What Happened To Reducing The Size Of Goalie Equipment Issue?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think they did make the pants smaller (or more rounded, less blocky in the front) sometime last season.

Goalies are still way too big in the waist area.

Maybe leg pads can be trimmed a tad too, from 11" to 10.5" or 10".

Evergreen

Changes were only made to certain parts of the equipment. So it wasn't really seen through entirely. Also, goalies have found ways around the restrictions that have been put in place. Lundqvist, for instance, wears double layers of hip protection on his pants to make them artificially larger.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think they did make the pants smaller (or more rounded, less blocky in the front) sometime last season.

Goalies are still way too big in the waist area.

Maybe leg pads can be trimmed a tad too, from 11" to 10.5" or 10".

I think the leg pads are fine. Remember that they USED to be 12"

I think the surface area of the chest protectors needs to be addressed. I get the safety aspect (I play net), but some of these guys look huge in equipment and they take the stuff off and you're stunned at how small framed they are.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto

I think the surface area of the chest protectors needs to be addressed. I get the safety aspect (I play net), but some of these guys look huge in equipment and they take the stuff off and you're stunned at how small framed they are.

Matt Murray and Ryan Miller especially. Murray is a string bean

Reactions: MikeyMike01

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Funny, Matt Murray was the exact guy I had in mind

He is the same height as Andersen but 50 pounds lighter, yet look remarkably the same size lol
images
upload_2018-2-27_15-53-55.jpeg

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

What's wrong with 10? Is any human being's shin 10" wide?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
He is the same height as Andersen but 50 pounds lighter, yet look remarkably the same size lol
images
View attachment 101075

You do realize that things like clavicle width matter in terms of chests right? Also how much smaller do you want him to look? Can you quantify this?

Finally, different people hold weight differently, looking at them off ice Murray is the archetypal ectomorph who tend to be very thin whereas Andy is a prototypical mesomorph who tend to naturally be stockier and carry more weight.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What's wrong with 10? Is any human being's shin 10" wide?

Have you ever strapped on goalie equipment? The shin is actually the thinnest portion that needs protection. Its the knee that's the issue. And while the knee isn't 10" wide either, it's the protection the pad offers from shots that don't hit you straight on. If you've ever played goalie I'll tell you how many times I've lost sight of the puck and it hits the outside of the pad and glances away and you think how lucky you are or else your knee would be bruised for a good week. Multiply the shot velocities from NHL players and any direct puck to skin/bone contact will not be fun

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yes. This. Chest protectors are HUGE.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Have you ever strapped on goalie equipment? The shin is actually the thinnest portion that needs protection. Its the knee that's the issue. And while the knee isn't 10" wide either, it's the protection the pad offers from shots that don't hit you straight on. If you've ever played goalie I'll tell you how many times I've lost sight of the puck and it hits the outside of the pad and glances away and you think how lucky you are or else your knee would be bruised for a good week. Multiply the shot velocities from NHL players and any direct puck to skin/bone contact will not be fun

Then keep the knee 10" and make the rest 9". As a bonus, goalies can't seal the ice perfectly.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Stop trying to consantly change the game.

It's easy for an NHLer to score on goalies once you actually get them moving. The problem is that defensive systems have advanced so much and goalies have refined their game to the point where they don't create as many holes as they used to. You'll notice that scoring went up this year due to defenders having to adjust their games which allowed more freedom for forwards.

Reactions: Prins Filip

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
the real problem is the size of goalies. Should probably put height and weight limits on the position. :sarcasm:

I think the changes were a good start but they need to look at chest protectors. Regardless goalies will adapt and figure it out, the good ones anyways.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Goalies arent just better, they are massive too.

Gone of the days of Vernon and Vanbiesbrouk

Hell the 80s had a ton of goalies that were 5'6-5'9

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Reduce it by 50 percent where applicable. Only protection for safety againt pucks would suffice, excluding obviously catcher and blocker (but they need to be as small as possible without sacrificing safety). The goalies should be as slim as humanly possible while still being safe stoping pucks!

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
I still haven't heard much in the way of good counterpoints to making equipment heavier rather than smaller. It would make equipment more protective while hopefully slowing or reversing the constantly rising save percentages.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You do realize that things like clavicle width matter in terms of chests right? Also how much smaller do you want him to look? Can you quantify this?

Finally, different people hold weight differently, looking at them off ice Murray is the archetypal ectomorph who tend to be very thin whereas Andy is a prototypical mesomorph who tend to naturally be stockier and carry more weight.
There is so much unnecessary padding on chest protectors, they should round the shoulders so they dont stick up so far.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You people always want to politicize the issue, bringing this up so soon after a goal is scored. It's not the right time for this discussion. Anyway, goalie pads don't make saves - goalies make saves.

Reactions: MR4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad