What Happened To Reducing The Size Of Goalie Equipment Issue?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
What are you talking about? The game has always been changing! These gigantic goalies and pads are new developments that have gotten out of hand. Take a look at clips of KenDryden, who was considered a giant in his day. He looks like a skinny boy in his pads.

The goalies are better, yes, but if you can't see that something is askew when you see the tenders that look like Flubber in the net then you simply haven't watched hockey over a long enough period of time to give you perspective.

cut.jpg

His chest is the only thing really smaller.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
?? Not sure if you're being serious.
I'm referring to the thigh protection which is fixed to the goalie's pad above the knee:
img.aspx

As for knee pads, I'm talking about the ones which aren't attached to the pad:
jmItDzD.jpg

Those tuck in and are called thigh guards, big difference

Vaughn Velocity Goalie Thigh Boards | Hockey | North Bay | Kijiji

Also what is your solution? Have goalies have no knee protection? Cam Ward actually played without knee guards his entire career or at least until recently and he got a skate laceration for it, the idea that they make some big difference is completely false and they are much needed in the world where skates are sharp as can be and players shoot over 100mph.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Those tuck in and are called thigh guards, big difference

Vaughn Velocity Goalie Thigh Boards | Hockey | North Bay | Kijiji

Also what is your solution? Have goalies have no knee protection? Cam Ward actually played without knee guards his entire career or at least until recently and he got a skate laceration for it, the idea that they make some big difference is completely false and they are much needed in the world where skates are sharp as can be and players shoot over 100mph.

No. Did you even read my post?
I'm not suggesting we remove knee protection. I'm saying that thanks to adequate knee and thigh protection, those super long thigh-rises aren't necessary from a safety standpoint and could therefore be further shortened (as has already been done once, and which the league suggested doing again more recently). The NHLPA objected, so it didn't happen.

At the end of the day, I don't think it'll make a huge difference in scoring, so I won't lose any sleep at night if the rules aren't changed, but I do think it's certainly possible to reduce the size of allowable equipment without drastically reducing player safety.

Like I said, certain pieces of equipment (like thigh-rises, CAs with elevated shoulder-floaters, and trappers with "cheaters"), are all designed primarily for performance enhancing qualities. They could all be tweaked without leaving net minders vulnerable.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
No. Did you even read my post?
I'm not suggesting we remove knee protection. I'm saying that thanks to adequate knee and thigh protection, those super long thigh-rises aren't necessary from a safety standpoint and could therefore be further shortened (as has already been done once, and which the league suggested doing again more recently). The NHLPA objected, so it didn't happen.

At the end of the day, I don't think it'll make a huge difference in scoring, so I won't lose any sleep at night if the rules aren't changed, but I do think it's certainly possible to reduce the size of allowable equipment without drastically reducing player safety.

Like I said, certain pieces of equipment (like thigh-rises, CAs with elevated shoulder-floaters, and trappers with "cheaters"), are all designed primarily for performance enhancing techniques. They could all be tweaked without leaving net minders vulnerable.

They've already shortened them, you need to follow the NHL better, most goalies are now wearing 34-36" pads with maybe a few upwards of 38" which used to be the max for all goalies regardless of height which the new pads are based on.

As opposed to sticks and skates which are not designed to enhance performance? And no they can't, if it was as easy as you said it was, they would've done it already.

Here's an idea:

Come up with YOUR ideas of how to do it, make the thread and contact the NHL.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
They've already shortened them, you need to follow the NHL better, most goalies are now wearing 34-36" pads with maybe a few upwards of 38" which used to be the max for all goalies regardless of height which the new pads are based on.

Yep, which is exactly what I already noted in the post above, again calling into question your reading-comprehension skills. Bye.

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015
cut.jpg

His chest is the only thing really smaller.

The top of the leg pads contour over his knees and there is a strap that goes around the leg and holds it in place. Therefore, when goalies back in the day went down to their knees (butterfly), they needed their stick to cover up the 5 hole or bring their knees together to close the gap. Today's leg pads don't do this. Goalies wear their pads lose at the top so that when they go into the butterfly, the pads cover up the 5 hole like a garage door closing. All the goalies have to do is fall to their knees and let the pads do the work. They don't need to have the stick there or bring their knees together to cover the space. Pads should not be making the saves, goalies should be making them.

Reactions: DarrylshutzSydor

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Yep, which is exactly what I already noted in the post above, again calling into question your reading-comprehension skills. Bye.

Sorry you kept bring it up and you seemed really clueless in not even knowing the proper names for the equipment, so I assumed you didn't know what you were talking about (again).

Can you please give us your top secret/genius ideas btw? I'm sure an intellectual such as yourself has a lot to offer.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
The top of the leg pads contour over his knees and there is a strap that goes around the leg and holds it in place. Therefore, when goalies back in the day went down to their knees (butterfly), they needed their stick to cover up the 5 hole or bring their knees together to close the gap. Today's leg pads don't do this. Goalies wear their pads lose at the top so that when they go into the butterfly, the pads cover up the 5 hole like a garage door closing. All the goalies have to do is fall to their knees and let the pads do the work. They don't need to have the stick there or bring their knees together to cover the space. Pads should not be making the saves, goalies should be making them.

Sounds to me that manufacturers realized the play style of the goaltender was changing and designed gear to accomodate that instead of hindering it by staying stuck in tradition. Also, do give me an example of a goalie who doesn't use his stick while in butterfly? The difference is now the stick is used to deflect pucks into the corner rather than just using it as a stopper.

Are you also going to complain about how modern gear allows goalies to slide along the ice unlike their historical counterparts? Or how it's no longer made with heavy materials that soaked up water as the game went on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad