier

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hurler got decent ice time, and Tatar should be more of what Babcock likes, so I assume he'll get a fair shake, is why I brought it up.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Disagree. Hudler wasnt soft in the sense that he wouldnt go to the net and he did actualy score a lot of goals in tight but the guy was weak as a noodle and was always on his ass going into the corner with a dman.

He's almost vicious.

RedWingsNow*

I think anyone expecting Tatar to be much stronger on his skates than Hudler is asking to be disappointed.
He's a bit stronger and he's faster (though he's not really fast).

His gift, IMO, is that he's not the least bit bashful about wanting to put the puck on net. Not many guys have that killer instinct like he does.

A few years ago Hudler scored 23 Even Strength goals-- despite not playing a ridiculous amount of ice time.

I've been laughed at for suggesting Tatar will score 30 to 35 goals with first line/first unit PP time.

Most 30 to 35 goal scorers don't get many more ES goals than Hudler did that year. But Hudler was really sold short on this board for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I thought drafting Tatar added a lot of value for Hudler in Detroit. Unfortunately it didn't work out like that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think anyone expecting Tatar to be much stronger on his skates than Hudler is asking to be disappointed.
He's a bit stronger and he's faster (though he's not really fast).

His gift, IMO, is that he's not the least bit bashful about wanting to put the puck on net. Not many guys have that killer instinct like he does.

A few years ago Hudler scored 23 Even Strength goals-- despite not playing a ridiculous amount of ice time.

I've been laughed at for suggesting Tatar will score 30 to 35 goals with first line/first unit PP time.

I could see Tatar scoring 30 at some point depending on linemates and I agree about the shooting instinct, its why Tatar scored so much in the CAlder cup playoffs.

I do think Tatar has above average speed but it doesnt really stand out. The thing he really did was work on his acceleration and now he seems to be very quick out there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad