What Happened To Reducing The Size Of Goalie Equipment Issue?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
There is so much unnecessary padding on chest protectors, they should round the shoulders so they dont stick up so far.
those pads do literally nothing but stick up like wings, it's a complete joke

guys sitting on the bench are sucked down into their chesty like a f***in turtle

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No one here has played goal. House league hockey shots hurt sometimes. Men’s league I got bruises. You stand in there and get hit

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
No one here has played goal. House league hockey shots hurt sometimes. Men’s league I got bruises. You stand in there and get hit

Yeah you gotta love a bunch of non-goalies going on and on about it.

"IT'S SO UNNECESSARY!!!!"

How much high level goal have you played? Oh none? Then how would you know what is and isn't necessary?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

How much high level goal have you played? Oh none? Then how would you know what is and isn't necessary?

I wasn’t any good and I used to get bruised

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Thigh and off-angle shots in the ribs were the worst. My pants had a small gap where the padding came together and somehow I got hit there often.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The plan is to have it ready for 2033-2034. They had it almost close to being done, but then Garth Snow's old pads fell on the goaltending team and they are all severely concussed!

Reactions: MartyOwns

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
There is so much unnecessary padding on chest protectors, they should round the shoulders so they dont stick up so far.

guys sitting on the bench are sucked down into their chesty like a ****in turtle

Nobody who has ever taken a legitimately hard shot to the shoulder would ever say this. Excluding shots that sneak through to your knee/lower thigh, the spot where your deltoid meets your pec is the worst place to take a shot.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
Nobody who has ever taken a legitimately hard shot to the shoulder would ever say this. Excluding shots that sneak through to your knee/lower thigh, the spot where your deltoid meets your pec is the worst place to take a shot.
Not to talk about how the shoulder pads protect the neck from shots from the side or deflections off the upper arm in case of a high shot above shoulder.

guys sitting on the bench are sucked down into their chesty like a ****in turtle

Could that be, because the chest protector and pants have to overlap, so that in unusual positions during the saves the belly wont be exposed?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Oh come on. You and I both know that current goalie equipment is as much about blocking surface as it is about protection.
As a simple case: the obscene thigh rises seen on so many NHL goalies. Those exist to close the gaps in a wider butterfly stance. The pants as well as various knee pads and thigh boards already protect that area without necessarily creating more surface for stopping pucks.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
the real problem is the size of goalies. Should probably put height and weight limits on the position. :sarcasm:

I think the changes were a good start but they need to look at chest protectors. Regardless goalies will adapt and figure it out, the good ones anyways.

Not that there's anything you can do about it but the position has lost a lot of glory it used to have.

Height is the most important stat for a goalie.

It used to be exciting to watch a goalie work. Now days it's completely the opposite.
It's not about making the big save anymore. It's about not letting in the squaker.

Really no idea what can be done about it though and just lament of how hockey was a much more exciting game before the goalies ballooned up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stop trying to consantly change the game.

It's easy for an NHLer to score on goalies once you actually get them moving. The problem is that defensive systems have advanced so much and goalies have refined their game to the point where they don't create as many holes as they used to. You'll notice that scoring went up this year due to defenders having to adjust their games which allowed more freedom for forwards.
What are you talking about? The game has always been changing! These gigantic goalies and pads are new developments that have gotten out of hand. Take a look at clips of KenDryden, who was considered a giant in his day. He looks like a skinny boy in his pads.

The goalies are better, yes, but if you can't see that something is askew when you see the tenders that look like Flubber in the net then you simply haven't watched hockey over a long enough period of time to give you perspective.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Oh come on. You and I both know that current goalie equipment is as much about blocking surface as it is about protection.
As a simple case: the obscene thigh rises seen on so many NHL goalies. Those exist to close the gaps in a wider butterfly stance. The pants as well as various knee pads and thigh boards already protect that area without necessarily creating more surface for stopping pucks.

Or it's a combination of that and trying to protect people from frozen disks of rubber flying at 100mph.

They fixed the thigh rises seasons ago, people don't realize though that having extra big pads is just as much of a hinderance as it is a plus, as seen by the fact that scoring has not gone up until the NHL finally started calling more penalties.

Thigh boards don't exist and I have no idea what you're talking about with the knee pads, but if you want to risk a 100mph destroying your goalie's knee so you can see a few more goals a year, that's your call, I completely disagree with it.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Thigh boards don't exist and I have no idea what you're talking about with the knee pads, but if you want to risk a 100mph destroying your goalie's knee so you can see a few more goals a year, that's your call, I completely disagree with it.

?? Not sure if you're being serious.
I'm referring to the thigh protection which is fixed to the goalie's pad above the knee:
img.aspx

As for knee pads, I'm talking about the ones which aren't attached to the pad:
jmItDzD.jpg

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
what a hilariously bad argument? You know when people are heavier than other people they dont just like expand width wise?

Its not an argument. Its a fact. But yes, it just goes to show how bulky and somewhat over sized goalie equipment can be.

Come on Man. Murray weighs 178 pounds according hockeydb. Freddy is at 230, but used to be in the 240s until he trimmed down this past off season. you honestly think 2 people who are the same height, but have a difference of 50-60 pounds between them are going to be the same width?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Its not an argument. Its a fact. But yes, it just goes to show how bulky and somewhat over sized goalie equipment can be.

Come on Man. Murray weighs 178 pounds according hockeydb. Freddy is at 230, but used to be in the 240s until he trimmed down this past off season. you honestly think 2 people who are the same height, but have a difference of 50-60 pounds between them are going to be the same width?

are anderson's extra 50 lbs all in shoulder width?

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
What? Are people really unhappy with how often goalies are getting beaten like rented mules? Do we really want the NHL to like the RHI in the 90's?

I may be skewed based on my teams goaltenders performances this season.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

the biggest chest protector in the world isnt gonna stop every shot hitting you in the elbow joint giving you a dead arm.

re-reading this sounds like im disagree with out but im not. my point is that even these "giant" C/A people complain about still dont protect everything and even a hard shot right in the chest is still gonna sting. These guys arent bubble boys out there.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Or it's a combination of that and trying to protect people from frozen disks of rubber flying at 100mph.

They fixed the thigh rises seasons ago, people don't realize though that having extra big pads is just as much of a hinderance as it is a plus, as seen by the fact that scoring has not gone up until the NHL finally started calling more penalties.

What about the giant blockers and gloves? I don't see why they couldn't be smaller. Especially those gloves that look almost like a fishing net.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The goalies have a valid gripe in that the players are shooting harder than ever with composite sticks, don't we deserve to adequately protect ourselves?

We have made some great progress in chipping away at massive goalie gear that we saw from the late 90's to mid 2000's, but there is still work to do

What Giguere looked like during the 2003 playoffs was absolutely comical.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
He is the same height as Andersen but 50 pounds lighter, yet look remarkably the same size lol
images
View attachment 101075

Just like all the "LOOK HOW BIG THE GOALIES LOOK OMG" pictures in every thread in HF history. You're comparing one guy ready in his stance with his arms up and his shoulders spread and another guy standing with his shoulders slumped.

Anyone have that post where the guy kept zooming in on the goalies and showing how ridiculous the angle of the picture can make it look?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
the biggest chest protector in the world isnt gonna stop every shot hitting you in the elbow joint giving you a dead arm.

re-reading this sounds like im disagree with out but im not. my point is that even these "giant" C/A people complain about still dont protect everything and even a hard shot right in the chest is still gonna sting. These guys arent bubble boys out there.

It's not about "big" per se as much as stiff chests that even adhere to good contours will seem big.

I also highly doubt that most of these guys using "big" chest protectors are even doing so, as a goalie this was the last thing I wanted to do as in go one size bigger (generally I was an M) which would destroy my movement.

What about the giant blockers and gloves? I don't see why they couldn't be smaller. Especially those gloves that look almost like a fishing net.

These are also smaller than the 90s, you can shave the blocker a bit, but not much. You can make the glove slightly smaller, but not much either. Next time you're at a hockey shop, actually try on the goalie gear and honestly tell me that you feel as though you have some massive pizza on your hand that you can nab everything with.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad