What happens if the Avs win the draft lottery?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The obvious answer is "select McDavid".

However, and I caution saying this, they should keep their ears open (obvious) for a team that would offer a ridiculous deal.

That deal would have to include not only that team's 1st rounder in return, but a Young, Quality Top-3 Defender, young quality Top-6 player and at least 1-2 Future 1st Round draft picks.

Seeing as how I don't believe any team would offer that, just take McDavid.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
What happens if the Avs win the draft lottery? ‎
a good thing ...Hope for avs future

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
The obvious answer is "select McDavid".

However, and I caution saying this, they should keep their ears open (obvious) for a team that would offer a ridiculous deal.

That deal would have to include not only that team's 1st rounder in return, but a Young, Quality Top-3 Defender, young quality Top-6 player and at least 1-2 Future 1st Round draft picks.

Seeing as how I don't believe any team would offer that, just take McDavid.

PHX offers their first (likely top 5), OEL, Max Domi and future firsts.

Is that something you might be interested in? :sarcasm:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
PHX offers their first (likely top 5), OEL, Max Domi and future firsts.

Is that something you might be interested in? :sarcasm:

If Phoenix offered:

2015 1st Round (Top-5)
OEL
Max Domi
2016 1st Round
2017 1st Round

for

McDavid

That would be something I think Joe and Patrick would have to at least talk about, and think if it would help the team any...I'm not saying they SHOULD do it, but rather that would have to be something they'd have to at least consider, wouldn't it?

I mean, in the end, like I said, I don't think any team offers up that much, but if one did, they'd have to at least have a discussion.

[Also, nice Martin Landau from Entourage quote at the end!]

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If Phoenix offered:

2015 1st Round (Top-5)
OEL
Max Domi
2016 1st Round
2017 1st Round

for

McDavid

That would be something I think Joe and Patrick would have to at least talk about, and think if it would help the team any...I'm not saying they SHOULD do it, but rather that would have to be something they'd have to at least consider, wouldn't it?

I mean, in the end, like I said, I don't think any team offers up that much, but if one did, they'd have to at least have a discussion.

[Also, nice Martin Landau from Entourage quote at the end!]

I'd do that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah of course you'd do that. I'd do it for half of that package.

Seriously, if you can get OEL and their first this year you should probably do it, even without any extra sweeteners. But that's getting into Lindros trade 2.0 territory, and I think it's crazy to expect any team to actually make an offer like that. If a team's offering up a top pick this year, a first next year and an A prospect I'll be surprised, much less an excellent young player who's already well on his way to NHL glory.

OEL is having a bad year, like Duchene/Landy/ROR/MacK/Barrie are, but that's no reason to ignore what he's already shown or what he's going to be. With that contract we'd have an elite first pairing for over a decade at a good price (even if EJ demands 7+ like he can), starting next season once OEL and EJ gelled. With a top 5 pick in this draft as well we'd be set up for for a dynasty if the team just sat tight from there. If needed you move ROR for a young forward who's controlled, in that scenario JVR would be the ideal guy to go after but you can settle for someone either less proven or less talented because it's no longer just Bleackley and the ROR-return who have to replace ROR/Iggy/Tanguay/Hejda, and then the team requires no further moves, just patience while we keep stocking the pipeline, scouring euro-steals and looking for better vets to push Talbot and Cody out of the 4th line jobs.

ROR/RORtrade - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacK - Tanguay
McGinn - Malkin - Rendulic
Everberg - Winchester - McCleod/Talbot

OEL - EJ
Stuart/Holden - Barrie
Stuart/Holden/Siemens - Redmond/Elliott/Noreau/Holden
(Bolded how I think we'd be best served using that talent assuming that Holden/Redmond/Elliott are playing like they are now)

Varly
Picks/Berra
Martin/Aitto/Will/Plooshy2

With this year's top 5 pick, Bleackley, and Bigras, leading a suddenly very good prospect pool that we can afford to be patient with.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
An OEL-EJ pairing would be top 5 in the NHL... I shouldn't even dream about that.

Honestly, I would expect that pairing to get close to Josi-Weber in the discussion for best in the NHL in time. Which is why Phoenix would never make that offer, regardless of how desperate for McJesus they may be. They'll just collect their top pick this year, wherever it lands.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
You get Mcdavid you keep Mcdavid.

This. Teams would make offers, but no GM is going to risk his job on the Lindros-esque package it would take to get the Avs to give up the most highly touted prospect since Crosby.

You sit still, take McDavid and bask in your good fortune.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
This. Teams would make offers, but no GM is going to risk his job on the Lindros-esque package it would take to get the Avs to give up the most highly touted prospect since Crosby.

This is true. Turn back the clock and Lindros (and his parents) were fine with QUE the trade never would've happpened.

And even if McDavid did the same thing , you still pick him

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No sane GM. There's always an idiot like Milbury, Ditka or McDaniels matriculating.

So what you're saying is that if we win the lottery we should call up MacT when he starts panicking about drafting 3rd? I'd be ok with giving up McJesus for Hanifin, Yakubov and Draisaitl...That seems like a trade that could work out well for us...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So what you're saying is that if we win the lottery we should call up MacT when he starts panicking about drafting 3rd? I'd be ok with giving up McJesus for Hanifin, Yakubov and Draisaitl...That seems like a trade that could work out well for us...

I don't think you can trade a guy who is pretty much guaranteed to be a stud and potentially the next Crosby for some question marks. Now those are some question marks with very high potential but I wouldn't do it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

It's unlikely, but who knows? That's why you take the call.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think you can trade a guy who is pretty much guaranteed to be a stud and potentially the next Crosby for some question marks. Now those are some question marks with very high potential but I wouldn't do it.

Lindros was traded for question marks and we built a dynasty off of that trade. It really comes down to how you view those specific question marks and what you can do with them. Personally I'm a fan of those specific guys, at least the two forwards...haven't seen enough of Hanifin to know if I believe the hype on him or not, but our scouts have. If they think he's the goods I'd love that trade. That is enough high end pieces that we can afford to risk McJesus living up to the hype and still end up a better team for it given the pieces we already have.

I'm a huge Leon fan, and not only cause he's german. If he's developed properly and keeps working on his skating he will be a really gifted playmaker with great size and fine defensive instincts, like a bigger Staz. I am certain that Yakubov will explode once he lands with a proper organization, like scoring 30+ goals in his first season out of edmonton (depending on where he lands) explode, because the little fella just tries so damn hard, has such an absurdly good shot if he regains his confidence in it, and has so much talent. He needs a good coach to get him back on track and rebuild his confidence but I was a huge fan of his coming out and he still has all of the things that made me so fond of him if he ever gets developed. Add an apparently exceptional defensive prospect like Hanifin, and the freedom that trade would give us in terms of what return we need for ROR; and we'd be set up for a dynasty.

Say we made a trade around ROR and someone like Hamhuis, we could roll into next season with:

Yakubov - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacK - Tanguay
Leon* - Malkin - McGinn
Highlander - Winchester - Everbeast/Talbs

Hamhuis - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden/Hanifin/Siemens - Redmond/Holden

Varly
Pickard/Berra

*as the year progresses Leon takes on more and more Center duties from Malkin until he's playing well enough for us to try out Landy-Leon-MacK if Tanguay needs a lighter load

With Hanifin and/or Siemens, Bigras, Gaertsen, Wood, Butcher; Rendulic, Bleackley, Henley, Schumacher, Smith and the other smurfs, Nantel/Magyar; the goalies, and this coming drafts other picks, down on the farm.

We'd suddenly have the organizational depth to really make the most of our players by growing them slowly, and we'd have enough young talent that's already breaking through/broken through/soon to break through, that we would have so much freedom tweak things through trades. All around a really extraordinary young core that would be simply load, from top to bottom at all positions.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

I don't know, I think there are a handful of teams that might, especially ones that are maybe not cap teams that are looking with a nod towards the future.

Sticking with the Yotes as an example, I would take a minor twist on it and go

Avs:
Yandle
OEL
Yotes 2nd 2016
Yotes 1st 2017

Yotes:
McDavid
Holden
McLeod
Berra

Basically taking Yandle in place of a 1st and a prospect and ditching a few contracts to the Yotes in favor of another 2nd/1st round pick.

OEL-Johnson
Yandle-Barrie
Stuart*-Redmond/Elliott/Guenin/Siemens/Bigras (take your pick of the young or journymen D men)

*If you can trade Stuart, either in the Yotes deal in place of Holden or in a separate deal, you do so and re-sign Hedja or find another UFA vet D man.

In regards to the cap, Avs sit about 3 million under at the moment, will maybe gain another million from the small cap growth this summer, and clear 3.25 for Hejda and 2.375 for Wilson. They add 10.75 million in this deal, sending out 4.5 million with McLeod, Holden, and Berra --- most of which are dead weight. Long story short the Avs can cap afford it with a few million to go on the cap. Longer term you have Stuart, Tanguay, and Iggy coming off the books over the next 2 seasons --paying for Johnson, Mac, and a few other raises -- and O'Reilly probably comes off for a divested group of younger/cheaper players at the deadline unless he signs a deal.

Last edited:

iand22

Jun 6, 2014

I'm not sure I'd make that trade even though the potential is very high.

Don't forget that the Lindros trade was forced so they took the best offer. It's not like we were shopping him and decided that that was good enough. Another thing to consider is if they did all work out long term how do you fit that many players with high contracts. Do you pay one elite player @ 10mil or 3 excellent players at 6? That's a tough question when you already have 5 or 6 other players @6-8 mil.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011

I think MacT would be fine with drafting Hanifin

Now Buffalo would be the team to pillage

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
For me to trade McDavid to Phoenix, it would have to be:

OEL
Domi
their #1 pick (which would be either Hanifin or Strome)

You could then roll:

Domi-Duchene-Iginla
Landy-MacK-Tanguay
McGinn-Mitchell-Everberg
McCleod-Winchester-Bordy

OEL-Johnson
ROR trade-Barrie
Stuart-whoever wins this spot between Holden, Guenin, Seimens, Bigras, Elliott, Redmond, Hanifin(if drafted)

Varly
Pickard

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Would they take Marner third though? That's about as low as their pick will go. And really a scorer?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Marner-Drai-Yakupov

Might be what he is going for. I don't know why but that seems to be the plan. If the Oilers end up at 3rd overall and do not take Hanifin, MacT should be fired on the spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00