What happens if the Avs win the draft lottery?

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I'd be immeasurably embarrassed if we stink bad enough to win the lottery...again. I'm sick of this losing crap and being able to draft McDavid guarantees NOTHING.

You'd be embarrassed if we have insanely good luck? I don't think we are talking about finishing last in the NHL, just being in the lottery draw and winning

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'd be immeasurably embarrassed if we stink bad enough to win the lottery...again. I'm sick of this losing crap and being able to draft McDavid guarantees NOTHING.

We could miss the playoffs by one point and win the lottery. It's not embarrassing, it's pretty funny.

Regarding the conversation. Keep Duchene, he's cost controlled, on a nice deal and he's an Avs player for life. Unless we get a home run deal for Duchene, keep him. And by home run I mean a top 10 defender on a nice deal with a nice cap hit for a good amount of term.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
While I dont think the return will be as crazy I could see TOR or BUF offer up something in today's cap world that would come close

Even then teams are too scared (rightfully so) to pull a trigger on a deal for McDavid.

Tor could offer their entire team and it wouldn't be enough for McDavid. Buff would probably have to trade their whole team for him

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Agree with drafting McDavid and trading ROR for D help, move Mackinnon to wing.

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-McDavid-Mackinnon

Thats an insane top 6

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A dynasty

ROR - Duchene - Iginla
Landy - McJesus - MacK
McG - Malkin - Tangs/Bleackley
Everberg - Winchester - Rendulic/McCleod/Talbot/Smith

and corsi can go **** itself.

Last edited:

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Some of the responses are interesting. I get that Mcdavid is good but we have depth and defense issues. IF we somehow won the lottery... I think you trade the pick for a lot... we could solidify our roster and greatly improve with one trade.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I apologize if this has been already asked and answered.

What happens after the first pick is determined? Does the draft then simply continue in the 'normal' way?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I apologize if this has been already asked and answered.

What happens after the first pick is determined? Does the draft then simply continue in the 'normal' way?

Yes.

Thus why there is still going to be a huge race for the worst record in the league, as Buffalo or Edmonton want to be assured of at least getting one of the two.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Some of the responses are interesting. I get that Mcdavid is good but we have depth and defense issues. IF we somehow won the lottery... I think you trade the pick for a lot... we could solidify our roster and greatly improve with one trade.

I don't disagree with the thought, but I also do not think that a team that has a true upgrade or two for us on D would be in the market for McDavid.

If someone is willing to trade a top D man + another NHL level forward prospect + a pick/prospect for McDavid, I do it hands down.....but more likely than not the return would not line up.

That said, if Buffalo has the 2nd pick, and they are willing to do Myers + 2nd Overall (Eichel) + Lemieux, you have to think about it....but does Buffalo do that, probably not?

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
I don't disagree with the thought, but I also do not think that a team that has a true upgrade or two for us on D would be in the market for McDavid.

If someone is willing to trade a top D man + another NHL level forward prospect + a pick/prospect for McDavid, I do it hands down.....but more likely than not the return would not line up.

That said, if Buffalo has the 2nd pick, and they are willing to do Myers + 2nd Overall (Eichel) + Lemieux, you have to think about it....but does Buffalo do that, probably not?

Buffalo does that deal easy, I think they would make a huge push for MaDavid, I could see them offering Myers 2nd overall and possibly Reinhardt. If that's offered I think you have to take it

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

Agreed

I should have clarified... it would to be a heck of a deal. If you don't get that deal then don't trade it but just because Mcdavid is supposed to be great doesn't mean you keep him no matter what. This is a team sport after all.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If the Avs win the lottery they draft Connor McDavid.
What happens next we don't know, but McDavid will be an Av if the Avs win the lottery.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013

If Lemieux's last name was Johnson you wouldn't even consider that.

Edit: Look at the trade Buffalo and Winnipeg just made.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

No. That's another pick, like the MacK pick, that you don't trade unless someone offers take 2 of the Lindros package. The only thing winning the lottery changes is how painful losing ROR would be.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
No. That's another pick, like the MacK pick, that you don't trade unless someone offers take 2 of the Lindros package. The only thing winning the lottery changes is how painful losing ROR would be.

Agreed. Plus this allows more options of what you can take as far as packages for ROR since many of the offers here on the boards have been for player(s) plus futures. Also this likely would give us more money for Sekara signing and EJ and Mack extensions.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I would pick McDavid and roll 4 offensive lines with Duchene, MacKinnon, OReilly and McDavid as their centers. Like a boss, hahaha.

Seriously though, pick him and trade OReilly for defense.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Picking McDavid will only make sense. The Colorado Avalanche then become stuck in a loop where whenever we draft one good center, one also leaves us soon after.

We pick Duchene... Sakic leaves
We pick MacKinnon... Stastny leaves
We pick McDavid... ROR leaves
We pick the next young star... Duchene leaves
We pick the next young star after that... Mackinnon leaves..

:cry:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Thank you.

Also worth noting that this is the last year of this method.

Starting next year all picks to non-playoff teams are drawn out of a hat based on odds, meaning tanking will become even more risky, as you might not get anything more than if you tried hard the last 2 months.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
Trade ROR for Marincin and Yak. Just so we can ice a line with 3 #1's on it

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland