What happens if the Avs win the draft lottery?

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Stay at #1 and pick McDavid or Eichel? Trade down to #3 and pick Hanifin? Trade to someone else and get a bigger return?

I would stay and pick McDavid. We need defense, but we need a lot of other things.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Pick McDavid and ship O'Reilly out for the best offer during the first round.

Build around:
Winger-McDavid-MacKinnon
Landeskog-Duchene-Winger

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
While I'd love to hear what an offer to trade down would be and think that Eichel might fit this team better, it's probably best to not be the team that passes over McDavid. We'll find some way to fit his talent in.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There is no decision to be made. You keep the pick and take McDavid.

And then likely trade both O'Reilly and Duchene eventually.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought the new lottery rules were in place this year but it looks like it's not until 2016. In that case, I wouldn't trade the pick if we win the lottery because you don't pass on McDavid. I would've preferred a trade if it was the 2nd/3rd overall pick.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
We would be Edmonton #2. Everyone's #1 hate after that though IMO. Luckboxing MacK and McJesus.
No, we wouldn't. Edmonton got all their 1st overall picks by being last or at the very bottom of the league. The Avs would have gotten this 1st overall pick by pure luck. I can't see the Avs finishing with a pick any higher than 7th or 8th without winning the lottery.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
If we ended up with McDavid I could care less what everyone else thinks about how lucky, garbage we are. It'll be worth it.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There would be a 99.9% chance of keeping the pick and taking McDavid. The .1% chance would be if some team got super desperate for McDavid and did something stupid.

Ie: Like Nashville giving up Josi, Forsberg and Ekholm

or

Florida giving us Ekblad, Bjugstad and Kulikov or Gudbranson

etc. you get the point, unless a team does something stupid and the Avs can walk away laughing because the deal made us infinitely better you don't give up McDavid.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There would be a 99.9% chance of keeping the pick and taking McDavid. The .1% chance would be if some team got super desperate for McDavid and did something stupid.

Ie: Like Nashville giving up Josi, Forsberg and Ekholm

or

Florida giving us Ekblad, Bjugstad and Kulikov or Gudbranson

etc. you get the point, unless a team does something stupid and the Avs can walk away laughing because the deal made us infinitely better you don't give up McDavid.

i'm nor sure if i even would do those trades. ok the second one is intriguing but wouldn't do the NSH trade.

but yeah, point taken.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would listen to offers. They would be unbelievable.

Yea, I think they most likely keep the pick, but I'd hope they'd at least leak out the offers so everybody can hear how crazy they are.

There is no decision to be made. You keep the pick and take McDavid.

And then likely trade both O'Reilly and Duchene eventually.

That's probably a scenario they'd likely have to look at, but can you imagine how crushed Duchene would be if the Avs traded him? Especially while he's relatively young?

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Trade O'Reilly and make mackinnon a winger.

Landeskog Duchene (iginla)
(Tanguay) McDavid Mackinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad