What happened to Brian Lee?

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
actually we are not, we were the only ones to see him play games this season so you cant say nothing about us overrating him.
He has proven himself as a top 4 shutdown dman that anyteam would love to have at a small cost.

Wait, are you serious, sarcastic, or drunk?

Brian Lee is a #7 d-man in the NHL on a non-playoff team at this moment,.

Sure, he could mature into a more serviceable 5-6 guy, but that is his peak from the looks of things.

The only team he is top-4 on, is a bottom feeding team purposely nose-diving for the #1 draft pick.

I wish him the best, but he is not top-4. When a contending team signs that #8-10 guy for depth, he is one of those guys. Nothing more unless he really improves.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Pretty funny how people claim we overrate Lee. Go to the Sens board and you'll see a lot of people wanting to ship him out for Cowen/Rundblad to move up.

He's a bust for his draft position, but he's still a reliable 5/6. It doesn't hurt that he doesn't take a lot of penalties either.

hail alfie

Apr 30, 2011

Sure, he could mature into a more serviceable 5-6 guy, but that is his peak from the looks of things.

The only team he is top-4 on, is a bottom feeding team purposely nose-diving for the #1 draft pick.

I wish him the best, but he is not top-4. When a contending team signs that #8-10 guy for depth, he is one of those guys. Nothing more unless he really improves.

Well, why don't we wait for him to prove himself this year. It will be a big year for him definitely.
And perhaps he will prove you wrong, of which I think he is very capable.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Not like this is some sort of praise worthy accomplishment but in the games he played he was probably Ottawa's steadiest and most consistent defensive presence.

Brian Lee went through massive role confusion after he was drafted. And it got worse when the regime changed and the Murray's had very little patience with him. Picked to be a Wade Redden replacement, he now has to look to Chris Phillips to model his game after. Has 0 shooting ability, 0 offensive hockey sense. All he is is simple and effective out of the zone, skates well and his defensive game is coming along.

Overrating him? I don't know. He played well. A #5 or #6 Dman on a good team is probably where he can get. He looks like he could play in the league for a while now, many Sens fans didnt think that would be happening.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Good skater, good passer but can't shoot the puck worth a damn. As many have said his defensive game is coming along nicely but a shutdown guy is a bit of a reach IMO. I see him as a guy who does alot of things well but not really anything great. He could grow into a #4 guy but not in Ottawa. He has dropped in the depth charts and will not climb above Karlsson, Rundblad or Cowen. Jason Smith coming to Ottawa was the best thing that could have happened to Brian Lee. I think he learned a lot from Jason Smith, especially defensive positioning and board play.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Weak draft. Smid was also 9th overall(2004) and was projected to have more offense than he has shown. IMO "great skating with the puck" and "good breakout pass" characteristics used to describe a prospect D-men rarely translate into a lot of NHL points. Ryan McDonagh is probably similar also.

Kopitar at 11 doesnt agree

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Brian Lee is an above average #5, right now. He was the dman you describe when he first broke into the NHL. I dont like Brian Lee at all but during the 2nd half of last year, calling him anything worse than a #5 is just wrong.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I thought he looked pretty good in the 2nd half. Some guys just take longer to develop. Certainly he could be a decent 3rd pairing d-man. Look at the stiffs still playing around this league. You think they're better than Lee? Another example of people commenting without any evidence. At least play him another yr and see what you got. IMO, Carkner should be moved out before Lee.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I find it laughable that other team's fans come on here and try to tell Sens fans what's what with Brian Lee, like we all didn't watch him play last year.

He still has no future here, but don't try to say he didn't develop into a perfect 5/6 guy who masqueraded as a top pairing shutdown D with Phillips, because I saw him do it (and I'm no fan of Lee).

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
The thing about Brian Lee is, he was never that great to begin with. He was terrible as an underager in the WJCs and his college career was mediocre. I never understood why he was favored by USA Hockey and then picked 9th overall. So he never really fell off, he's actually right where I expected him to be.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
If Lee is a bust at 9, at the time he is 23(I think). Then is Phillips a bust considering he was picked 1st and is a shutdown defenceman... second pairing type guy? Lee still has room to grow, and is going to become a serviceable #4 d-man. Not the best pick, but not a bad pick. And for the most part, no going to last in Ottawa unless he can prove himself as a solid top 4 this year. Either that or he will be traded. But he is in no way a bust.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The thing about Brian Lee is, he was never that great to begin with. He was terrible as an underager in the WJCs and his college career was mediocre. I never understood why he was favored by USA Hockey and then picked 9th overall. So he never really fell off, he's actually right where I expected him to be.

Good post. 100% agree.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
A few guys on the Sens board, including me, have always had high hopes for him and have continued to support him through the past couple years. Last year he had his breakout season and played very solid. He's gone from waiver fodder to a valuable dman on our team. Next year will be a very important one in his development. If he can continue to use his size and play with some confidence, he'll be fine and isn't worth trading from our point of view.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
The thing is, I never think he should of been drafted that high, yeah, he had good numbers at Moorhead, but that's high school hockey. The compeition there isn't that tough, he then played in the USHL and got 3 points in 12 games, although points don't mean much, for an apparent "offensive defenseman" at the time, those are pretty weak numbers. The playoffs he did step up, I have to admit. I just don't see why he's "a player to watch out for" next season, when he will be playing behind guys like Karlsson, Phillips, Gonchar etc. Yeah, he's good defensively, but he's never gonna live up to his potential and where he was picked.

Give me a team that Brian Lee would play top 4 minutes on other then Ottawa.

Last edited:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Almost any other team in the league.

You better be kidding.

Anaheim: Visnovsky, Beauchemin, Fowler, Lydman, Foster, Sbisa, Lee, Brookbank, Smaby, Carle

Boston: Chara, Seidenberg, Corvo, Ference, Boychuk, McQuaid, Lee, Kampfer

Buffalo: Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Leopold, Sekera, Morrissonn, Lee, Gragnani, Weber

Calgary: Giordano, Bouwmeester, Sarich, Babchuk, Lee, Butler, Carson

Carolina: Pitkanen, Gleason, Kaberle, McBain, Allen, Lee, Harrison, Joslin,

Chicago: Keith, Seabrook, Hjarmalsson, Leddy, Lespsito, Lee, O'Donnell, Mondator, Scott,

Colorado: Johnson, Quincey, Hejda, Wilson, O'Brien, Cumiskey, Lee, Gaunce, Hunwick

I could keep going.

Last edited:

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
The thing is, I never think he should of been drafted that high, yeah, he had good numbers at Moorhead, but that's high school hockey. The compeition there isn't that tough, he then played in the USHL and got 3 points in 12 games, although points don't mean much, for an apparent "offensive defenseman" at the time, those are pretty weak numbers. The playoffs he did step up, I have to admit. I just don't see why he's "a player to watch out for" next season, when he will be playing behind guys like Karlsson, Phillips, Gonchar etc. Yeah, he's good defensively, but he's never gonna live up to his potential and where he was picked.

Give me a team that Brian Lee would play top 4 minutes on other then Ottawa.

People who still expect him to live to up 9th overall will continue to be disappointed.

If you disregard that and view him as a player in itself, he's quite serviceable. At some point, you need to forget about his draft position and what his potential was back then and need to look at the present and see what you have. Right now he's a fine defensive dman with a slick breakout pass. He won't be paid much but can play on the 2nd powerplay, PK, and second pairing if he has to. He's not going to play like a 9th overall, but he isn't getting paid as one.

Draft position is irrelevant now.

Jan 9, 2011
Victoria, BC
You better be kidding.

Anaheim: Visnovsky, Beauchemin, Fowler, Lydman, Foster, Sbisa, Lee, Brookbank, Smaby, Carle

Boston: Chara, Seidenberg, Corvo, Ference, Boychuk, McQuaid, Lee, Kampfer

Buffalo: Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Leopold, Sekera, Morrissonn, Lee, Gragnani, Weber

Calgary: Giordano, Bouwmeester, Sarich, Babchuk, Lee, Butler, Carson

Carolina: Pitkanen, Gleason, Kaberle, McBain, Allen, Lee, Harrison, Joslin,

Chicago: Keith, Seabrook, Hjarmalsson, Leddy, Lespsito, Lee, O'Donnell, Mondator, Scott,

Colorado: Johnson, Quincey, Hejda, Wilson, O'Brien, Cumiskey, Lee, Gaunce, Hunwick

I could keep going.

Watch him actually play a game and he will shock you! :) (Good way)

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
I have seen him a play a few times and what struck me was how "un-physical" he played. His skating kept him in position but he rarely played the body nor did he look to take the forward to the boards and paste/hold him there.

Then I read he was sent down, then waived and openly reported to being shopped around with no takers.

To Lee's credit he made the best of his latest chance when called back up.

From the January call up he seems to have played about 20-22 minutes a game on average with a few stinkers namely a -3 against Buffalo on March 13th and a bunch of -2 games against detroit, pitt, nyr and van.

He was a -9 in March alone

top 4 ? well I hope so because I have him in my sim league :laugh:

but 5/6/7 seems more likely

then again he is only 24 years old

best of luck to him and the senators this upcoming season

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Lee seemed to turn a corner last year, although that's happened before, only to see him take a step back. But he's in the NHL, on a one-way deal, on a rebuilding club which should be patient with young players, so maybe for the first time he's in a situation conducive to his development.

I think with players like Lee, their draft position was more of a curse than a blessing. I think his career could be similar to Scott Lachance or Curtis Leschyshyn, both guys who went very high, were projected as mobile puckmovers, but just never really put up the points in the NHL. Both guys had long careers though as useful #3-5 defencemen who made a good first pass, played smart position hockey and didn't hurt you in any way. Maybe Lee won't have the longevity of those guys, but they weren't busts, even if they fell far short of their imagined potential.

The Brian Lee/Marc Staal thing is interesting because in many ways their roles have been reversed. At the time, Staal was projected as a stay at home guy who didn't have a lot of upside. Just not a very interesting prospect, it was believed, but somebody who would most likely play in the league and be solid. Lee was a raw High School player who looked about 12 years old and intrigued people at the WJC. Now, Lee's the solid, quiet stay-at-home guy, and Staal has turned into a two-way stud.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I have seen him a play a few times and what struck me was how "un-physical" he played. His skating kept him in position but he rarely played the body nor did he look to take the forward to the boards and paste/hold him there.

Then I read he was sent down, then waived and openly reported to being shopped around with no takers.

To Lee's credit he made the best of his latest chance when called back up.

From the January call up he seems to have played about 20-22 minutes a game on average with a few stinkers namely a -3 against Buffalo on March 13th and a bunch of -2 games against detroit, pitt, nyr and van.

He was a -9 in March alone

top 4 ? well I hope so because I have him in my sim league :laugh:

but 5/6/7 seems more likely

then again he is only 24 years old

best of luck to him and the senators this upcoming season

You look like you looked at a bunch of box scores and looked at a Lee's stats. I tell you, you're doing it wrong. +/- ? He's playing on one of the worst teams in the league, that stat is severely misused. Stats don't tell the story for Brian Lee. People gotta realize this.

I know you were defending him, in a way, but you're looking at this all wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad