What happened to Brian Lee?

4thliner*

Not at all, in the 2nd half last year he was regularly playing 20 mins a night and in defensive role. 17:17 TOI/G for the season.

He might never be the Brian Leetch they were describing him when drafted offensively but he has top 4 NHL future due to his size 6-3 210 and skating alone. The Albino 5 can move the puck also very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
He will be a signifantly worse offensive version of Redden, more physical though and a very good first pass out of the zone.

Manny*

He's a bust, there's no doubt about it.

What's interesting is that he became a serviceable defensive defenceman after having been described as an offensive-type guy during his draft year. He's a 5-6 Dman,

4thliner*

I think he will be a very good 4 behind the big 3 because I like his defensive IQ and size/skating and first pass out of the zone. All spell a long useful career at least.

I don't think he is more physical than Redden was, both aren't physical guys IMO.

If he develops into a top 4 dman, he will not be a bust. Even though I wanted the team to selected the highly touted Kopitar in 2005 when he was still available at 9.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa

What's interesting is that he became a serviceable defensive defenceman after having been described as an offensive-type guy during his draft year. He's a 5-6 Dman,

Indeed. He was rather surprising down the stretch last year after sitting for like 20+ games in a row in the press box. It's kind of funny looking back on it, actually. Most of us Sens fans would have given him away for peanuts. Now I think most of us are willing to give him a bit more time as the team re-builds and re-evaluate. A 5-6 seems about right, though.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He wasn't worth the 9th overall pick but he's still a servicable NHL player.

Weak draft. Smid was also 9th overall(2004) and was projected to have more offense than he has shown. IMO "great skating with the puck" and "good breakout pass" characteristics used to describe a prospect D-men rarely translate into a lot of NHL points. Ryan McDonagh is probably similar also.

FightingIrish

Total Lak of Respek
Aug 30, 2010
Ottawa
He definitely didn't live up to the expections of many, including myself, but I really think he'll have an up year this coming season. He played quite well the second half of last season, played the shutdown role surprisingly good. Still can't believe we could've had Kopitar though.. :(

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He's seemed to have accepted the fact that he will never be a PMD in the NHL and has worked significantly on the defensive aspect of his game. Chris Phillips had a terrible season last year after losing long time d partner Anton Volchenkov and the only time Phillips looked remotely close to the Phillips of old was when he was partnered with Lee because Lee has started to adapt and become a stay at home defenceman.

I think Lee could be a good second pairing shut down pairing Dman if his development continues like it did in the 2nd half of last year.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He's turned into a good shutdown D-man and had instant chemistry with Phillips last year. I don't think he has a future in Ottawa though, so this year will be a big chance for him to show teams that he deserves another contract. Works hard in the weight room - which showed last year, I'm sure he's adding to his already decent frame as we speak.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
He took like 7 minors in 50 games last season while being a physical defender, that is really good. Marc Staal, who the Senators passed on, took 24 minors in 77 games with zero majors.

I am really surprised stuff like that doesn't get more attention. Minors not attached to a fighting major = BAD

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
He will be a signifantly worse offensive version of Redden, more physical though and a very good first pass out of the zone.

This.

He has great mobility, and good skating ability. His outlet pass is his biggest asset imo. He takes the hit to make a play. He will be a #4 defenseman. He's also shown a physical side to his game of late, he just needs to be consistent with it.

Feb 12, 2008

This is the most accurate description of Brian Lee. Some others are really crazy, shut down top 4 dman? LOL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he is being brought up as a number 4 defensive D type player

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Brian Lee being taken 9th overall was just one of many of John Muckler's colosal blunders in his time in Ottawa. The guy had a 3 man scouting staff.... :facepalm:

Everyone and their dog knew Marc Staal and Anze Kopitar would be the better selections but instead they had to go "off the board" to get the next Redden.

Lee himself has been an interesting case. His time in the AHL was nothing spectacular and he had an attitude when he was sent back down after his strong first showing in the NHL. Since, then he's completely changed his game from an offensive puck mover to a physical stay at home defender. Its actually amusing to hear some Sens fans rip Lee for being soft, when he's probably our most physical and consistant defender.

After being waived and sitting in the press box for the early stages of the year he came in and was paired with Chris Phillips for the latter part of the year and the two looked like a top shut down pairing. They did a number on St. Louis, Stamkos and Kovalchuk in particular a few times down the stretch.

Lee's offensive game has essentially vanished but he's very efficient with his outlets and makes simple plays that are needed from your top 4 defense-first guys. His shot is weak but the rest of his tools are great. He's big, mean and a really strong skater. I can say with a lot of confidence that he's ready for a top 4 role in the NHL. He's a bust in the sense that he'll never be that top pairing point producer but a good NHL defenseman nonetheless.

Truthfully, he never deserved to be benched for as long as he did. He played well early in the season imo. Its been fairly well documented that Murray nor Clouston like the guy and he's gotten the short straw in Ottawa for awhile. I expect he'll be shipped out when he recoupes some value but he'll do well where ever he goes and a lot of teams will be kicking themselves that they didn't pick him up off waivers last winter. His game is similar to a Jan Hejda or Josh Gorges now.

I hope he sticks in Ottawa but we all know Karlsson and Rundblad are probably going to be taking those 2 top 4 RD spots for many years to come so it may be best for Lee to move on when he gets the chance but I'd certainly love the idea of Lee in our bottom pairing.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
bust

#5-6 dman at best

at least the Sens have good future dmen in Rundblad, Wiercoch, and Cowen

TheOriginalSilf*

Lee will surprise everyone this season, mark my words. He's become so under-rated because of his draft status, it's not even funny.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Brian Lee being taken 9th overall was just one of many of John Muckler's colosal blunders in his time in Ottawa. The guy had a 3 man scouting staff.... :facepalm:

Everyone and their dog knew Marc Staal and Anze Kopitar would be the better selections but instead they had to go "off the board" to get the next Redden.

Lee himself has been an interesting case. His time in the AHL was nothing spectacular and he had an attitude when he was sent back down after his strong first showing in the NHL. Since, then he's completely changed his game from an offensive puck mover to a physical stay at home defender. Its actually amusing to hear some Sens fans rip Lee for being soft, when he's probably our most physical and consistant defender.

After being waived and sitting in the press box for the early stages of the year he came in and was paired with Chris Phillips for the latter part of the year and the two looked like a top shut down pairing. They did a number on St. Louis, Stamkos and Kovalchuk in particular a few times down the stretch.

Lee's offensive game has essentially vanished but he's very efficient with his outlets and makes simple plays that are needed from your top 4 defense-first guys. His shot is weak but the rest of his tools are great. He's big, mean and a really strong skater. I can say with a lot of confidence that he's ready for a top 4 role in the NHL. He's a bust in the sense that he'll never be that top pairing point producer but a good NHL defenseman nonetheless.

Truthfully, he never deserved to be benched for as long as he did. He played well early in the season imo. Its been fairly well documented that Murray nor Clouston like the guy and he's gotten the short straw in Ottawa for awhile. I expect he'll be shipped out when he recoupes some value but he'll do well where ever he goes and a lot of teams will be kicking themselves that they didn't pick him up off waivers last winter. His game is similar to a Jan Hejda or Josh Gorges now.

I hope he sticks in Ottawa but we all know Karlsson and Rundblad are probably going to be taking those 2 top 4 RD spots for many years to come so it may be best for Lee to move on when he gets the chance but I'd certainly love the idea of Lee in our bottom pairing.

This. He's still capable of #4 duties on a weak-average team, if you're a Cup Contender I think he'd be the type of bottom-pairing guy you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad