What happened to LGK?

Kingnut

Jul 17, 2013
Been slowly gravitating here from LGK.

Mystery to me is why ppl like piston etc... no longer on LGK and all history of the audit performed is lost/deleted....

Reactions: ibleedkings

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
One thing that I have learned in the last 8 years of creating online communities is that it’s just as hard to keep your community as it is to draw them in. The people who you choose to empower will make or break you. Nobody wants to feel bullied or disliked by their fellow members or by those taking the lead.

Reactions: Telos

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Was Neil the Blaaah?

The audit? I’m curious. Explain it to me like I’ve been banned for 17 years.
IIRC, at some point during the late Dave Taylor era, Tim Leiweke made public statements how the Kings were not profitable and in the red. Piston, who is some kind of professional corporate accountant (or something like that), challenged Leiweke and said he would be happy to do a free audit of their books. Leiweke accepted, Piston looked, and determined that Leiweke's claim was true.

Kingnut

Jul 17, 2013
IIRC, at some point during the late Dave Taylor era, Tim Leiweke made public statements how the Kings were not profitable and in the red. Piston, who is some kind of professional corporate accountant (or something like that), challenged Leiweke and said he would be happy to do a free audit of their books. Leiweke accepted, Piston looked, and determined that Leiweke's claim was true.

Cant find anything in LGK in regards though

Kingnut

Jul 17, 2013
I remember buying the big Newcastles on tap for 11 bucks each outside of my seats in 324. The glory days at this point.

Yeah, based on the direction the crypt is going with more corp seats etc... cost is just gonna keep increasing

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I was over there from the early 2000's. I didn't post much, mainly a lurker, but for a while there were okay discussions. It got pretty ridiculous over time and I migrated to here. I recognized some of the handles here and figured some of you all did the same.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I remember buying the big Newcastles on tap for 11 bucks each outside of my seats in 324. The glory days at this point.
We used to pregame it at Tiki Ti up on Sunset then postgame it at Trader Vics (RIP) back in the day. Don't know that I have ever actually bought an adult beverage inside Staples/Crypto.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Ah, the old Rinkrat's. I was reading that site (and rarely posting) since the late 90's. I don't know when or why I migrated over here, though. Heck, I can't even remember what my username was. That said, it did feel like more of a community. I remember coming across a poster on there that was in a band I used to go see all the time in SoCal (Pigs in Space) and I sent him a copy of a show of theirs I filmed. Felt like a smaller world back then.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Met quite a few members at the LGK games, back when they used to have them at the arena formerly known as HealthSouth Training Center.

And one of the former posters there who actually recorded himself doing play-by-play at an LGK game actually went on to have a career in broadcasting.

It used to be the go-to site for Kings talk, but the formation of cliques and trigger happy mods ruined that site, and I haven’t visited there in ages.

I knew some posters even before LGK, back when we had the AOL Grandstand board, and newsgroups. I remember reading about the Gretzky trade rumors to the Blues back then, and being hyped up for Olli Jokinen in 1997. Crazy to think I’ve been posting on hockey boards since I was 15.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No idea, never socialized with him much. I still chat with gescom, darby and Adgy on the regular, they are all doing well.
That's good to hear. Gescom was always very kind with me and even had an interest in my nerdy spreadsheets of Lombardi's draft history. I think I met darby in passing once. Don't recall meeting Adgy. Loved reading their posts on LGK.

Never went to many LGK events since I lived in San Diego at the time and was pretty poor. That's when I would sleep in my car to watch the development camps. I made sure I had enough for gas and food. And I was young enough at the time where sleeping in my car didn't bother me a whole lot. But a lot of the people would come to development camp and the draft parties.

One LGKer invited me back to his place in between sessions at development camp and we played video games. He also helped get me on track with the tech industry. One of my best friends who I genuinely feel I owe my life to him. I'd call him out here, but he doesn't post anymore on either forum.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Used to play in the games at Healthsouth back for a bit. The last one I went to I got my chin split open by a stick from someone who wasn't paying attention. Five stitches.

Still hang out with jerseydevil on the regular (Monday in fact). Met him for real in July of 2012 for the first time. He wasn't really interested in talking hockey then. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad