What happens if the Avs win the draft lottery?

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
A highly talented but butter soft top 6

Whatever allows Hanifin to drop to the Avs is all good to me

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Lindros was traded for question marks and we built a dynasty off of that trade. It really comes down to how you view those specific question marks and what you can do with them. Personally I'm a fan of those specific guys, at least the two forwards...haven't seen enough of Hanifin to know if I believe the hype on him or not, but our scouts have. If they think he's the goods I'd love that trade. That is enough high end pieces that we can afford to risk McJesus living up to the hype and still end up a better team for it given the pieces we already have.

Lindros wasn't traded for just question marks though. 4 proven NHL players came back in that trade too.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Lindros wasn't traded for just question marks though. 4 proven NHL players came back in that trade too.

Exactly. Any trade involving McDavid HAS to net the Avs at least 2 proven NHLers IMO, Colorado - despite this seasons fall back to earth - is not at the point where they are still purely stockpiling futures. They need to take a step forward next year, and an all prospect return does not do that. One of those NHLers has to be a D man that is proven at the NHL level AND that has upside. The other could be a player north of 30 if he improves the depth.

Thus why the Oilers probably do not make sense as a trade partner, as all of their NHL ready talent are based in forwards....plus any talent they do have on the blueline they are unlikely to give up due to them needing D men just as badly as the Avs.

Florida might make a decent trade partner though...... They have depth on D, both in prospects and NHL ready talent.... the could use a legit super star at forward - a star to market ala Stamkos in Tampa.... and they have a few forwards that are young and NHL ready.

Avs:
Gudbranson
Barkov
Campbell (Florida Retains 3 million)
Florida 1st 2015
Florida 2nd 2016

Panthers:
McDavid
Holden
Berra

would be a deal I would do hands down. Get a vet D man with puck moving ability in Campbell, a D man with size looking towards the future in Gudbranson, a solid 2 way center with size in Barkov that allows Mac to stay on wing on the 2nd line, a 10-12 pick to fill the futures requirement, and 2nd to either draft with or use as a trade chip in the future. Also clear Berra and Holden out of the system.

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I just looked the other day and OEL is 23. Wowzers. Guy is going to be so good for so long.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Avs must keep McDavid when (not if) they land him. They could trade one of Duchene or Landeskog for a kings ransom.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Even if its likely someone gets traded, that will be a fun camp/preseason
with or without ROR

But I cant imagine ROR is still an Av past the first round if the unthinkable happens and we get Mcjesus.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Avs must keep McDavid when (not if) they land him. They could trade one of Duchene or Landeskog for a kings ransom.

They're not trading Landeskog.

Really wish you'd get over your "hate" for him. You act like he personally showed up to your house, rang your doorbell and left a flaming sack of poop on your doorstep...and then afterwards jumped out of the bushes and kicked your dog (or cat).

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Even if its likely someone gets traded, that will be a fun camp/preseason
with or without ROR

But I cant imagine ROR is still an Av past the first round if the unthinkable happens and we get Mcjesus.

Agreed. There is no way ROR makes it past the first round without being traded if McDavid was drafted.

After you draft McDavid you'd essentially have 4 top 6 centers. This would also pretty much guarantee that MacKinnon would be moved to wing full time, because Duchene is a train wreck on the wing.

You'd pretty much have your pairs set for the next decade:

McDavid-MacKinnon
Landeskog-Duchene (I know they haven't worked well in the past but if I was Roy I'd tell them they need to spend the summer together and figure out how to work well together because they will be playing together for awhile in this scenario.)

then you just fill in the blanks in the top 6.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hmmm... Armchair GM time :naughty:

Draft McDavid 1st Overall
Trade Matt Duchene for Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Trade Ryan O'Reilly for Lars Eller, Nathan Beaulieu, and Montreal's 1st Round Pick in 2015 (Sake of simplicity)
Draft Paul Bittner with that 1st round pick

Landeskog-MacKinnon-McGinn
Tanguay-McDavid-Iginla
Everberg-Eller-Rendulic
McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot

Ekman Larsson-Johnson
Beaulieu-Barrie
Bigras-Stuart

Hmm... :naughty:

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands

Trade Ryan O'Reilly for Lars Eller, Nathan Beaulieu, and Montreal's 1st Round Pick in 2015 (Sake of simplicity)

Tanguay-McDavid-Iginla
Everberg-Eller-Rendulic
McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot

Ekman Larsson-Johnson
Beaulieu-Barrie
Bigras-Stuart

Tangs and Iginla would likely be retired before the rest of the forwards are really ready to compete though

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Tangs and Iginla would likely be retired before the rest of the forwards are really ready to compete though

Well, that's why we have Connor Bleackley, to step into the top-6 when Iggy/Tanguay are gone. It's not as hard to find plug-and-play forwards as it is defenseman. A top-6 consisting of McDavid, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Bleackley, and one of Mcginn/Rendulic is a solid 5. Just need to find one more player to fill in, and that generally isn't too hard, especially compared with finding a defenseman to play in the top-4. Our defence, though, would be off the charts good. OEL, EJ, Bigras and Barrie top-4 in the future with Beaulieu on the 3rd pairing. Lovely :nod:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hate how i come into this thread and start getting giddy by believing we actually will end up with McDavid or even better, a package like RockLobster suggested. Then I get to the last post and realize we're going to draft somewhere like 8th overall and I feel depressed again :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Tanguay-McDavid-Iginla
Everberg-Eller-Rendulic
McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot

Ekman Larsson-Johnson
Beaulieu-Barrie
Bigras-Stuart

That team would tank really well next season when relying on two children to be our top 6 centers lead to the expected results. Trading Duchene before MacK and McJesus have developed would be asinine, and even then it would likely be very dumb.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If Arizona had the 4th ov I think I would even add ROR and Bigras to the 1st and just have a blank check into their entire organization...

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That team would tank really well next season when relying on two children to be our top 6 centers lead to the expected results. Trading Duchene before MacK and McJesus have developed would be asinine, and even then it would likely be very dumb.

Not really. If you really wanted to shelter McDavid, you could play Eller with Landeskog and Everberg, tell that line to take the tough match-ups every night. Then you could send MacK out with Tanguay and Iginla in an offensive role, and have McDavid sheltered on the 3rd line with McGinn and Rendulic or a free agent RW

Ideal? No, but tank really well? Not a chance. An immensely upgraded defence + Varly in net alone would ensure that we wouldn't be tanking.

This, of course, is all fantasy land talk saved for NHL15

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Draft McDavid, Resign ROR this summer(5x7M). Sign UFA Sekera in the Summer, trade 2016 1st + McGinn + Elliott to ARI for Yandle in the summer.

Go into 2016 looking like this:

Tanguay - Duchene - Iggy
Landy - McJesus - Mackinnon
Everbeast - ROR - Malkin
Talbot - Cliche - McCleod

Yandle - EJ
Sekera - Barrie
Stuart - Redmond
Holden - Guenin

Varly

Salary cap be damned, we're winning the cup next year.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Draft McDavid, Resign ROR this summer(5x7M). Sign UFA Sekera in the Summer, trade 2016 1st + McGinn + Elliott to ARI for Yandle in the summer.

Go into 2016 looking like this:

Tanguay - Duchene - Iggy
Landy - McJesus - Mackinnon
Everbeast - ROR - Malkin
Talbot - Cliche - McCleod

Yandle - EJ
Sekera - Barrie
Stuart - Redmond
Holden - Guenin

Varly

Salary cap be damned, we're winning the cup next year.

Mcjesus and Mackinnon together...drool.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If it was to happen as unlikely as that is and the avs draft one of the top two centers, I am against trading Duchene. He's the one guy who should be an avalanche for life. He will bounce back as he always does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad